Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

thin booties, sharp objects, too keep out sand Help!

Forum for kitesurfers
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

thin booties, sharp objects, too keep out sand Help!

Postby papasmerf » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:26 am

so, at my beach, i think booties are essential. broken glass, bottle caps, thorns, god knows what else. i would love to go barefooot but it just is too risky i think. but finding the right booties is so hard. i had been using some flexic privot? surf booties, they are great, very thin but one big problem, when i walk in, the waves churn up sand and little rocks and they go straight into the damn booties, wash to the bottom and i am sooo uncomfortable with my feet in my straps with the rocks in there. they do this because they are very low cut, so i am trying to find a thin bottom surf bootie with some spandex or thin neoprene that goes up a like above my ankle bone, preferably without zioppers, i found a pair of excel booties that kinda works but they are a split toe and i don't know why, but that split toe is super uncomfortable once in the straps and when i am pushing inwards to go upwind or whatever, it just hurts my big toes,

,,, HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS LITTLE DILEMA, SURELY OTHER KITERS LIKE BOOTIES, HAS ANYONE FOUND A PAIR OF LIGHTWEIGHT BOOTIES FOR KITING THAT ARE NOT SPLIT TOE AND KEEP SAND OUT. THE LITTLE CORD ON THE LOW CUT BOOTIES DOES NOT KEEP STUFF OUT. IMO.

THANKS

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Re: thin booties, sharp objects, too keep out sand HELP!

Postby apollo4000 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:05 am

You Could try https://www.getfyf.com as an alternative.

FYI - They get slightly bigger when wet so check sizing. When I put them on dry they don’t properly fit over my big toe although they fit the rest of my feet properly. Once wet, they fit perfectly. I now wet them first along with my harness for snug fitting. I hate kiting without foot protection. Hate cutting or injuring my feet. These work perfectly. They will allow a little sand in if kiting on a sandy beach but it’s minimal, but no stones.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: thin booties, sharp objects, too keep out sand HELP!

Postby Foil » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:05 am

apollo4000 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:05 am
You Could try https://www.getfyf.com as an alternative.

FYI - They get slightly bigger when wet so check sizing. When I put them on dry they don’t properly fit over my big toe although they fit the rest of my feet properly. Once wet, they fit perfectly. I now wet them first along with my harness for snug fitting. I hate kiting without foot protection. Hate cutting or injuring my feet. These work perfectly. They will allow a little sand in if kiting on a sandy beach but it’s minimal, but no stones.
yes I had exactly the same problem and found the ideal bootie at decathlon,
its in their wetsuit dive boot section,
only this little gem is made of quite thin very flexible rubber and 2mm neoprene, I buy a size smaller to ensure there are no gaps and the ankle covering is tight which stops any sand getting in, but what is mega helpful is the little solid rubber bit at the back of the ankle as this allows you to get hold of the bootie and yank the thing off in one go without getting stuck half on or half off your foot, a common problem when wearing ankle high booties, the other thing is the price, being decathlon they are mega cheap, around £12 a pair,
I find them great on the foil as well, as the ankle covering stops the wing hurting so much when I knock my foot against it, which is a bonus for me as I have plates and screws both sides of my left ankle which hurt like hell if knocked buy a hard object.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Re: thin booties, sharp objects, too keep out sand Help!

Postby jyka » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 am

These are my summer boots: https://www.mares.com/shop/en-IC/diving ... ts-11.html
The bottom is so thick and hard, they are good to walk over sharp stones, or what ever are on the beach/underwater.
Friends on the beach are shocked when they see those "you don't feel the board" because of the hard and thick boot. WTF, twintip pads are 2 cm thick, and they aren't a problem? ;)

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:56 pm

We just had a local kiter scratch his foot on a shell fish, two days later he needed to be med flighted from Martha's Vineyard to Boston it got so bad. I guess
it's called a Vibrio.

I use NP booties, they do get sand in from time to time but not a problem..

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Just in case anyone has any second thoughts about foot protection....keep watching....ouchhhhhh!

https://youtu.be/ix4ShkDgftM

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 pm

ION Ballistic boots 3/2 with a Kevlar sole. I have a pair and use them with the ankle straps removed. I tuck them under the wetsuit legs.
https://www.ion-products.com/water-men- ... -boots-32/

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46 am

those ion's look pretty good, except the split toe. i actually bought what i thought was going to be the perfect bootie and it was a split toe. i didn't think anything of it until i tried to use it and for some reason the split toe is really uncomfortable when jammed into the straps. i wish i could find something that wasn't a split toe.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Umm after 6y using five fingers and now the new model just for marine application, I'm quite happy with that. I'm not noticing any sand or shells in them. Use search for the review.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Can’t remember who, I’ll have to check, but someone is making stick on soles that protect just the bottoms of your feet so sand can’t get in. Not sure of the thickness, though. Never used or even seen them so no idea if they might work. Just saw the advert. If anyone tries them let us know.

Edit: Company is Barefit or Nakefit

Return to “Kitesurfing”