Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Foil Kite advice Chrono,Hyperlink, Soul

Postby cwood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:46 am

pitbulldoug wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 am
Luchini wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 pm
Hi there,

just thinking about to Switch my kites to foil kites. I already could try the Flysurfer Soul in 15 and 10m. For the 15 the wind was unfortunately to much on the 10 it was quite fun but above 12knots i had the feeling i could change to a smaller kite because the depower didn't change as expected.

I'm freeriding with a bit Ambition to speed but also like fast turning kites.
Because i mostly ride inland on a lake the lowend/Relaunch and gust stability should be good.
Also thought about the Ozone UL Version which supposed to be good.

What i would like to know is the comparision from aspec ratio, turning speed and depower.

I thought about the following Options:

Flysurfer Soul: 15,10,8 (or 6)

Ozone Chrono: 15,11,7 or 13,9,7

Ozone Hyperlink: 12,9,7
I would seriously take some time to rethink your idea on changing to a foil kites especially if you say your into free riding and like "fast turning kites" perhaps if your racing might be food for thought and have a chase jetski if you drop em a distance from shore but for everyday freeriding I would save some dough and stick to LEI single struts quite a few good ones out there these days that are very good for foiling and much safer.I personally was intrigued by the foil kites as well and purchased a ozone 12m HL with bar over 2grand what a waste very slow turning especially if you foil strapless like myself the waterstarts are much more difficult with a slug foil kite just way slower than a good foil tube kite,lowend was fairly impressive on the HL, however for the $spent my 12m boxer has just as much lowed but turns much faster for strapless water starts,downlooping etc and heeps safer,don't need to get into it but we all know that when the foil kites go down it certainly is not a pretty picture.I had 2 decent swims albeit pilot error on my part on downlooping and catching a wingtip with my HL and paid the piper rolling that kite up fast and swimming/paddling in with it not fun at all,so I retired it to the garage and finally decided and sold it couple weeks ago at a loss of coarse!tThe old to each his own on your equipment as usual,but before you piss your $ away you might rethink it and learn by others mistakes.The only advantage I see with a foil kite foiling is if your a racer or want to ride in some ridiculous low wind with a 17-19m ultra light to set yourself up for a horrendous swim if the Sh*% hits the fan,LEI by far excel in all facets especially in the ocean foiling in swell and waves and most of all good ole safety,If you do make the plunge I would highly suggest a real floaty board to assist in paddling in to the beach when the sh*$ hits the fan because you will drop it eventually,just some friendly honest advice been there.
Certainly understand your position. Foils are something one either gets bitten by or does not. If you get bitten it is very hard to go back...but not for everyone that is for certain.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jkrug » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 pm

yeah, my experience with foils was the same. lasted two days on it and went back to LEI. problems: all those damn lines on the kite, the unbearable slowness of the kite, the fear of dropping it into the water. i know i could've gotten better at flying it, but i genuinely disliked the feel of them knowing how much faster my LEI's are. when you say you want fast turning kites, that eliminates foils completely. they are SLOW turners, period. many people are ok with that, but i personally prefer whipping a kite around to generate speed, and the newer one strut LEI's give me all i need.
Last edited by jkrug on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:36 pm

[/quote]

I would seriously take some time to rethink your idea on changing to a foil kites especially if you say your into free riding and like "fast turning kites" perhaps if your racing might be food for thought and have a chase jetski if you drop em a distance from shore but for everyday freeriding I would save some dough and stick to LEI single struts quite a few good ones out there these days that are very good for foiling and much safer.I personally was intrigued by the foil kites as well and purchased a ozone 12m HL with bar over 2grand what a waste very slow turning especially if you foil strapless like myself the waterstarts are much more difficult with a slug foil kite just way slower than a good foil tube kite,lowend was fairly impressive on the HL, however for the $spent my 12m boxer has just as much lowed but turns much faster for strapless water starts,downlooping etc and heeps safer,don't need to get into it but we all know that when the foil kites go down it certainly is not a pretty picture.I had 2 decent swims albeit pilot error on my part on downlooping and catching a wingtip with my HL and paid the piper rolling that kite up fast and swimming/paddling in with it not fun at all,so I retired it to the garage and finally decided and sold it couple weeks ago at a loss of coarse!tThe old to each his own on your equipment as usual,but before you piss your $ away you might rethink it and learn by others mistakes.The only advantage I see with a foil kite foiling is if your a racer or want to ride in some ridiculous low wind with a 17-19m ultra light to set yourself up for a horrendous swim if the Sh*% hits the fan,LEI by far excel in all facets especially in the ocean foiling in swell and waves and most of all good ole safety,If you do make the plunge I would highly suggest a real floaty board to assist in paddling in to the beach when the sh*$ hits the fan because you will drop it eventually,just some friendly honest advice been there.
[/quote]

your attitude makes me sleep way better again .. :cool2:

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm

I think that some here think that what they like is the best thing mankind can do, and people who like something else is just dumb.

