Forum for kitesurfers
espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Launching a kite when no one is around

Postby espana23 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:51 am

Hi,

I've read and seen many videos describing the dangers of launching a kite on your own when no one is around. One method that I didn't see mentioned (and I am guessing there is a good reason for it but can't think of it) is to setup the kite and lines on the beach (have the kite facing down as usual) and connect only the safety ring to your leash (chicken loop not connected to your harness). You can then go pick the kite up (face up so it's easier to handle while walking) and walk to the sea being careful with the lines not to get caught on anything. Once you get in the sea, making sure you go deep enough so when the kite is downwind from you it will sit in the sea and not touch the beach, you let the kite free lying in the sea (since only the flag line is connected it will not have any power), and once the kite moves all the way downwind from you then proceed to launch the kite in the same way that you would if you have used your quick release in a normal session (i.e. connect the chicken loop and launch in the sea).

Two potential issues I see are (1) if you make a mistake when connecting the lines to the kite and don't realise before the actual launch then you would have a problem and (2) when walking to the sea things can easily get caught up in your lines.

Would this method work?

Thanks.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Re: Launching a kite when no one is around

Postby Beardytello » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 am

Self launching is easy peasy once you've got the basics dialled (Caveat: not in insane winds, and on a quiet beach where there's plenty of space for mistakes.)

I've done over 100 launches using this method,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5XvVmf1pas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5XvVmf1pas

I actually prefer this launch to an assisted launch as long as there's no beachgoers around to worry about.

2 additional things, double check your lines are right before you start, be familiar with your eject, I've had to bail on 3 launches out of that 100, kite shot up unexpectedly, bailed out before any pull.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:06 pm

It’s not worth it to drag your lines through sand and debris just to do a pure water launch. If you’ve got no space or anchor for a simple self launch then you should be asking yourself why you’ve chosen to kite in that spot.

The clip above is a perfect example of what to do with good side-on wind on a narrow beach using the advanced method. Leave the kite on the beach and walk out into the water. You do have to keep an eye out for lines catching debris but it’s far less problematic than dragging them along behind you while you carry the kite into the water. The only time I’ve seen people doing what you’re asking about is at spots where they probably shouldn’t be kiting in the first place considering the location and conditions they’ve chosen on that day.

Beardytello is right, self-launch is super easy once you’ve got the routine down.

MartinO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: South Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Grönhögen, Sweden
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot, Blade Trigger, Flysurfer Peak4 kites
RRD and Liquid Force boards
Slingshot Hydrofoil
Has thanked: 0

Postby MartinO » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:48 pm

I am pretty much the only kiter around here, so I always launch alone. I never had any problems. The very few times I had some minor incidents it has always been when I got help from someone that I THOUGHT knew how to do so I didn´t explain clear enough. As long as it isn´t a really tricky spot, I find it safer to launch and land alone. Make sure you have atleast one good anchor point before you go out, and you are fine. If you know exactly how to do, I add.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Self launching is easy. Why would you use someone to help you launch? I never do.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:57 pm

espana23 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:51 am
Hi,

I've read and seen many videos describing the dangers of launching a kite on your own when no one is around. One method that I didn't see mentioned (and I am guessing there is a good reason for it but can't think of it) is to setup the kite and lines on the beach (have the kite facing down as usual) and connect only the safety ring to your leash (chicken loop not connected to your harness). You can then go pick the kite up (face up so it's easier to handle while walking) and walk to the sea being careful with the lines not to get caught on anything. Once you get in the sea, making sure you go deep enough so when the kite is downwind from you it will sit in the sea and not touch the beach, you let the kite free lying in the sea (since only the flag line is connected it will not have any power), and once the kite moves all the way downwind from you then proceed to launch the kite in the same way that you would if you have used your quick release in a normal session (i.e. connect the chicken loop and launch in the sea).

Two potential issues I see are (1) if you make a mistake when connecting the lines to the kite and don't realise before the actual launch then you would have a problem and (2) when walking to the sea things can easily get caught up in your lines.

Would this method work?

Thanks.
This is called drift launching. How ever you choose to do it is a personal thing. Just remember, once you let go of the kite you are at the mercy of what ever happens next. So be ready to manage any unforeseen unplanned happenings.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:59 pm

foilholio wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Self launching is easy. Why would you use someone to help you launch? I never do.
Foilholio, of course your comment makes sense for you. Most people self-launch foil kites. But it's usually safer to have an experienced assistant help with launching an LEI. If an assistant isn't available, then self-launching an LEI is easy enough. But it is not as safe as self-launching a foil. :thumb:

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Tethered launch for me. You can make sure the lines and bridle are not tangled or crossed, no debris in them and that the kite is stable on the water before running back to the bar to hook in (leash safety first).

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:41 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:44 pm
Tethered launch for me. You can make sure the lines and bridle are not tangled or crossed, no debris in them and that the kite is stable on the water before running back to the bar to hook in (leash safety first).

Yeah me too. Those nice wide open sandy beaches in the Caribbean are a little easier to work with than ours. Our beaches are always littered with logs, stumps, sticks, weeds, rocks, or sharp shit all over. Self launch is a no go unless you want to damage your kite/lines/self.
DSC_1986.JPG
Drift launching doesn't work there either as it's onshore/side on with waves.

A good sand spike with a carabiner works really. Also for self landing, no worries.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:57 pm
espana23 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:51 am
Hi,

Would this method work?

Thanks.
This is called drift launching. How ever you choose to do it is a personal thing. Just remember, once you let go of the kite you are at the mercy of what ever happens next. So be ready to manage any unforeseen unplanned happenings.
And it's what we do all the time at our local lake launch site where there is no beach. But we engage the chicken loop before walking out and releasing the kite to drift, rather than let the kite go onto the leash, because if you do the latter your bar will take off up the lines and you have to recover it. And then if something is wrong you can release to the leash and go back in and try again. It's not unusual to try several times as we have sticks and weeds and all sorts of crap to avoid on the edge of our lake as we trail the lines behind us walking out. If anyone else is around we ask them to watch our lines as we walk out to avoid catching debris.

Return to “Kitesurfing”