What makes a jump drop fast?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

What makes a jump drop fast?

Postby Jukka » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:07 pm

When things go right, my kite brings me down nice and smooth from my less than 5 m jumps.
Then again sometimes I'm caught going down way too fast for my liking. Not like rock, but too fast, ending in hard landing.

One thought so far is this might be happening when I'm well powered, ride very slow and still get good line tension from edging hard upwind.
This way I can drive the kite far front in the wind window. Combined with low board speed I still go up OK but have the jump almost vertical direction only.

But I don't know if this is the reason and if it is, why? Or something completely different...
...low board speed jumping needing sooner or more aggressive kite re-direct?
...or is it the kite stalling more easily in this situation? I tend to keep bar sheeted in during air time.

What would be the typical things to avoid / correct for fast falling jumps from happening?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: What makes a jump drop fast?

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:51 pm

When you get good height with your jump, you'll want to make sure to bring the kite back to 12 o'clock by the time you reach your peak. Then keep it at 12 until just before you land, at which point you'll re-direct hard in the direction of travel. If you keep the kite behind you too long, re-direct too soon, or fail to maintain the 12 o'clock kite position while you float back to earth, you'll likely come down too hard.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:57 am

Some kites don't glide well and need more aggressive redirects or loops for a soft landing.

If you stall the kite, you'll drop. Small foil kites, I'm looking at you.

If you sheet out too much, you'll drop, and if you don't sheet in before you hit you'll hit harder.

There's nothing wrong with falling fast (can be fun) and you can still save the landing . . . just fly the kite.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:53 am

Lack of lift

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:31 am

When you are airborne you are pulling your kite with your mass and inertia ie trajectory of riders mass oon fligth path. Very similar to deadman's turn (360 loop) and how it is achieved. It means you can pull your kite past zenith which causes you to drop faster in relatively manner to surface. Airfoil wing loading is the same but apparent AoA to ground is less.

If you analyze jump videos with floaty high jumps you can see that kite never gets past zenith. You'll see that kite stays in high AoA downwind from the jumper.

From this you can think what you need to do.
- time kite input better
- steer kite better
- have slower draggier kite

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:19 pm

foilholio wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:53 am
Lack of lift
I'm with stupid! :thumb:

Thing is - most modern freeride-esque kites nowadays will boost pretty well in their lower-end range without any float to it, so it takes you up really nicely - but then you just fall like a rock. The fact that the industry has been pushing bigger boards lately - doesn't really help the issue either. 139-142cm board for a 200lbs rider is the "normal" range nowadays, though when I was learning - 135 was like "that's one huge board dude!".

So to come back to the original question - get more power into the kite, just because it can get you going - doesn't mean it will have enough lift.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Oversheeting can kill float.

Sheet in like crazy to boost, but let it out a touch to avoid stall while your up there.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:58 pm

&/or keep the kite moving. More motion means more lift also.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:22 am

Jukka

If you want the buttersoft landing - take your kite over to 10oclock, and send it very hard forwards before landing... get the timing right so you'll glide another 5m just above the water. Sweet move :)
Last edited by ShaveTheWhales on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Riding in gusty, high wind conditions with a small kite can be a challenge. You may jump and midair the wind drops enough so that you have a hard landing. A small kite is way more sensitive to wind fluctuations than a larger kite, especially for larger riders.

Return to “Kitesurfing”