Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Re: Who here is Kite Foiling?

Postby K-Roy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:32 am

Pemba wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:23 am
Still trying/starting. I bought a clearwater foil kit and stuck it on an old 2,1 m (yes old) directional kiteboard. I think there's something wrong with my setup but I'm sure there's also still lots wrong with me so I continue to struggle, about once a month or so.
Hi,
can you take a photo and show us your setup...!?

cheers

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pemba » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:50 am

K-Roy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:32 am
Pemba wrote:
Still trying/starting. I bought a clearwater foil kit and stuck it on an old 2,1 m (yes old) directional kiteboard. I think there's something wrong with my setup but I'm sure there's also still lots wrong with me so I continue to struggle, about once a month or so.
Hi,

cheers
Sure I can and will (give me a week or so). Probably an example of how not to do it..

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Pemba wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:50 am
K-Roy wrote:
Pemba wrote:
Hi,

cheers
Sure I can and will (give me a week or so). Probably an example of how not to do it..

Are you alone an not one single other kitefoiler in your area?

As if, let him/her try your foil, and you will know if it dont work correctly :thumb:

There is a good chance it does though...

As if you are only out once in a month, you might not be able to learn really :roll:

It is not something you just "try" to see how it works, you have to be determined and not ride anything else for a period.

Once settled in muscle memory, you can ride other boards too, or NOT ride for a long time and jump back on easily - but for starters I think once a month is really really hard if you want to learn :wink:

8) Peter

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pemba » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 am

I'm the only one here. A friend of mine had one (Sroka) about a year ago, we both started out on that one and after 2, 3 short sessions we were both able to do 10, 20 m runs on the foil. Then he left. He's Ok now and he's been back a few times and after initially struggeling for 20 minutes or so on mine he is able to ride Ok but he says it is a lot more difficult than his (forgot about the details, will ask him next time). While I was able to do these 20m run on his, I'm still (after an additional 5 - 10 sessions) not able to do the same on mine. The moment it comes out of the water (which is difficult to happen), it just seems to go on doing that. Due to the huge "fin", I've been able to go back to where I started from since the first time so I don't lose too much time and I'm not really bothered about it. I know I need to use it more than I do, just can't make myself to that at the cost of the TT, I only get to kite once a week IF there is enough wind. My loss.. I need to sort out how to put pictures on here, once I do that I'll put them. Thanks for your ideas.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pemba » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Pemba wrote:
Hi,

cheers
I've given it a try but not sure how to put photographs on here, they don't copy. So links, hope it works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5b1j02r42i8i ... 3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uze5jcztjk31o ... 4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08vyjklwlex7w ... 4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0sops9ubcy55 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/haz40cvvdnsmz ... 6.jpg?dl=0

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Good to see these pics Bart.

I think it works okay, it is just a very small wing, quite high aspect (and not a perfect "profile" of course).

And such a wing is really really difficult to learn hydrofoiling on - this is why most are recommended buying a beginner foil first, even if they know they are gonna race, as you will learn so much faster :thumb:

You could ride your friends hydrofoil right away you wrote?

If you can ride every weekend it is just dandy - but once a month on such a difficult wing will lead you nowhere...

You should move the mast more forward than in the first pictures I rhink - as if so far back, it will be almost impossible to push the foil "up" foiling.
And even if you succeed - it will be way too difficult to keep it in control there when you need so much rear foot pressure.

If you really want to learn on this difficult one, you should move the mast/wing further forward, and then just keep at it.

You need more speed with yours than others, and you must know it requires some extremely fine muscle memory that your head can not control - thus time and time and time, and because the wing is so small and narrow, it requires a lot more time than on other foils.

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:13 pm

I was at an informal race the other day a shop up a bit up the west coast of Sweden organised. 3 of us showed up and I came last. But there were 6 or so other kiters watching and they were really interested once they saw us. Regular folks were super curious too.
It's going to pick up soon here. 2nd wave of foilers.
Ages are spread, one guy 27, one 32, and me 58. The crowd gave me a good applause when they heard my age.. :)

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pemba » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:36 am

Hey Peter. Thanks for your thoughts, your contributions here are always very positive and constructive. When I posted the first photograph, I also thought that I should put the mast in the front position from now on. I never noticed any difference really but I can see now that the front position makes a lot more sense and I'll keep it there. Yes, I should just give it a litte time every weekend - perfectly possible and I'm determinded to do that now. No, I was not able to ride my friends hydrofoil right away but I was always able to get back to where I started out. Then after the second or third session I was able to start getting out of the water for about 10m or so at a time before crashing.
One issue that I had with the clearwater hydrofoil (USD 135 kit that you build/assemble at home) that might be of interest to others is that I found it difficult to control the angles. Mostly between mast and board and between front and back wing and fuselage. I should actually write that to the maker because it appears easy enough to solve. Though he might have done that by now..
These users thanked the author Pemba for the post:
Anthonyshopguy (Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

peter-rider
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride, kitefoil
Gear: Zeeko
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby peter-rider » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:24 am

Pemba wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 am
I'm the only one here. A friend of mine had one (Sroka) about a year ago, we both started out on that one and after 2, 3 short sessions we were both able to do 10, 20 m runs on the foil. Then he left. He's Ok now and he's been back a few times and after initially struggeling for 20 minutes or so on mine he is able to ride Ok but he says it is a lot more difficult than his (forgot about the details, will ask him next time). While I was able to do these 20m run on his, I'm still (after an additional 5 - 10 sessions) not able to do the same on mine. The moment it comes out of the water (which is difficult to happen), it just seems to go on doing that. Due to the huge "fin", I've been able to go back to where I started from since the first time so I don't lose too much time and I'm not really bothered about it. I know I need to use it more than I do, just can't make myself to that at the cost of the TT, I only get to kite once a week IF there is enough wind. My loss.. I need to sort out how to put pictures on here, once I do that I'll put them. Thanks for your ideas.

Did you make your own foil out of wood? Years ago I've been building on on my own and it just never works, I thought foil wasn't for me but trying those from brands - got a Sroka as well and I was able to fly after 3 sessions and felt like super easy; today you got foils not so expensive in aluminium and it still feels great. Good luck anyway, let us know how it goes

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:45 am

Pemba wrote he got the Clearwater foil kit :

https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/collect ... ofoil-kits

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”