downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My first sessions with the Flysurfer Soul 12, a short video

Postby downunder » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 am
Flysurfer is not Ozone. FS builds their foils much better. Soul has the 12 month warranty so if it were to explode like you seem so terrified will happen, Flysurfer will repair free of cost. Here’s a vid of them testing crashes on a soul pronto. It’s a well built kite...
I know that, not disputing it. Remember, I have both ok? Plus Boost, plus Razor, plus Rad4...

What I'm disputing is a re-lun, and I've seen the vid long time ago.

One-side view is not the best here, and you guys are trying to influence or pimp the product. The vid is clear, on dead downwind wind relaunch is ok. But have a look at 0.51 crash, it is more the side one and the rider is struggling.

That point is crucial, the slack lines are the enemy, and the vid is a controlled crash with rider taking attention specifically to lines tension.

It is controlled, no one crashes like this. And just imagine what a front LE crash does to the kite.

Looking forward for answers, not the one sided please.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:10 pm

AdroVempo wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 pm
I still can't believe water cannot seep into the kite openings making it un-relaunchable.
Flysurfer kites are very water proof!

and

Water seeping into a foil with well designed drainage(flysurfer) is far far from un-relaunchable. You can fill the kite with more water than you could ever possibly believe and if part of it will still fly ,as in stand off the water, then it will relaunch. It is merely a skill to learn.
AdroVempo wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:10 am
1. 15mt vs 18 mt?. I weigh 190+ lbs. In-land Lakes here do not have consistent winds. So lightwind suddenly picks up to higher gusts. I usually hear foils are more powerful than their same-size LEI equivalents. I noticed that myself, while snowkiting this winter. A 5m foil kite was enough to pull me rapidly on frozen lake. If I was to get a LEI kite, it would have been 17m size. (please suggest between 15 or 18 mt for Flysurfer Soul).
21m lol. Depends on quiver, 15+21 or 12+18. And riding style, With hydrofoil 15m or 18m should be big enough, anything else then 21m. Ice is completely different than snow and water. If you want to jump over hard surfaces big kites are much safer, small kites will drop and kill you in a blink. You need to realize with foils, because they fly in much less wind than LEIs you can make use of ones much bigger and more powerful. Below 10knots 21m is much better than 18m. Unless hydrofoil or good surfboard, but then below 5-7knots 21m is still better.
AdroVempo wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:10 am
2. Will either of the above size Souls work with the following bar+lines setup? :
"2017 Cabrinha 1X Fixed Length Fireball TrimLite Control Bar (52cm bar width)". You might ask why I cannot get a separate bar, but I sooo like the Fireball system (it is not Chicken Loop).
The reason I ask about bar compatibility is because of 2 factors:-
a). High Y vs Low V, and
b). 52 cm Bar width for larger kites.
Just about any bar can work with any kite. That said foils are more than a little different than LEIs and they really have specific bar requirements to enjoy them the most. The problems you have are 52cm is too small for a large foil kite, you need 60 to 65cm. Cabrinha plastic depower rope cover does not allow sheeting while turning, foils need this. The trimmer and sheet range setup is not really right for Foil kites. You need thick rear leaders to relaunch and manage the kite. Also not least do you value your time? and want to enjoy your life and understand and enjoy one of the biggest benefits of foil kites? You then need a bar permanently attached to and for each foil you own. Trust me on this one (as Deadpool would say), this is a magic thing of foil kites. Not doing this you will miss one of THEE most best factors of owning and using a foil. I can not describe the shittfest waste of time running and connecting lines is, having them gather twists that perpetuate into tangles. I can launch onto the water kite from bag in 30seconds (I DO NOT LIE!). How the f*** people can spend 10minutes fucking with lines why why! more fucking why!?!

Oh and Low V 100%, as in so you can uninvert your lines while flying the kite LOW V. Yes uninvert while flying.

But bars are expensive? No they are not, some carbon bar and rope, done. Well almost :-) lol.
downunder wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:10 pm
To be fair, it Looks quite slow being 12m only and on 50cm bar.
Who needs a fast turning kite?

Wakestyle? NO

Airstyle? NO

Surfstyle? NO

Megaloops? NO

Gaystyle? maybe

Kookstyle? Definitely

Pretending to ride waves on them, near them, on flat water, in the grass or a bath tub? ding ding ding 100% we have a winner.

oh and revolution kites are awesome, but I ain't riding with one ever!
downunder wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:10 pm
Once is collapsed, a split sec is needed to 'bow tie' it. The End.
No
downunder wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:49 pm
But think of this, if that well sealed what will happen when crashed on a LE? Something must give away tho. Sure, the vent will open, but again how if that well sealed ?
Depends on the size of the kite, bigger are always slower and more tolerant to crashes. The cell walls take the brunt of the force. If they are elastic then they can take abuse, if not then rip. The buttvents are apparently quite effective, special uses of the sock on flysurfers have been used to help them open more easy in crashes to prevent damage. Pansh use Magnetic buttholes that open easy on crash and can reseal, seems to do something.
downunder wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:48 pm
the slack lines are the enemy
Not mine, they are my friend :heartface: :heartface: :heartface: . Slack lines and surfing is like love.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 pm

^
I will have what he's having ;) where can I buy it? :)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:47 pm

downunder wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:48 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 am
Flysurfer is not Ozone. FS builds their foils much better. Soul has the 12 month warranty so if it were to explode like you seem so terrified will happen, Flysurfer will repair free of cost. Here’s a vid of them testing crashes on a soul pronto. It’s a well built kite...
I know that, not disputing it. Remember, I have both ok? Plus Boost, plus Razor, plus Rad4...

