Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Suggestions on which "neutral buoyancy" foil to get.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Suggestions on which "neutral buoyancy" foil to get.

Postby oldkiter » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:20 pm

Have a LF Happy foil and happy pill board.
Having too much problem getting board on edge to waterstart.
Wearing me out! Just too weak and/or old!!
Appreciate any suggestions as to which foil setups are basically "neutral buoyant" so that foil more or less sits on water when starting.

Thanks.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Suggestions on which "neutral buoyancy" foil to get.

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm using a ketos foil and board since I started foiling and I'm very happy with it.

It's almost neutral buoyant but enough to float itself and it's so light but strong too, cause I'm foilboosting all day round and still nothing has broken.

Only upgrade I did is I swaped the bigger wing I started with for a smaller Freeride one and everything improved.

But I think it doesn't has the ultralowend you can extract from a more floaty board.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 pm

I can share my experience, will avoid mentioning brands. I started on an aluminium foil (maybe that was a particularly heavy one, have not tried others) and I hated how heavy it was and how hard each waterstart was. Then I had an opportunity to buy a used carbon setup for a good price so I switched to that. The difference was like night and day. Although carbon still sinks, it is very easy to hold, feels like a feather in comparison to my first setup.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Ketos as well. Very light and easy since you need so few effort to keep it on its edge (useful in light and strapless)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm

A friend let me use his Ketos with pocket board. It’s the nicest setup I’ve used.

My foil is Levitaz and the SS fuselage is a big ballast that rights the foil even more than Alu setups I have tried. When using a volume board there is some work to put it on its side. A thin board reduces the righting moment by allowing the rail to sink. With a skin board (crazy fly chill deck proto) I can waterstart without my hands on the board. I just lay my feet on the board and use the water pressure against downwind movement to put the foil in start position.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:11 pm

Ketos is a good choice. Foil with Pocket board feels freakishly light if you are used to alu foil. New Lift is not bad either.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:47 pm

If you swap the fuselage to carbon, it would alleviate the LF sinking problem. I have made 350g fuselage, and the foil become much nicer. With those standard 1200 g grossly overbuilt alum fuselages I wonder how competent the designers were.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Moses Onda Kite and Go Foil Kai are buoyant and will float on the surface.

Have a look at the video from 1:42 onwards. You can see the Onda float on the surface and keeping a volume board on its rail.

https://vimeo.com/280926753#t=102s

--
Gunnar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Can also only recommend the Ketos foils, as they sit quite long "heeled over", all of them.

Especially the "Surf" wing is amazing and even more floaty because of its size - they have had it for over a year now as a SUP wing, KF660-1200, but we are many using it as the perfect surf (kite) wing - so now it will come in a direct "kite" wing with only 2 holes.

8) PF

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Yah the carbon fuselage makes a big difference with the liquid force foil set. Also the Impluse wings add a lot of float.
But the best advice I can give is get a board with less volume so you can sink the edge. This will help you water launch with much less effort then the 20L+ boards which you really need to leverage to get on their edge.

Return to “Hydrofoil”