Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

ideal LEI for freeride/race

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
mcfly777
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Coyote Point, Half Moon Bay Half Moon Bay (SF Bay Area)
Gear: Kite + board
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

ideal LEI for freeride/race

Postby mcfly777 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:06 am

I am an intermediate foiler and have been riding Moses for about a year now. My style of riding is freeriding but more and more race/speed oriented (I don't compete and don't intend to). My kite quiver is composed of a Cabrinha FX 6, 8, and 10m, which gives me a substantial wind range. However, as I'm leaning back more while going upwind faster and faster, the kite seems to deform. I have posted this on another thread, and despite pumping really hard, there is still some of that, and the power delivery is unstable, and there's less steering control. The issue arises that in order for the kite to not deform, while I am riding without going upwind I feel underpowered, and going downwind is slow. These kites (in my view) were not designed to handle so much power consistently and with so much apparent speed while going upwind at very steep angles. So it doesn't seem like the right design for the style of riding.

So, I am looking at kites that are more suitable for that style of riding. I do not want a foil kite at the moment, would like to stay with LEI. I am therefore considering higher aspect kites that fly further forward in the wind window. The leaders in this segment seem to be the Ozone Edge and Cabrinha Apollo. Any others? Or even better, any adjustments that can be made (shorter/longer lines, different connection points) that could mitigate this issue?

thanks

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: ideal LEI for freeride/race

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 24, 2018 4:17 am

Tried the B-setting on the kite?

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 am

Make the jump to a foil kite. The Flysurfer Soul and Ozone Chrono v3 are pretty forgiving as a first foil.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 am

F-One Furtive seems to fit the bill.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu May 24, 2018 5:34 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 am
Make the jump to a foil kite. The Flysurfer Soul and Ozone Chrono v3 are pretty forgiving as a first foil.
I second that!
I wish mcfly777 explained why he wouldn't consider a foil. Probably heard too many derogatory (and uninformed) comments from people who have never flown them.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Thu May 24, 2018 5:59 pm

alexrider wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:34 pm
foilonfoil wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 am
I second that!
I wish mcfly777 explained why he wouldn't consider a foil. Probably heard too many derogatory (and uninformed) comments from people who have never flown them.
Agreed. There is no LEI that comes close to the performance and handling of a foil kite. The Apollo is Cabrinha's version of the F-One Furtive and it has been selling for more than 18 months now. Cabrinha did not even bother to register it for Formula Kite... http://formulakite.com/images/documents ... 0kites.pdf Course racing requires a high aspect ratio kite for upwind performance and lots of surface area for downwind performance.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 pm

I would guess the Ozone edge is good lei for upwind speed.
You said you don't want to go for foil kites, but you should consider them, especially for the kind of riding you are doing.
I've been kiting since 2002, and I recently got an Ozone Hyperlink 9m UL, Have 7 sessions so far. Lite and high end.
It's an amazing difference, and the power is super smooth, no jerky or fluttery kite. the range covers my North Monos 12-9m
On the water it's easy to fly and most significantly, makes foiling easier and transitions easier as there is more, more consistent and more even power in the lines. It makes a huge difference. Even though it's a mud aspect foil, it's noticeably faster upwind and better upwind angle than my Monos. ( Not that surprising).
Despite being the most expensive piece of kiting equipment I have ever bought, it looks like it was worth it. Only open Question is how long will it last.
Learning to launch and land it alone is the biggest hurdle, but I'm pretty confident now.

mcfly777
Medium Poster

Postby mcfly777 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the very helpful comments.

Regarding my avoidance of foil kites: I appreciate the flying characteristics of a foil kite...that is exactly what I am looking for. In contrast to that, I am very concerned about the setup/bridles (and tuning/maintenance), as well as the issue of swimming with a foil kite. Maybe this is silly, and why I looked at the Hyperlink when it came out as a strong possibility. I may need to reconsider it. Also, the high cost associated with a foil kite.

Also, I haven't tried the B setting on my kite, will def do that next.

What I think it's worth doing next:
- demo the Cab Apollo
- demo a (modern) foil kite, hopefully the Hyperlink or the new Chrono. I haven't seen anyone here flying Flysurfer so it's unlikely that I will have access to it.

Perhaps I find that the performance of a foil kite is so superior that I accept the downsides of it.

thanks!

jherlong
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, NC
Favorite Beaches: Emerald Isle, NC,
OBX, Isle of Palms,SC, Aruba,Antigua,Barbuda,Key West,FL,Playa del Carmen,Grenadines
Style: Freeride, waves, rolls, air
Gear: Cabrinha SB 9 and 12, Apollo 14
Flysurfer Soul 12
Lyft foilboard
Cabrinha Ace
Shinn Monk 130 2010
Jimmy Lewis 133
Ben Wilson Drifter 5'9" and few other kitesurfboards
150 mako 2011

Postby jherlong » Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Funny you mentioned the Apollo. I have a 2017 Cab Apollo 14 and just bought a Flysurfer Soul 12 that flies faster with more power than the Apollo 14 imo. A friend also had a 15 contra which we switched off and the FS12 seemed to have more power because of kite speed. Decent drift too. Just listed the Cab Apollo 14 if you want one. I took the soul out of the bag and rode in waist high onshore winds on my surfboard first day with no problems, my first foil kite. Now considering getting the Soul 8 for use with foilboard.

mcfly777
Medium Poster

Postby mcfly777 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:05 pm

I'm looking to get a relatively small kite (~9m) as I will only foil with it. Problem with the Soul is that it's sooo expensive. more than twice the cost of an Apollo.

Return to “Hydrofoil”