Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Something going on at Cabrinha

Forum for kitesurfers
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Something going on at Cabrinha

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:40 pm

North may want to launch kites models under their North name (to punish "Duotone" that intends to pass-by the name North) ? tricky scenario ...

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:33 pm
I would guess that North is offering an opportunity to do things the way these guys think it should be done, and by providing them with all the best technology and expertise from North sails maybe a career change offer was just to good to refuse...? After 20 years of the same politics it doesn't take much to jump ship if you are promised more control of direction and vision....
My guess is this is pretty close. I mean, maybe North is offering a substantial pay increase PLUS the ability to have more input/control over the end product. Not to mention, some people would look at the ability to build something from "scratch" as very satisfying. But, who knows...

As far as something being wrong at Cabrinha, all I can say is I was at the dealer meeting in June and I saw some pretty cool stuff. No signs of disaster that I could see; in fact lots of very stoked people. And no, Cab doesn't release on August 1st, it's the 14th.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:04 pm

As long as the kite market is not growing significantly any more, NewOldNorthKB needed to grab market shares from current competitors to establish their so far unknown and unprooved products. As long as there is no new and really game changing crossbow-like patent around, which they might count on, I´d wonder what makes them putting so much money on the desk with people with a known industry track record, yes agreed, but of course no Steve Jobs visions proven so far. I cannot imagine a strategy to stick NKB labels onto a Cab product to add value. And by the way scare off Cab customers who did explicitely dislike NKB. There must be something new we are not aware of.
Or apart from whining dealers there are still huge profit opportunities in the business.

coupdevill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Hood River, Hatteras, SPI
Style: Chaotic
Gear: Slingshot & Ride Engine
Has thanked: 0

Postby coupdevill » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:29 pm

As I understand it:

NP and Cabrinha have/are parting ways

North Sails (Licensing North Kites) has parted ways with Boards & More (my guess is NS wanted more for licensing fees or hostile buyout etc.)

Boards & More Re-launch the snowboard brand name DouTone as a kite brand

North Sails sees an opportunity when NP/Cabrinha part ways

These moves are rarely a good sign, rarely!

coup

Romes_A
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 83kg
Local Beach: Progreso - Chicxulub - Telchak . Yucatan, Mexico
Favorite Beaches: Chicxulub , Wind All the year .
Style: Oldschool- Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha - Nobile - ION
Brand Affiliation: Any that Wants to sponsor me , or support me to push the brand forward.
Been thanked: 0

Postby Romes_A » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:33 pm

There are a lot of rumors at the kite top beaches.....

one of them is that Kitebrands cant keep this pace of sponsorships, travels and everything easy and relax. they spent too much in those things and many of them are broke.....

so they are saling they brands , patents, or unite 2 o 3 old brands or companys in one only.

for sure this is going to be a new begining in the way the kite bussines move from now.

I just pray and hope we customers, riders and pioneers of this amazing sport dont result damage with hight prices, etc

decay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:42 pm

Laughingman wrote:
I would guess that North is offering an opportunity to do things the way these guys think it should be done, and by providing them with all the best technology and expertise from North sails maybe a career change offer was just to good to refuse...? After 20 years of the same politics it doesn't take much to jump ship if you are promised more control of direction and vision....
^^^ Very close to the truth

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:47 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:54 pm
And no, Cab doesn't release on August 1st, it's the 14th.
The past three years gear has been released Aug 1st. So for some reason they have decided to stray this year...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2397033&hilit=cabrinha+2018

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2393414&p=939973&hi ... 17#p939973

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2389706&p=896680&hi ... os#p896680

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Just keep making the same dam kites if money is the issue, the current designs work great and would keep me happy for the next twenty years if they made no changes...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:04 pm

decay wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:42 pm
Laughingman wrote:
decay saying so ... I believe!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:04 pm
decay wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:42 pm
Laughingman wrote:
decay saying so ... I believe!
Laughingman = smrt! :rollgrin:

Return to “Kitesurfing”