Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What gears should a kitesurfer buy first?

Forum for kitesurfers
Wind Over Water
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Been thanked: 0

What gears should a kitesurfer buy first?

Postby Wind Over Water » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:37 am

I’m getting more and more addicted to kitesurfing and I’ll like to start buying my own gear. In what order should someone fairly new to kitesurfing purchase? I travel internationally fairly often, and I’ll look to kitesurf wherever I am able to do so. Given I’ll likely kitesurf in very different wind and weather conditions, I prefer to rent the kites and wetsuits locally. Is there a list of common items a kitesurfer should purchase? I was thinking something in the order of:

1. Life / impact vest
2. Harness
3. Helmet
4. Bar
5. Board

Would you more experienced kitesurfers recommend otherwise? And what waist harness would be suitable for a fairly new kitesurfer? I’m flexible on price, but would like something of quality and safety. Thanks!

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: What gears should a kitesurfer buy first?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:47 am

1. Wetsuit/helmet
2. Harness
3. Bar/3a. kite
4. Board

The safety stuff you can pick and choose. I don't think an impact vest is really a necessity, certainly a helmet is much more worth it.

Places are more willing to demo boards than they are kites, especially here in the bay area since you're in SF/Sac. No real reason to get a bar without a kite...but if you are stretching $ then bar first since at least you can be more familiar with the safety and trim operations.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby or6 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:56 am

If you want to rent kites, don't bother buying a bar.

Personally, I would rather rent a board and bring my kites. Kite rentals are becoming more widespread, if that's the word, but are still hard to find. Plus, with some experience you'll find it annoying to have to adjust to a different kite every time (I would).

I'd buy two kites: a seven and a nine, and rent larger kites when needed and possible. Or seven and ten, eight and ten, eight/eleven.... really depends on your weight. You could buy a foil kite, which with time and experience will give you a massive windrange....you could do most of your kiting with one kite, plus they're incredibly easy to pack.

Good question, hard call.

Maybe the best answer would be to ask yourself this question again, when you're a better kiteboarder.

As far as a good harness goes: there are plenty good brands out there. Best is to go and try some on. Good fit is everything.

Welcome to your new life :-)

Or6

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:13 am

one kite with his bar.the size you think will use most.
will be your ,get used to it ...power....speed.....turning.....etc.
it gives you fun or danger so have to know well how to manage and when.
rent other stuff

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:19 pm

So, traveling a lot, renting kites, not a newbie...?

A list for myself would be
1. Mystic Warrior harness
2. Half-finger gloves
3. Short John wetsuit
4. Long sleeve 2mm shortie
5. Really flexible 4/3mm full wetsuit
6. NP or Dakine impact vest
7. Xcel reef shoes or Swiss socks
8. O’Neill ninja split toe 3mm booties
9. JetScream micro whistle

Above are kind of personal items I wouldn’t want to ride used. A harness and life vest are less personal but I have strong model preference.

For the gear it’d suck not to be able to find adequate gear at rental. I really value my
1. Carbon foil setup
2. Cabrinha 1x Trimlite bar
3. Carbon TT, XL door
4. Rallys and Turbines

You get used to great setup but rental would do ....

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Harness & wetsuit
Get a good fitting harness for sure, wetsuit fit is not as important unless you swim a lot but still a good idea
Kite and board you can rent and are more trouble to travel with. Wait on the bat to go with the two kites you end up with. Meantime try lots of kites and boards to see what you really like.

Return to “Kitesurfing”