Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

CF F-lite foil board with Moses Onda 633 combo review

Postby fun2kite » Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 am

Hi all,

People asked me for a review of f-lite board with Onda, so here it is.
There are two of us here on our local beach who bought this board and Onda set. My buddy was out numerous times already and I was out only 3 times with this setup.

Both us totally love the setup and higly recommend Onda with a no-volume board as you don't need volume on the board anymore for most situations. (I only tried CF f-lite, but I am sure other boards with a track or multiple holes will work as well.

Pros:

Onda produces so much early lift that you don't need volume board to get going. Literally you just need to extend your front leg during iniital kite-dive and you come up instantly on the first dive from 6 knots +.

Onda is insanely stable. You can almost think about something else, listen to music , push the board down, up, sideways as you ride and it just recovers to a stable position.

Riding without straps on this combo is super easy. What surprised me was the fact that it literally floats on its side with the front wing remaining at the surface by itself! That means, you don't need to be quick to get on the board before it sinks. It just sits there just waiting for you to get on. it even continues to float like this all by itself , sometimes for a minute when you fall off and lose the board.

Despite the fact that board has no volume, I was comfortably sitting on it during kite relaunch. ie: it can support your weight.. I suspect the reason is that Onda wing provides some additional buoyancy (is it hollow inside??? ) anyway, don't know why, but it was NOT sinking under me when I was sitting on it.

Board is stiff enough.. I did some jumps and landings were nice and I did not feel the board wobble under me..

Board is 115 cm and 2.5 kg! Finally a travel set that will fit into a small bag.

Board is a thing of beauty. really pleasure to hold and stand on.

Board is very comfortable and does not feel small .

I could go pretty fast, despite this huge wing.. (another thread discussing the top speed). But the point is it was a comfortable ride. The wing was not becoming unstable at higher speed. But, I could feel increasingly more lift and increasing pressure on my from foot as speed increased ..

Can go VERY VERY slow! and still be flying.. awesome.. practice tricks at low speed.

My buddy is now doing aerial transitions on this combo.. (he was also doing them on T40 ). it seem very effortless for him.
And he did not bring his T40 back to the beach even once since he got the f-lite.

We now use 76 keys "electrical keyboard" bags that can be bought for $20 USD on aliexpress as a carrying case. Useful when boarding a plane. Instead of claiming old "golf" excuse, you can pretend to be a musician :)

For carrying the set to the beach fully assembled, we use "wakeboard edge protector type bags" https://www.buywake.com/liquid-force-20 ... eboard-bag. so the edges are protected while mast is already attached.

Here are two videos of my buddy enjoying his Onda + Cf-lite setup:

https://www.facebook.com/lohszewei/vide ... 942940343/

https://www.facebook.com/lohszewei/vide ... 943095343/

Picture of CF-light board: https://www.crazyflykites.com/cf2018/boards/f-lite

Cons:

The fact that foil can sit on it's edge is good for easy starts, but also can be a negative.
If wind start pushing against the board as it sits on it's side, the foil can start going upwind instead of coming to you downwind.
Could be serious issue if you get really unlucky and foil just refuse to dip into vertical position and keep going upwind on it's own.

I think having a volume board during self-rescue can't be understated. I did not do self-rescue with this board yet, but I am sure, it will not hold as much of a wet foil kite as my T40 did.
Also, puddlng on T40/60 would be easier.

If you do touchdown gybes / transitions, it is obviously much harder as the board sinks under you. Volume board, works better for learning transitions.

I think CF missed an opportunity to make extra holes on the board for regular twintip fins. If they did, this board could be used as a mutant-twintip for high wind conditions.
That would be awesome to use same board as hydrofoil in low wind and mutant twintip when wind is too high to foil.
However, even without fins, you can ride this board finless as a directional mutant.

Conclussion:

Must have in my opinion. Could be ultimate travel setup.
One board, one kite quiver is finally a reality, as switching wings can give you huge range. so say 12M kite + Onda + 560 + f-light is probably all you need for many conditions.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Re: CF F-lite foil board with Moses Onda 633 combo review

Postby Flag53 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks for the review fun2kite .

Could you tell me if you lay the board flat , how much nose rocker does it have in cm ?

