hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Oceanus kite reels: i still see them

Postby hongchew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:09 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 pm
ocANUS attack leash, I heard a girl ripped her face in half using one in NZ.. at point shite. from forehead to chin a few years back.
And she sued and got compensated with ungodly rewards, yes?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 am

hongchew wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:06 am
ronnie wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:25 am
hongchew wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:03 am

Huh?
If you have a leash, and the kite takes you on a trajectory off the water, through the air and land back on the water - while you are travelling on that trajectory with the leash taut, the leash will act as an aiming device, to make the board follow a similar trajectory to your body. When you stop, the board will follow the trajectory it was on.
If the leash loaded up before the board released from the water, there will be elasticity in the kite lines, your body and the leash, which will produce an overall catapult effect.

Good imagination. So the Oceanus maker must be bankrupt now because of all the injuries related lawsuits, right? Really.
Its physics.

It doesn't mean it always results in an impact of board and rider. The 2 trajectories are going to be different - how much different depends on many factors. The longer the leash, the more likely the board would not reach the rider.
I'm surprised Oceanus do not make a longer leash option, where a stiff floating line would be taut between the rider and board but maybe up to 10 metres long, and the reel packs the line away as you pull the board back to you.
Low power surface riding would reduce the chances of an impact.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:22 am

in light of the possibility that something could get court in it, I take everything of for kiteing. (inc. necklace and wedding ring)
maybe the reels should be attached to the harness with a quick release similar to the safety leash QR.

cheers

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:29 am

ronnie wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 am
hongchew wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:06 am
ronnie wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:25 am

If you have a leash, and the kite takes you on a trajectory off the water, through the air and land back on the water - while you are travelling on that trajectory with the leash taut, the leash will act as an aiming device, to make the board follow a similar trajectory to your body. When you stop, the board will follow the trajectory it was on.
If the leash loaded up before the board released from the water, there will be elasticity in the kite lines, your body and the leash, which will produce an overall catapult effect.

Good imagination. So the Oceanus maker must be bankrupt now because of all the injuries related lawsuits, right? Really.
Its physics.

It doesn't mean it always results in an impact of board and rider. The 2 trajectories are going to be different - how much different depends on many factors. The longer the leash, the more likely the board would not reach the rider.
I'm surprised Oceanus do not make a longer leash option, where a stiff floating line would be taut between the rider and board but maybe up to 10 metres long, and the reel packs the line away as you pull the board back to you.
Low power surface riding would reduce the chances of an impact.
Yes it's also physics that caused my leash to snap in a moderate crash. So I bought another.

S4mb0
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami, Gold Coast
Favorite Beaches: All Gold Coast Beaches , Kailua, Hawaii .
Style: directional
Gear: 6M CloudC1 , 9M CloudC2 , 12M CloudC2 , 17M Cloud C1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby S4mb0 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:32 am

As badgb21 stated, it has been useful for me several times to have it on the harness unclipped just in case to attach to the board if there is a problem relaunching a downed kite. Body dragging is good to know although there are times I feel like shark bait. Mine doesn't reel all the way in any more but I don't want to take it apart, probably wouldn't be able to put it together again. 🤙🏽

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:33 am

Offshore reef waveriding i wear a leash if dealing with big/ heavy waves rips and big swims., especially if no wetsuit for buoyancy.

I guess the trouble with these ocANUS things is the people who use them tend to be less experienced/ educated and even more at risk. The girl in question looped her kite accidently while riding.. the board submarined and eventually catapulted into her face with extreme violence. 20 yo destined for stitched from the top to the bottom of her face.

Peoples choice what they do. I just giving information.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:52 pm

S4mb0 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:32 am
As badgb21 stated, it has been useful for me several times to have it on the harness unclipped just in case to attach to the board if there is a problem relaunching a downed kite. Body dragging is good to know although there are times I feel like shark bait. Mine doesn't reel all the way in any more but I don't want to take it apart, probably wouldn't be able to put it together again. 🤙🏽
easy peasy thing to do.
just remove the screws pull apart the two halves and wrap the excess webbing around the spool.( there are no springs or clips that can fly out of the unit)
or,
just cut away the excess remembering to use a ball stopper to prevent the webbing disappearing back into the unit, I find its better to have a tiny bit of tension on the webbing as it keeps the thing tidy and neat ready for use.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:04 am

some people use super short leashes .. like 1.5 ft long for reduced recoil... dont know the long term results havnt heard about them for a while..

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:09 pm

airsail wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:16 am
Just bought one of these things, first use today with my foil board, brilliant. Clipped onto a ring on the front strap while relaunching, board stayed with me, not drifting off. Once the kite was up, un clipped and off riding again. Too easy.
Out of interest, did you not worry about your foil getting tangled up in your lines whilst relaunching your kite?

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:48 am

Someone here once said they used thinner plastic zip ties to act as a pressure release on the leash connection to the board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”