Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Fly surfer soul wind range

Postby grtlakes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:04 pm

I am contemplating getting a soul for foiling and some TT use. I am curious about useful wind range. Can I get some user info ie. Weight of kiter, type of board and size of kite used in different winds.
Appreciate it thanks.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fly surfer soul wind range

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:58 pm

I wheight 90 kg full equip and I can get going in 6-7 knots with my ketos foil (It's not particularly good for extreme lightwind, cause it has nearly zero buoyancy, and using the Shinn Ronson 138x42 it's still usable till 22-25 knots with ultra lofty jumps.

I forgot to say I have the 15m.

And the most amazing thing is that you can ride everything between. I used it in 10-20 knots very up and down gusty wind and is when I realised this kite is a revolution in foil kites cause with any other foil kites that conditions are a nightmare while the Soul is a joy.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 am

I'm 185lbs, ride a Flysplit M twintip 134x41 on my 15 Soul I can ride from 8kts to 25kts. On my 8m, I can ride the same twintip in about 12-13 kts and havn't hit the top limit yet. These kites have a huge range.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Similar, skinny git 144 pounds, 133X40 TT 12m Soul gives me a range of 7-20 knots but suspect could hold it down in a bit more. Can be worked like an LEI in lower winds, loop transitions etc really easy, lovely kite to ride. Tempted to get a smaller one for the bigger winds...

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:25 pm

Yea it's a great kite. It produces more power than you would expect which means you most likely can go with a smaller size but at it's top end, it's so stable and the jump/hangtime is fantastic that you are glad you have the larger size. I'm able to do powered kiteloops on 21m lines with my 8m. The surge you get is addicting.

=Jason-

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby madmax7 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Probably not an ideal candidate to contribute - since a newbie foil kite flyer, and more looking for info BUT

Sunday I was riding my TT on a 14M Naish Pivot - I am 185 lbs. the range was about 13 to 20 mph, and as usual at my spot after about an hour wind backed off to about 12 mph to 18, so not much fun in the lower teens and had to "seek" the 18 gust.

Decided to take a break and try out the Soul 15M - of course wind picked up a bit gusting to about 21 mph - so what I learned is that on the lower range I was powered and if I knew what I was doing with the kite I probably could have had a bit more fun, where in with the 14 fun factor is greatly diminished.

As I encountered the upper range - I was flying - and had to depower kite to hold edge...

So, this kite for me is in the hopes that I can have fun in the 9 to 16 mph, DO not know if that's realistic ... and not sure I want an 18

If you have any input before I get it, will appreciate, Thanks - Max

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skywalker7 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:29 am

Hi,
I am 95 kg. I can ride the Soul 12 M from 8-9 knots on a Razor (freerace board) and from 12-13 knots on a twintip 138x42. I can ride easily the 12 untill 25-28 knots and it really has an incredible wind range with huge stability. Once I rode the 15 m Soul accidentaly (the wind speed went up in spite of the forecast) in 22-28 knots so I guess the the 12M could go even further but it is really no point to fly them so overpowered.

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Thank you for the replies very helpful. I’m about 90kg and was considering the 12m over the 15m. I currently own a 17m OR flite and really dislike using such a large kite.
I am interested in low end but not to the extent of absolute lowest in order to avoid long swims in large cold lakes.
It sounds like the 12m May fit the bill.

indysurfer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: hefty
Local Beach: Lake Travis
Style: dork
Gear: TT, Surf,Foil, Wingfoil

Postby indysurfer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:50 pm

I am not affiliated with any brand or shop but am a recent Flysurfer "convert," at least with their Speed 5 (12m) and Soul 15m. At 110k and longtime "perpetual" intermediate kiter, I really like the Soul 15, especially over my (largest in quiver) 14m tube kites in light air. Comparing the Soul 15 to an LEI 14 is not really fair but I was determined not to fly anything larger than that. If there is not enough wind to twintip, it is great on my Sector 60. In less wind it is still quite manageable on my Slingshot Hoverglide. I am not good enough yet to get the most out of its low end but I can get going with minimal whitecaps on the foil. Some advise against learning to foilboard while learning to foil-kite (especially in light winds), but the Soul and my Speed are so much easier to keep in the air than the (3 strut) tube 14m, that I get a lot more time on the water. They, especially the Soul, are so much easier to re-launch too, and you often have time to prevent dipping into the drink in the first place. I have had two light sessions with the Soul where I kept the kite completely dry! This has never happened to me before. I find ways to drop it though (pushing the low end), and am amazed how they just unfold or roll-over and take off after many long minutes on the water. They do reward patience and if I don't fiddle with the lines to much, they just end up drifting into an easy launch position, even in deep water.
Oh, the high end is incredible too, with loads of power for jumps and plenty of "depower' if needed. The Soul 15 steers fine for its size even when sheeted out. It and corrects overflying (a big fear of mine with other kites) pretty much automatically! I have spaced out at the zenith a couple times now and it went way past overhead but just drifted back into place like it was on autopilot!I was torn between the 12 and 15 but am very happy with the 15. Started saving up for a 12 already which will really knock my 14 tubes out of the rotation.

indysurfer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: hefty
Local Beach: Lake Travis
Style: dork
Gear: TT, Surf,Foil, Wingfoil

Postby indysurfer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Regarding 12 vs 15m. If you like riding bigger twintips, directionals and/or foils, the 12 might be the way to go. If you are looking to get the max time on a twintip, I would suggest the 15. You will not be disappointed either way, they will both work amazingly well in their huge range! Can't wait to get the 12.

Return to “Foil Kites”