Cheers

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 am

An Update:
My fear of the foilboard floating upwind from me came true yesterday. The wind was very light straight on-shore (6-7 knots) and I fell of the board and was trying to bodydrag back to the board with my Flysurfer Sonic FR 15M. I could not bodydrag upwind as there was not enough wind and I had to concentrate on keeping the kite flying as we also have strong current during some parts of the day.

So the board remained on it's side (the wing floating at the surface) and as I was slowly dragged towards the beach with each bodydrag turn, my board had remained upwind and probably was even slowly going upwind with the wind pushing against the board. If the foil went into the water, the board would quickly catch up with me doing downwind, but the wing just stuck at the surface.

So, with Moses Onda wing and a small no-volume board, this could be a serious issue if you are stuck some distance offshore. Luckily for me, it was not too far from the beach and somebody on a sailboat saved the board and brought it downwind of me and I recovered it and was able to ride off and continue my session.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Mon May 28, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks for the update fun2kite !
Could you do me a huge favor and provide the Data Front Screw Backstrap in cm behind Front Screw Mast and Back Screw Front Strap to Front Screw Back Strap. You‘re looking very relaxed and most users use Front straps only or go strapless, so you would help me a lot !
Last edited by Foxi on Mon May 28, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon May 28, 2018 11:45 am

Strange... My onda on small no volume board always very slowly sink. 91cm Mast. Was it salt or fresh water?

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Mon May 28, 2018 12:04 pm

The problem with such boards is flex. You want exactly zero flex when hydrofoiling. That's why I can't think about any other board while I'm riding light carbon Moses T60 Sport.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Small board big wing lighter carbon foil, yes I have also had a combo of mine sit on its side almost going upwind.

Only if higher winds though, never in light wind.

It does not "run away" upwind, it just sits and you have to bodydrag a lot more and better.

We are so spoiled used to not bodydrag well anymore when foiling, as our foils dolphins fast downwind if even the slightest chop.

Compared to a TT board, or a really small hydrofoil skimboard barely floating, it drifts the same I think - close to not drifting at all.

Bodydragging "better" is a skill needed now, but have always been able to do it on these occasions it sits sideways wind keeping the wing high.

IF it really goes upwind by itself, it is another issue - would like to see if any does that ?

One could try to put it on its side in some wind, standing at waist or chest high water - and see if it goes upwind, or just halfwind or simply really slow downwind.

8) PF

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Mon May 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:51 pm
Small board big wing lighter carbon foil, yes I have also had a combo of mine sit on its side almost going upwind.

Only if higher winds though, never in light wind.

It does not "run away" upwind, it just sits and you have to bodydrag a lot more and better.

We are so spoiled used to not bodydrag well anymore when foiling, as our foils dolphins fast downwind if even the slightest chop.

Compared to a TT board, or a really small hydrofoil skimboard barely floating, it drifts the same I think - close to not drifting at all.

Bodydragging "better" is a skill needed now, but have always been able to do it on these occasions it sits sideways wind keeping the wing high.

IF it really goes upwind by itself, it is another issue - would like to see if any does that ?

One could try to put it on its side in some wind, standing at waist or chest high water - and see if it goes upwind, or just halfwind or simply really slow downwind.

8) PF
I have seen a Naish board that floated on its side actually "sail" away from the rider. The combo of board windage and one wing in the water actually allowed it to go laterally to the wind at enough of a clip that the rider couldn't get to it. Body dragging with the correct body extended with arm out and concentrating on being a "keel" can be very effective....but I see people getting all frustrated they can't get anywhere with legs dangling below. Good thing to practice!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon May 28, 2018 4:58 pm

When the Onda wing is set on my 101 mast and attached to my Featherlight 120 Groove Skate it stubonly sits on its side after I have bodydraged out to deep water, it just refuses to sink so much I sometimes have to place my body weight back on the board to force the wing under the surface,
Another thing I have discovered is that when using the Skate but not the Moses T40 I can not only slow the board down to near a stop but I can take the board down to just a few cm above the surface and gybe the board round without touching down this feels so weird but so good as I have discovered a easier way to swap feet , I believe it's the wing combo along with the tiny lightweight board as the board is so pitch stable it makes this relatively easy.
So this is a pro when using the Onda on a short and light board.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Tue May 29, 2018 6:49 am

5 cm of a tip of the nose to the floor.
Flag53 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 pm
Thanks for the review fun2kite .

Could you tell me if you lay the board flat , how much nose rocker does it have in cm ?

Cheers

Return to “Hydrofoil”