Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Boost
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Foil Kite advice Chrono, Hyperlink, Soul

Postby Luchini » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi there,

just thinking about to Switch my kites to foil kites. I already could try the Flysurfer Soul in 15 and 10m. For the 15 the wind was unfortunately to much on the 10 it was quite fun but above 12knots i had the feeling i could change to a smaller kite because the depower didn't change as expected.

I'm freeriding with a bit Ambition to speed but also like fast turning kites.
Because i mostly ride inland on a lake the lowend/Relaunch and gust stability should be good.
Also thought about the Ozone UL Version which supposed to be good.

What i would like to know is the comparision from aspec ratio, turning speed and depower.

I thought about the following Options:

Flysurfer Soul: 15,10,8 (or 6)

Ozone Chrono: 15,11,7 or 13,9,7

Ozone Hyperlink: 12,9,7

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Foil Kite advice Chrono,Hyperlink, Soul

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Regardless of your choice, choose Ultralight model in your biggest size (quite important), on the others the normal version is ok.

Also the Chrono V3 is much closer to a "race" kite, then any of your other options.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:01 pm

I love the Hyperlink a lot for its ease of use in tricky conditions.
For riding on lakes, in strong and gusty winds, longer trips down the coast,... I used tube-.kites for a long time still, even though on foil-kites mostly when conditions were smooth.
The Hyperlink changed this.
It became my number one kite and eliminated all tube-kites from my hydrofoil quiver. This is the case since the model release a year ago.
The 12m UL is awesome in lulls down to almost nothing, it hangs in the air waiting for the next gust that can get you up and going again.
And if it does not, the chances to relaunch are very good.

I love it. I sell it too. I do because I like it that much and think it is a very good choice for a lot of people.
What actually surprised me most is that I did not stop riding it after testing it, which I thought I would only do to know what to tell customers about it.
How wrong I was...

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Luchini,
I have one foil kite, the hyperlink 9m UL, which I'm using only on Hydrofoil. I have 15 sessions on it since May1. This session record for me in May. My first foil kite after 16 years kiting.

Now I have fallen in love with the smooth power and ability to depower without fluttering or loss of steering control.
I would love to have Chronos V3 13m UL or Hyperlink 12m UL for even lighter wind. I am using Hyperlink down to 6ms/10 knots.
And I would like a smaller foil for 17-24 knots.
But if I count the days I would have used bigger or smaller foil kite last 40 days, it is 3 days...bigger Foil 2 days
So 9m is used 11 days, really perfect, other 2 sizes would have been preferred 3 days....

I am on ocean in western Sweden

Luchini
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Boost
Been thanked: 0

Postby Luchini » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Dear Pedro i know that the Chrono is bit more race like but probably not like the flysurfer sonic i guess.

@ Frank do you got the 12UL in stock? What is the limit in knots do get up with some loops?
Got a 11 Boost2 and my friend got a Chrono15 first Generation there is not much difference in low guesty wind, therefore i thought about a 15 new generation instead of 12.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Luchini wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 pm
Dear Pedro i know that the Chrono is bit more race like but probably not like the flysurfer sonic i guess.

@ Frank do you got the 12UL in stock? What is the limit in knots do get up with some loops?
Got a 11 Boost2 and my friend got a Chrono15 first Generation there is not much difference in low guesty wind, therefore i thought about a 15 new generation instead of 12.

Ready to ship, yes.
I feel it is tricky to define exact windspeeds, especially when talking about lower limit. There are so many variables and also it is kind of impossible to have comparable measurements and 1 knot difference in this area is a massive difference.
If you push me to drop a number I am saying 6 knots.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 am

I wonder why we don’t hear more about Chrono V3?

I like Hyperlink quite a lot. We are blessed with plenty of steady wind. Speed 4 8 Lotus used to be my go to kite for hydrofoil. Now it’s Hyperlink 7. I have the 9 for our light wind days. I don’t need a bigger kite, but could use one if I wanted more power or speed.

Very curious about Soul and Pulsion as well.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 am

jakemoore wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 am
I wonder why we don’t hear more about Chrono V3?
I think the price keeps people away and the fact that Hyperlink is so popular and cheaper. Probably difficult for new kite buyers to justify going for a ChronoV3 instead of the Hyperlink.

I don't know of anyone besides myself riding one in Western Australia. Great kite though, glad I went for that instead of Hyperlink. Enjoying the extra performance and still easy to fly and stable.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings

Postby pitbulldoug » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 am

Luchini wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 pm
Hi there,

just thinking about to Switch my kites to foil kites. I already could try the Flysurfer Soul in 15 and 10m. For the 15 the wind was unfortunately to much on the 10 it was quite fun but above 12knots i had the feeling i could change to a smaller kite because the depower didn't change as expected.

I'm freeriding with a bit Ambition to speed but also like fast turning kites.
Because i mostly ride inland on a lake the lowend/Relaunch and gust stability should be good.
Also thought about the Ozone UL Version which supposed to be good.

What i would like to know is the comparision from aspec ratio, turning speed and depower.

I thought about the following Options:

Flysurfer Soul: 15,10,8 (or 6)

Ozone Chrono: 15,11,7 or 13,9,7

Ozone Hyperlink: 12,9,7
I would seriously take some time to rethink your idea on changing to a foil kites especially if you say your into free riding and like "fast turning kites" perhaps if your racing might be food for thought and have a chase jetski if you drop em a distance from shore but for everyday freeriding I would save some dough and stick to LEI single struts quite a few good ones out there these days that are very good for foiling and much safer.I personally was intrigued by the foil kites as well and purchased a ozone 12m HL with bar over 2grand what a waste very slow turning especially if you foil strapless like myself the waterstarts are much more difficult with a slug foil kite just way slower than a good foil tube kite,lowend was fairly impressive on the HL, however for the $spent my 12m boxer has just as much lowed but turns much faster for strapless water starts,downlooping etc and heeps safer,don't need to get into it but we all know that when the foil kites go down it certainly is not a pretty picture.I had 2 decent swims albeit pilot error on my part on downlooping and catching a wingtip with my HL and paid the piper rolling that kite up fast and swimming/paddling in with it not fun at all,so I retired it to the garage and finally decided and sold it couple weeks ago at a loss of coarse!tThe old to each his own on your equipment as usual,but before you piss your $ away you might rethink it and learn by others mistakes.The only advantage I see with a foil kite foiling is if your a racer or want to ride in some ridiculous low wind with a 17-19m ultra light to set yourself up for a horrendous swim if the Sh*% hits the fan,LEI by far excel in all facets especially in the ocean foiling in swell and waves and most of all good ole safety,If you do make the plunge I would highly suggest a real floaty board to assist in paddling in to the beach when the sh*$ hits the fan because you will drop it eventually,just some friendly honest advice been there.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 am

If you can try to get some demo's between the Soul and Hyperlink but from what I've read with people who have flown both, Soul has more power, easier to use, and more refined. Since you're new to foils, another plus from the Soul is the 12 month warranty. You can learn without worrying about crashing and damaging the kite which is nice. Not sure on your weight but if you plan to hydrofoil for the light wind days then you really don't need anything larger than a 12m/15m. I think a 8m/15m is a decent two kite quiver and once you get the hang of it, you can hold down quite a lot of wind. Had an epic big air session this morning in 25kts+ on my Soul 15m and I was able to hold it down pretty easily. I weigh 185lbs.

=Jason-

Return to “Hydrofoil”