Forum for kitesurfers
sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

ION B2 2018 shorts sizing help!

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:23 am

Hi - anyone had any experience with these?
Ideally - I need an ION B2 shorts seat harness which would fit two of us :
my son who is UK 34 inches (86 cm) in waist
and myself (I am 37 inches/94 cm) waist.

The XL size is supposed to cover 34-37 inches (86-94 cm) range as specified here (scroll down a bit):
https://www.ion-products.com/sizechart-water/

But the 2017 version was reported as not very good with sizing - i.e. someone reported that XL would not even fit an L person as spreader bar was too long and you were running of adjustment trying to tighten it:
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2394030

Basically -
1)I am looking for a confirmation - may be someone has 2018 XL version and is size 34 (86cm waist) or 36 (91cm) and can comment on amount of adjustment there is and general fit/size?
2)what size of spreader bar ION B2 XL has - 10 inch or 12 inch?
Thanks!

PS.One problem is my son is away for a few months so I am meeting him on holiday and trying to make sure harness would fit :-)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: ION B2 2018 shorts sizing help!

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:08 pm

Just a thought - whatever size harness you choose also buy different size bars i.e. if the smaller harness also buy a larger bar, and if the larger harness also buy a smaller bar.

joedy
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby joedy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:49 pm

Sergi,

I bought a new 2017 model Ion B2 in XL size. I’m a 36 inch waist and it fits me when adjusted down. For a 34 inch waist, I suspect the the straps would run out before the harness is sufficiently tightened.

On the bright side, the quality and build of the Ion is much better than the Dakine one that I outgrew. I especially like how the leg straps also serve to hold down the bar. The Ion fabric is thicker as well.

The Ion harnesses come with the bars and pads. They are looped on one side and hooked on the other. It allows for easy bar opening and for putting the harness on easily, but I’m not sure if they’re easily swapped out with other brands. For me, the bar could be a little smaller, but will still work. For a smaller waist, though, the bar that came with my XL size will likely prevent the straps from clinching down all the way down. Unseen in the photos are welded loops on the bottom of the Ion B2 bars that hold the leg straps into place. I don’t know if other bar brands offer that feature.

For sharing between you and your son, it would be worth getting two bars and pads. Just keep in mind that the straps on the left side will need to be rethreaded for every change. The right side just hooks into place and won’t need the straps rethreaded.

-joedy

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:49 am

Hi Sergei, it was me in the thread you linked.

I actually ended up discussing this with ION themselves. They were most helpful and actually sent me the smaller harness bar.

As a tip for you. Keep on top of cleaning the metal cinch straps. They get a build up of salt or something like and eventually start to slip. Just cleaned mine and it no longer slips.

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 pm

fat blokes can fly wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:49 am
Hi Sergei, it was me in the thread you linked.
I actually ended up discussing this with ION themselves. They were most helpful and actually sent me the smaller harness bar.
As a tip for you. Keep on top of cleaning the metal cinch straps. They get a build up of salt or something like and eventually start to slip. Just cleaned mine and it no longer slips.
Thanks "fat blokes can fly" - for original post and this reply!
It would really helped me if you could also you tell me/us:
1) What size you are normally (trousers/cm)
2) what size ION B2 you ended with - XL or L?
3)what size bar you are using now - 10 inch?

Anyone knows where I can swap ION B2 bar for smaller one - if I keep XL? Guess need to email - phone ION?
They do not carry them in the shop here (kingsofwatersports UK) :-(
UPDATE:
I am size 37 (trousers 38 but usually losing them without a belt - also it is mostly belly which is 38). Bought and received XL (it says XL/54 on the label). Just tried them on.

Shorts felt OK without bar in the waist (i.e. when I close them along the velcro zipper they are neither tight nor fall down).
On the other hand shorts not even touching my butt at the bottom much - is it by design?

Tightening the bar almost running out of adjustment though (may be 1/2 inch - 1cm left on each side).
Once bar is tight: shorts feel really wide at the back near the bottom - they do not even touch my butt as I say.
Confused like hell :-(
I actually talked to someone in the shop I bought from and he said he is 36' and went for L after using XL for a while. He did say 36 is probably max for L though in his opinion so might be too small for me.
I guess will just have to order L and see. May end up without harness though...
Sergei

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:34 pm

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:49 am
Sorry fat blokes - cleaning metal cinch straps - do you mean cleaning the actual straps or the strap adjustment mashinery/clip?
Did you just cleaned straps by washing in fresh water to dissolve salt - or needed something like a knife?

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:13 pm

I'm a 36/38 And using the small bar.

Clean the metal with a kitchen cleaner that removes lime/salt build up. You can also use dilute vinegar I hear, just ensure to wash.
Last edited by fat blokes can fly on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:01 pm

I am 38 waist and the xl size only fits properly with a smaller bar, the long one is silly long and too straight, not curved enough.
I now use the Ion waist harness bar that has the sliding rope, best bit of kit I have ever had off Ion.
I have kept all the Ion B2 shorts harness that I bought over years, 5 of them.
The straps were the weak point along with the strap clasps, which were at one time all aluminum, these melted away within 2 years, and the straps were poor, and frayed easily, they changed to plastic clasps and thinner stiffer webbing, this slipped within weeks of use, and I had to tie knots in the webbing to prevent the whole harness pulling apart.
in the last few years the harness clasps and straps have been spot on, mixed metal and plastic clasps and webbing that neither slips or frays.
the arse end wears through which is easily fixed by sewing in some old neoprene,and once you fix the sizing problems, they are great.
the small bar lasts a lifetime, all my old harness bars are hung up in my garage, they all still look nearly new.
The bar from my first B2 harness (size L) is shorter than the XL spreader bar,and fits me fine when added to the XL harness.

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks again "fat blokes can fly"
It would really helped me if you could also you tell us:
1) What size you are normally (trousers inches/cm)
2) what size ION B2 harness you ended with - XL or L?
3)what size ION bar you are using now . my bar from xl ion b2 measures 35cm/13.5 inches :-(

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:38 pm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:13 pm
I'm a 36/38 And using the small bar.

Clean the metal with a kitchen cleaner that removes lime/salt build up. You can also use dilute vinegar I hear, just ensure to wash.
36/38
XL
Small

Return to “Kitesurfing”