What I'm disputing is a re-lun, and I've seen the vid long time ago.

One-side view is not the best here, and you guys are trying to influence or pimp the product. The vid is clear, on dead downwind wind relaunch is ok. But have a look at 0.51 crash, it is more the side one and the rider is struggling.

That point is crucial, the slack lines are the enemy, and the vid is a controlled crash with rider taking attention specifically to lines tension.

It is controlled, no one crashes like this. And just imagine what a front LE crash does to the kite.

Looking forward for answers, not the one sided please.
You're naming off inflatables but what foil kites have you own? I don't think you really understand how to fly a foil. My current launch has tons of wind shadows and it's amazing how my Soul will relaunch. In situations where my Sonic2 I no would be dead on the water, with patience I've gotten the Soul back up in the air in extremely light winds. Anything stronger, I have no doubt that relaunch would be no problem. The Soul does tend to ball up more in super light winds but again, give it a little time to sort out and it will get back in the air.

Slack lines havn't been the enemy in awhile on the foil side. These modern foil drift much nicer and with a little skill, it's never an issue.

Seems to me that you are talking with a big of a grudge and with no real foil experience. I can see some learning issues with Flysurfer's Inflatables since they just recently started building them. On the foil side, they're been building them longer than anyone else, and you can definitely see that experience through this new Soul. Instead of internet warrioring it up, why don't you go out and actually demo one and see for yourself?

For the bar size and the 15m, I'm currently using mine with a 50cm bar since I plan on traveling with 1 bar and the 8m and 15m. Honestly I find myself reaching up to speed the bottom of my loops up and if given the choice again, would have gone with the 60cm infinity. Yes a lot of riding styles out there don't need faster turning, but I've always gone with the larger size bars to help speed it up. I do a lot of loops when I kite and having a little more leverage helps keep the kite from touching the water. I also like how on the Sonics you can stall a wing tip and make the kite kinda spiral without power for quick direction changes. You can do that to a degree on the Soul but you have to grab from a ballstopper. I would recommend the 60cm with the 15m and larger and yes keep the bar attached. I may not beable to go from bag to water in under 30 like foilholio, but it's damn quick and I've setup and launched in the middle of the night for those midnight naked sessions and having the bar attached always is the way to go. I just carry one bar when I travel to save on weight.

=Jason-

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:51 pm

double post
Last edited by Adventure Logs on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:23 pm

How does S1 and R1 sounds? it is Sonic v1 an R1 Ozone which I own and not riding anything else, almost.

Plus years of paragliding experience, so...

What I'm reading is this: the Soul and HL are awesome kites that everyone can fly with no fuss. Wrong.

The fusnote or in small letters is this: skill is needed. Heaps of it.

Just look at how many times skill is mentioned. A skill is what relaunches this kites. A skill is what drifts it, a skill is for 30secs launch ( God, like some of us do not leave bar attached on LEIs), etc...

Remember, here on this forum someone disliked Soul, and? Do we crucify him/her?

Or we listen?

Here, you said it yourself, it's probably heaps easier to backstall Sonic than Soul. I can tell you, Sonic is easier to backstall than R1, plus R1 is a tad deeper in the window.

Backstall is a mother of foil kiting. Or now someone will say not really, and I have no clue.

Let's review or revisit this thread when Soul v2 comes, shall we?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:12 pm

I like a little backstall, sometimes that little explosive pop is useful. I can tell you that the Sonic1 and Soul are MUCH different beasts. Again dude, go demo one and lets see what you say. And yes anyone can fly the Soul from the inflatable side. Where you need these "skills" is when you take the kite out to the extremes which hey guess what, you would also need skills to do the same on inflatables. So get of your horse and go demo cause you really are just talking out of your ass until then. I'm sure the Soul2 will be better, but waiting 2 years for that isn't worth it when the v1 is that good.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:38 am

Dude, I'm not your dude.

You simply don't get it. The relaunch on this video is a controlled crash. If you're crashing in a controlled way, I'll use your own words, maybe it's just you.

1) Please explain how can a well 'sealed' kite survive a number of crashes on the LE with no consequences (check #4).
2) Are you crashing in a controlled way knowing exactly where the kite is after?
3) No backstall? From FS site: "Trust in the high backstall resistancy" - How on Earth you'll self land the Soul? A 'little' backstall for self landing? :bye:
4) Profile. Look how thick that is: https://www.iksurfmag.com/reviews/kites ... -10m-2018/ - And THAT is making it easier to relaunch. The enormous amount of air. It's a balloon. How much time is needed to deflate it? Or to inflate it? Not important hey. But sure there is a compromise somewhere, just wait to find it. And people will find it rather soon (check this http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2399899&p=1019064, adjustment on a brand new kite? really?).

