Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Hatteras N.C
Gear: some kite and a stick.
Brand Affiliation: LF
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Are The Olympics Good For Kiteboarding

Postby cpotapoff » Thu May 31, 2018 1:14 am

A really controversial topic that I expect the highest amount of backlash possible, but will the Olympics actually be good for the sport of Kiteboarding? Think it's something that needs to be thought about deeper than just thinking it's our big break.

https://www.gust.ca/news/are-the-olympi ... teboarding

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Are The Olympics Good For Kiteboarding

Postby knotwindy » Thu May 31, 2018 1:57 am

Nope, for most riders I doubt it will make any difference at all. Best case is your friends will know what kiteboarding is instead of thinking it is paragliding. Worse case is your beach gets a bit more crowded with newbies that get it banned.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu May 31, 2018 5:08 am

The issue is bigger. World Sailing now claim to be the world authority of ALL forms of kiteboarding on water in order that they get olympic funding from the IOC.

The sailing clubs dont want kiting but were threatened by IOC that funding may be pulled if it was not.

Yeah lets have sailors, sailing clubs and world sailing risk managing our safety. What a great idea... they know all about kites, flying, wings and piloting.

Worlds biggest conflicts of interests in sport right now.

World Sailing = bottom feeding kooks.

cpotapoff
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Manitoba
Hatteras N.C

Postby cpotapoff » Thu May 31, 2018 5:16 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:08 am
The issue is bigger. World Sailing now claim to be the world authority of ALL forms of kiteboarding on water in order that they get olympic funding from the IOC.

The sailing clubs dont want kiting but were threatened by IOC that funding may be pulled if it was not.

Yeah lets have sailors, sailing clubs and world sailing risk managing our safety. What a great idea... they know all about kites, flying, wings and piloting.

Worlds biggest conflicts of interests in sport right now.

World Sailing = bottom feeding kooks.
Didn't even think of this, so that would make World Sailing determine all kiteboarding World Champions or just racing?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu May 31, 2018 5:47 am

All kiteboarding champions.. rediculous

World Sailing have been making legal threats to kiteboarder organised events and putting rival events on a banned events list so that riders cannot enter them.

As World Sailing says "We will protect and defend on behalf of our stakeholders" who are.... sailors.. they don't kite ...including legal action of course.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu May 31, 2018 7:50 am

cpotapoff wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:14 am
A really controversial topic that I expect the highest amount of backlash possible, but will the Olympics actually be good for the sport of Kiteboarding? Think it's something that needs to be thought about deeper than just thinking it's our big break.

Which ever dick wrote that article clearly hasn’t seen Guy or Olly Bridge

They can and have won European freestyle titles, and have an all around game better than most

Point me at another top freestyler or wavevrider that can foil/race at the same kind of level As thier main discipline.

Saying the worlds best don’t compete at the Olympics... they do in that discipline.

As for the rest of this thread it’s going to be the exact same thing trotted out by our deluded kiwi as it was on at least three other threads.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Thu May 31, 2018 8:01 am

No not good...already too many people in the spots

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 am

The article is absolutely on point.

and who in their right mind would want to dedicate 5 years of their life to olympic training when your opposite sex team mate taking part in a completely separate race will determine your medal chances (single male/single female team event. one medal only). Only 3 females turned up for formula kite events on all of planet earth! Maybe give out medals for simply competing like some schools do these days lol!

World Sailing are clearly insane

Drone footage of kite racing is awesome.. for about 5 mins.. then watching lawn mowing - the novelty wears off.

cpotapoff
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Manitoba
Hatteras N.C

Postby cpotapoff » Thu May 31, 2018 4:04 pm

james wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:50 am
cpotapoff wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:14 am

Which ever dick wrote that article clearly hasn’t seen Guy or Olly Bridge

They can and have won European freestyle titles, and have an all around game better than most

Point me at another top freestyler or wavevrider that can foil/race at the same kind of level As thier main discipline.

Saying the worlds best don’t compete at the Olympics... they do in that discipline.

As for the rest of this thread it’s going to be the exact same thing trotted out by our deluded kiwi as it was on at least three other threads.
You're saying that the European Freestyle titles compare to the world tour? Like Carlos Mario or Liam Whaley wouldn't absolutely obliterate those guys. You also forgot to mention the most talented Bridge, Tom. We can't even name what that guy does on a kite.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu May 31, 2018 4:24 pm

As an all round rider.... across all disciplines are Carlos and Liam as good wave riding and strapless freestyle or racing?

And yeah Tom is seriously good too and kills it on a foil but to say one of the boys is the most talented does them all a dis service

Sorry I didnt fan boy over your article.

Return to “Kitesurfing”