Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My first sessions with the Flysurfer Soul 12, a short video

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

My first sessions with the Flysurfer Soul 12, a short video

Postby haiku » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:10 am

Hi. In this short video you can see the new Flysurfer Soul 12 in action in "so and so" wind conditions. Another video with the same kite coming soon. Until now I really love this kite, is powerful, stable and has great lift and hang time. Two thumbs up :thumb: :thumb: !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh6jPODWxPo

Cheers

Carlo

AdroVempo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Minnesota: Lake Waconia, Medicine Lake, White Bear Lake.
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, Jamaica, Visakhapatnam (Vizag)
Style: Freeride
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: My first sessions with the Flysurfer Soul 12, a short video

Postby AdroVempo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi Carlo,

Is the Flysurfer Soul easy enough to handle for beginner-intermediate ?

Also, I was wondering if the water relaunch that flysurfer is claiming is true. I still can't believe water cannot seep into the kite openings making it un-relaunchable.

Thanks.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:30 pm

I was playing last week with my 15m Soul, my girlfriend dropped it in the water and it was there for around 5 minutes, relaunched without any water inside it. About the handling it is really easy and nice, super easy relaunch, and pretty stable at the zenith. I cannot compare it to other similar sized kites but i am more than satisfied with it. Try to get a demo somewhere, i am sure you will love it.

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:52 am

you can fill a Flysurfer half way up with water and still relaunch it...don't be concerned.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:58 am

The way the new intakes are designed, once the kite is inflated they fill to a point where water can’t get it. The kite can stay sitting on the water for a LONG time without taking any in.

AdroVempo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Minnesota: Lake Waconia, Medicine Lake, White Bear Lake.
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, Jamaica, Visakhapatnam (Vizag)
Style: Freeride
Gear: None

Postby AdroVempo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:10 am

Thanks everyone. 2 more questions:

1. 15mt vs 18 mt?. I weigh 190+ lbs. In-land Lakes here do not have consistent winds. So lightwind suddenly picks up to higher gusts. I usually hear foils are more powerful than their same-size LEI equivalents. I noticed that myself, while snowkiting this winter. A 5m foil kite was enough to pull me rapidly on frozen lake. If I was to get a LEI kite, it would have been 17m size. (please suggest between 15 or 18 mt for Flysurfer Soul).

2. Will either of the above size Souls work with the following bar+lines setup? :
"2017 Cabrinha 1X Fixed Length Fireball TrimLite Control Bar (52cm bar width)". You might ask why I cannot get a separate bar, but I sooo like the Fireball system (it is not Chicken Loop).
The reason I ask about bar compatibility is because of 2 factors:-
a). High Y vs Low V, and
b). 52 cm Bar width for larger kites.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:51 am

Hi. AdroWempo the feeling of this great foil is similar to a classic LEI so an intermediate/beginner rider can handle It without any problem. It is a very powerful kite, I think the 15 in gusty moderate wind conditions is the right choice. For my weight (76) Kilos, the 12 is the size I use mostly from 13 to 25 Knots (airstyle). I cannot suggest you to fly the Soul with a different bar mainly beacuse in case of reverse re-launch the little balls near the floaters are very functional and grabbing them makes all the procedure so damn fast. That being said the Flysurfer airstyle bar (CC or PP) is very functional.

Cheers

Carlo

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:06 am

AdroVempo wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:10 am
Thanks everyone. 2 more questions:

1. 15mt vs 18 mt?. I weigh 190+ lbs. In-land Lakes here do not have consistent winds. So lightwind suddenly picks up to higher gusts. I usually hear foils are more powerful than their same-size LEI equivalents. I noticed that myself, while snowkiting this winter. A 5m foil kite was enough to pull me rapidly on frozen lake. If I was to get a LEI kite, it would have been 17m size. (please suggest between 15 or 18 mt for Flysurfer Soul).

2. Will either of the above size Souls work with the following bar+lines setup? :
"2017 Cabrinha 1X Fixed Length Fireball TrimLite Control Bar (52cm bar width)". You might ask why I cannot get a separate bar, but I sooo like the Fireball system (it is not Chicken Loop).
The reason I ask about bar compatibility is because of 2 factors:-
a). High Y vs Low V, and
b). 52 cm Bar width for larger kites.
That bar is going to be kinda short for those sizes. I have the Soul 15 with the 50cm bar and I feel that the 60 would have been better. With the shorter bar, you really have to crank it to get the kite to turn and I find myself reaching up a lot to pull on a steering line to speed up the turn.

For helping decide which size fits you are you using it for hydrofoiling or twintip? On my 15m, I’m staying upwind in about 10kts of wind on my 134 splitboard. I can hold down wind up to around 25kts. On hydrofoil, I find myself wishing I would have gone with the 12m instead because once I’m up on foil, I always have to depower quite a lot even at 8kts.

haiku
Frequent Poster

Postby haiku » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:29 am

Indeed, if you want a faster kite the longer bar is better, but for airstyle tricks I prefer the 50 cm. and once I've slightly shorten the back lines (5 cm.) the kite is more responsive. I suggest to do that with all the Soul sizes.

Cheers

Carlo

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:10 pm

To be fair, it Looks quite slow being 12m only and on 50cm bar.

I would think 11m Sonic is faster, duno how user friendly it is tho comparing to Soul. The Sonic does jumps really well, due to a skills only.

The re-Lun. in my books, depends on how is put into the water. Not front LE, not TE, but the side crash is the main problem.

As we see on that vid, if the rider does a transition and stuff it up, the kite will crash on a side, and like a harmonica, it will collapse.

Once is collapsed, a split sec is needed to 'bow tie' it. The End.

That's my experience with S1 and R1. Hope someone can tell otherwise for Soul.

Return to “Reviews”