God, also, change the behavior by reducing the kite lines, dunno, to 18 or 20m (and I've seen 15 maybe). Why on Earth would anyone do that for a free riding? So if the tips tucking in, well, shorten the lines...Ton of crap. One can have loads on fun on 35m lines and 5m kite with a HF. LOADS. No need for a balloon. The FS Boost 2 5m is a good example.

Sure, if you have a lot of disposable income, go for it. Mind you, I've paid Sonic 9m Eur380, and R1 11m Eur442 (all in immaculate condition), enough said about the depreciation. :cool2:

Sure, I'll take it for a ride. When I'll get it for above price. Till than, I'll rip my HF like a rocket, improving my skill.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:38 am
Dude, I'm not your dude.

You simply don't get it. The relaunch on this video is a controlled crash. If you're crashing in a controlled way, I'll use your own words, maybe it's just you.

1) Please explain how can a well 'sealed' kite survive a number of crashes on the LE with no consequences (check #4).
The kite is designed to not, and again if something were to happen, Flysurfer has the warranty.
downunder wrote:
2) Are you crashing in a controlled way knowing exactly where the kite is after?
No many times I've crashed completely facing the wrong way, messing up loops, and the such. Each time I've been able to relaunch my kite and this is down to around 6kts behind a wind shadow. I've yet to not beable to relaunch my Soul.
downunder wrote:
3) No backstall? From FS site: "Trust in the high backstall resistancy" - How on Earth you'll self land the Soul? A 'little' backstall for self landing? :bye:
This comment right here shows your lack of real knowledge. Here's a lesson for free...if you can self land your kite just using your bar, sheeting in, unless you are really at the low end of the kite's range, there's something wrong. You backstall land the Soul like every other foil, grabbing up at the steering line balls. The Soul is pretty stable for this compared to the Sonic which sometimes has the trailing edge flip up and relaunch the kite.
downunder wrote:
4) Profile. Look how thick that is: https://www.iksurfmag.com/reviews/kites ... -10m-2018/ - And THAT is making it easier to relaunch. The enormous amount of air. It's a balloon. How much time is needed to deflate it? Or to inflate it? Not important hey. But sure there is a compromise somewhere, just wait to find it. And people will find it rather soon (check this http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2399899&p=1019064, adjustment on a brand new kite? really?).
Yes it's a wide profile, helps make it more stable. I don't race my hydrofoil and I doubt you do as well. I like the stability over the little extra edge you get from the race foils. I've owned both the Sonic1 and Sonic2 as well but the Soul really has grown on me. Deflating is easy on my 15m with the two buttholes and inflation is under 30 seconds. I infact timed and recorded it and put it on youtube. Also it's a negative thing that FS put in the ability to further tune to kite to your preference? I like my wingtips slightly curving in after a jump to help keep it off the water. It only happens in lighter wind when my loops are wider anyhow. The guy in that thread could have many reasons for something like that to happen and again, FS futureproofed the foil so you can tune it as it ages.
downunder wrote:
God, also, change the behavior by reducing the kite lines, dunno, to 18 or 20m (and I've seen 15 maybe). Why on Earth would anyone do that for a free riding? So if the tips tucking in, well, shorten the lines...Ton of crap. One can have loads on fun on 35m lines and 5m kite with a HF. LOADS. No need for a balloon. The FS Boost 2 5m is a good example.
So because people like different setups than you, they're wrong? I forgot I'm talking to the kiteboard god.
downunder wrote:
Sure, if you have a lot of disposable income, go for it. Mind you, I've paid Sonic 9m Eur380, and R1 11m Eur442 (all in immaculate condition), enough said about the depreciation. :cool2:
So you are basing your judgement on buy some cheap secondhand kites? Wow, good for you. I'm sure they fly exactly as much as you paid for them. I highly doubt you know how to do a proper mixer test, especially since that's not possible on the Ozone. Flysurfer's have depreciated more since they switched to a 2 year cycle and race foils even more since they are discarded quickly for the next faster generation(again except for the Ozone since the R2 was kinda a flop). So your reasoning is because you can't afford a new foil, they are all shit??
downunder wrote:
Sure, I'll take it for a ride. When I'll get it for above price. Till than, I'll rip my HF like a rocket, improving my skill.
Demos are free BTW. Are you afraid you'll end up liking the kite? You reasoning is bullshit.

Oh and when I write "Dude", don't worry it's not a friendly things. It's more of wow you are such an ignorant cunt :roll:

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:21 pm

So now you go personal with a " ignorant cunt" wording instead of "dude" as a highly impropriate level of conversation? So you used "dude" in a first place to achieve your domination on a person, did you?

What are you? A FS distributer? Heh, I hope you talk like that with your customers, ha! You just spat on everyone who can afford new kites every 2 years. Nice. Awesome Public presentation.

God, just because something you personally like and promote does not mean there should be no critical thinking and a free speech. That is a free lesson for you.

Return to “Reviews”