Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Upwind Rotations

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Upwind Rotations

Postby OzBungy » Mon May 21, 2018 2:42 am

I see Øyvind and others doing upwind rotations, seemingly at will with no apparent speed or kite power involved. How does that happen?

If I try that I end up doing a carving 360 (with varying degrees of success), or just stop dead.

I can do quite tight downwind turns, but there is pull from the kite to make it happen.

https://youtu.be/HYFsiENIKrY?t=34s

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Upwind Rotations

Postby jakemoore » Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Ha! I have the opposite problem. I’d like to do a carving 360. When I make it around on foil it usually feels like I stop and pivot around the mast. I can’t figure out how to open up the turn. Most of the time the result is a swim.

And downwind my turns are too wide only resulting in slack lines if I don’t downloop in time.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm
Ha! I have the opposite problem. I’d like to do a carving 360. When I make it around on foil it usually feels like I stop and pivot around the mast. I can’t figure out how to open up the turn. Most of the time the result is a swim.

And downwind my turns are too wide only resulting in slack lines if I don’t downloop in time.
More speed into the 360, slowly kiteloop at the same time you rotate. Pratice makes perfect

super_padge
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Mexico
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox
Vella Island - Sri Lanka
Style: freeride
Gear: 7m Core Nexus
9m Core XR6

Axis freeride foil - 600 wing
Brand Affiliation: I tried a core kite and now can't go back....
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby super_padge » Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 pm

ha ha, i'm trying to get my tacks and and turning too much into the wind - i just end up over rotating and nearly making a 360!

the (admittedly few) tacks i made found i needed to get my weight forward in both feet much earlier than i thought, and then dive the kite hard to change direction.
i have a faster foil so my 360's need to be in a wide turning circle in order to get round foiling.
At the moment i'm just happy to get round and not too fussed by touching down - it's slow progress but fun trying!

Return to “Hydrofoil”