Lieuwe boards

Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Shotgun is def not too stiff...looking at the Say No More and Oceana those are too stiff and wont give you a enjoyable ride. Shotgun is what you are looking for :)
Also quite recently got one and love it...had a North Jaime, but this one is much better especially more flex in the tips which gives you just that extra pop/air

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby andylc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Lieuwe Shotgun is the best board everrrrrrrr...

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:14 am

I tested the Shotgun on two separate occasions. First the 132, then the 136. I was very impressed with the 132 the first session, felt very smooth and an easy jumper. I compared it with the Naish Mega 132 2016, which was more harsh and had a lot of spray, and the Naish Monarch 136, which was different but which I preferred then because of the massive amount of grip. Not that the Shotgun was bad in that respect, but the Monarch was just something else. I did however wonder whether I should go for such a stiff carbon board having the knees of a 40something-year old ;).

Second session I had the Shotgun 136 and a North Jaime textreme 136. Strangely, I didn't get along with the Shotgun 136 as much as I had anticipated. Not as smooth as the 132, didn't keep the speed as well and wasn't as good through chop as the previous session. Of course the main difference between sessions will be the state of the meatball on top ;) :lol: However, the Jaime felt way better, very good through chop, great edging, and very smooth. Excellent grip, too.

So after heavy negotiations with the shop I ended up with the Jaime. I've been out on it a couple of times now and I really enjoy it.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:48 am

BudhaNl wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:14 am
I tested the Shotgun on two separate occasions. First the 132, then the 136. I was very impressed with the 132 the first session, felt very smooth and an easy jumper. I compared it with the Naish Mega 132 2016, which was more harsh and had a lot of spray, and the Naish Monarch 136, which was different but which I preferred then because of the massive amount of grip. Not that the Shotgun was bad in that respect, but the Monarch was just something else. I did however wonder whether I should go for such a stiff carbon board having the knees of a 40something-year old ;).

Second session I had the Shotgun 136 and a North Jaime textreme 136. Strangely, I didn't get along with the Shotgun 136 as much as I had anticipated. Not as smooth as the 132, didn't keep the speed as well and wasn't as good through chop as the previous session. Of course the main difference between sessions will be the state of the meatball on top ;) :lol: However, the Jaime felt way better, very good through chop, great edging, and very smooth. Excellent grip, too.

So after heavy negotiations with the shop I ended up with the Jaime. I've been out on it a couple of times now and I really enjoy it.
What weight is "the meatball on top" and what were the wind conditions for the two sessions?

When it gets windy (for me F6+/22+ knots) I'd rather be on a smaller board of course but most frequent use for me (most of us'?) is in lighter winds.

I find that straps make a huge difference to how a board feels and works. For example, I only use Entity straps because I find they work best for me and I'd guess the Jaime had the same straps. Not saying that the difference you found is down to the different straps, just that it's an frequently ignored factor.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Meatball is about 83kg. First session I was on my Pivot 9m in 24 knots, second on my Ultra 12m in about 20 knots. My previous board, a 2014 F-One Trax Carbon, has been out in anything between 14 and 42 knots and worked well in those. I had been toying with the idea to get a 'high wind' 132 for 20 knots and up and a bigger board, say a Shinn King G, for low wind conditions, to increase the low end as well. Buying the Jaime Textreme ended that idea :lol:

Weird side-observation: I am much less tired the day after a session with these newer boards than I used to be on the Trax.

I agree that straps are important and often overlooked/one takes those that the board brand offers. The Shotgun 132 had the Lieuwe straps, which I didn't like at all. All others featured Naish Apex 2017 & 2018 straps&pads. I really like the 2017 Apex straps so I bought the very pair that was on the demo-Jaime, to the chagrin of its owner (brother of the shop owner) :lol:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Interesting, thanks. I'm 1.80m/ 81-82 kg. I also like Naish Apex straps with bare feet, but with winter boots (Atan Mistral) I just can not get my feet comfortable in them - even on the largest setting once they're jammed in they stay there so I can't get the board off my feet quick enough when needed. I must admit, I'd be using a 10m or possibly an 8m in 20 knots but then with my old damaged knees I'm not jumping.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Pads and straps make a huge difference, and the nice thing about Lieuwe boards is you can customise the screw placings. So I have a Shotgun with NTT pads and straps which is the perfect combo for me. I went from a Jaime Pro to a Shotgun and although both are great boards I prefer the overall ride of the Shotgun.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:11 pm

andylc wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:53 pm
Pads and straps make a huge difference, and the nice thing about Lieuwe boards is you can customise the screw placings. So I have a Shotgun with NTT pads and straps which is the perfect combo for me. I went from a Jaime Pro to a Shotgun and although both are great boards I prefer the overall ride of the Shotgun.
That made me smile because by coincidence my Shotgun with screw placings for my NTT straps was shipped today! :thumb:

ARK
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby ARK » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:22 am

andylc wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:16 pm
Anyone used one? I’m feeling quite tempted although I love my Jaime...I’m a sucker for a nice wood finish...
Check out my podcast with the CEO

http://kitesurf365.libsyn.com/lieuwe-ki ... episode-15

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:54 pm

Same here...Shotgun with NTT works great! Btw guys from Lieuwe are great...and when you get the chance and you are in Holland you are always welcomed at their production location to pick up your board yourself!

Return to “Kitesurfing”