Me personally, I like jumping high no matter how light the wind is, and the only way to do that is to have a big and slow freeride foil kite that is a pain in the arse when the wind drops.

But! It has POWER! And that's fun in my dictionary, and really I haven't seen anybody outjumping me on a LEI kite in 8-12 knots no matter how many struts it lacks.

You just need to follow that rule to avoid swimmming: if you can't jump more then 2 mast heights is time to go ashore.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:39 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm
You just need to follow that rule to avoid swimmming: if you can't jump more then 2 mast heights is time to go ashore.
that might be a good rule IF the wind never dropped out suddenly and completely, but most of us know it can and sometimes does. Whether you drop your foil kite or your LEI, it ain't much fun. The problem with foil boarding is that we tend to push the limits, i.e., how low can we go? and when you do that, you're much more prone to putting the kite down and not being able to recover. obviously, foil kites tend to stay up better in the lightest of winds. but for me, that sole advantage wasn't enough to switch from LEIs.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Yes foil kites are a pain, BUT, that sessions when im out on the 17m or 19m and every LEI just drops from the sky are just priceless :)

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm
I think that some here think that what they like is the best thing mankind can do, and people who like something else is just dumb.

Me personally, I like jumping high no matter how light the wind is, and the only way to do that is to have a big and slow freeride foil kite that is a pain in the arse when the wind drops.

But! It has POWER! And that's fun in my dictionary, and really I haven't seen anybody outjumping me on a LEI kite in 8-12 knots no matter how many struts it lacks.

yup! No feeling like it. Sending my 11m Sonic2 in 15 knots of wind makes me giggle like a little girl.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:40 pm

To me it depends on wind speed. Because below 8 knots LEI are a pain. Ok foilkite are much articulated at first sight but the reward is on water vs LEI which are not relaunchable under 11, not compfortable under 9 and not feasible under 8 (Or barely).

Foilkite can be a bit trickier vs LEI in 8-10 knots but it is better than annoying ride or looking at others foilkites... from the beach .... a bit provocative but you understand what I mean. Some moderate ratio foilkite are quite as agile a LEI in 8 knots.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Foxi wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:36 pm
[/quote]

your attitude makes me sleep way better again .. :cool2:
[/quote]

I came into foil kites from a pump up environment! I don't know what your weight is but the 12m HL was maybe not a great choice for you. with my 9m I can get going in around 7 knots, and the 9m is fast enough for me. as with any transition there is a learning curve involved and if your not willing to go through that curve, because your impatient, you cannot develop enough relaunch skills in a few session with a foil. your mistake could have been possibly your impatient, and to give advice with that quality maybe is not that cool to give .............. lol..............I have no issues that you love your boxer, great kite, but you try relaunching it sub 9 knots you will have a problem. with the new generation of foil kites you have far more of a chance.......

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:29 pm

I am also thinking of getting a first foil kite. Finally took the plunge a few months back and bought a foil setup after borrowing for probably 6-8 times.
I'm not looking to break any light wind barriers, just maybe make things better than when on my 12m Wave kite.
Had a session a few weeks ago where I was questioning if I could get the 12m in the air. Got it up and had to keep it flying or it would have dropped.
Had power enough to ride on the foil and once riding it was perfect, but stopping meant 'work the kite or it drops'.
Actually dropped the kite a few times but amazingly was able to relaunch.
Not sure what the wind was, super light but steady, no whitecaps.
After reading about the Soul, watching some video reviews I'm thinking that's a kite I want to try.
Seems to me a 10M Soul would probably stay flying much easier than my 12m 3-strut and have a bit better low end as well as more high end.
The 12m could also be an option but range on the foil is only one knot lower and many knots higher.
Would be interested in a 12m vs 10m Soul comparison for the foil.
My most used kite is a 9m with the surfboard (or TT but much much less TT time these days).
There are a number of days (or partial days) like described above which I was not able to ride in the past.
I'll eventually have a chance to demo the Soul but haven't managed to coordinate that yet.
I've also been intrigued by TomW's posts regarding the 9m Hyperlink and his enthusiasm over the smoothness of the foil kite vs LEI's.
Hopefully will get a demo sorted out in the next few weeks.
Tony

Return to “Hydrofoil”