Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for my first foil board (surf+kite foiling)

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kishtsang
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Oostvoorne, Netherlands; Kijkduin/Zandmotor, Netherlands; Rockanje, Netherlands; Ouddorp, Netherlands; Hoek van Holland, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Kailua, Hawaii; Kanaha, Hawaii; Kahala, Hawaii; Kaneohe Sandbar; Hawaii; Mui Ne, Vietnam; Langebaan, SA
Style: Strapless, Wakestyle, Freeride
Gear: Zian Hantu V3 7m, 9m, 11m
Best TS LW 15m
Flysurfer Peak 3 12m

Axis Tranq 141
Shinn Ultrasonic
Best Stubby Pro
Slingshot Alien Air + H4 Surf Wing
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Looking for my first foil board (surf+kite foiling)

Postby kishtsang » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:10 am

Hey all,

After debating for years wether to invest in a hydrofoil or not, I finally bought myself one. With the arrival of bigger wings (slower speeds) and more and more hydrofoil wings being used for kiting but also doubling for surfing, I invested in the Slingshot H4 (2019: Space Skate). Being able to be used during kitefoiling, but also surffoiling my next step is to invest in a suitable board for both disciplines. I just want a board that does it all. After reading some reviews, I got a few options:

Slingshot Alien Air ( + Lots of volume for easy paddling, easy to start kitefoiling with - heavy, limitations by such a wide board?)
LF Galaxy (+ Light, great for kitefoiling, could be used for surfing - not that much volume)
Appletree Foil 50 (+ Volume, carbon build, not too big - $$$$)

I really like the appletree, but the price of 900 euro's at least is a bit too steep at the moment. What would you guys choose? Are there options I missed?

Thanks!

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Re: Looking for my first foil board (surf+kite foiling)

Postby topmick » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 am

Kitesurf = low volume
Surf = high volume
If I were you, I'd decide which discipline is more important to you & choose appropriately.

VB705
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM

Postby VB705 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:41 am

I have the alien air as well. Plenty of volume for surfing. Works great with the strap removed and 24” mast. I’m far from mastering it but I’ve had several decent rides up on foil with the H2 wing when there is no wind.

The alien air volume also helps during self rescue or light wind relaunch. It has saved me during some long paddles when pushing the light wind threshold.

Jonpnw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pacific Northwest
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Quikfin

Postby Jonpnw » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 pm

Another board to consider is the Slingshot converter that works well as a foil board or as a strapless surf board , paired with the Space Skate/H4 wing is a nice entry level / intermediate solution.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:38 pm

See if you can find an old raceboard? There are more than enough people that want to get rid of their old one. Most of them will have a tuttle box and that could at least get you started? If you want a surfboard maybe get that especially for foil surfing? I dunno. I was playing with the thought of converting an old 4'1 naish skater to a foil / foilsurf, but I am not sure if I am good enough of a surfer to pop up on a 4'1'1'' haha.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:21 am

Yes, for you FIRST foilboard, you can use a bigger board that could work as a surffoil and a kitefoil.

Later you might be able to use the board in marginal winds too, where size and volume is essential.

BUT, you might end up never using the big chunky surffoil with a kite, when you have learned, and found the sweetness of small boards :naughty:

Experienced riders have looked for the same combo surffoil+kitefoil board one for all, but those I know havent found any :roll:

If you are an extremely good surfer you might be able to use a surffoil board so small (and light) that it could work fine for kitefoil too, but not many will be able to IMO :wink:

8) PF

kishtsang
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oostvoorne, Netherlands; Kijkduin/Zandmotor, Netherlands; Rockanje, Netherlands; Ouddorp, Netherlands; Hoek van Holland, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Kailua, Hawaii; Kanaha, Hawaii; Kahala, Hawaii; Kaneohe Sandbar; Hawaii; Mui Ne, Vietnam; Langebaan, SA
Best TS LW 15m
Flysurfer Peak 3 12m

Axis Tranq 141
Shinn Ultrasonic
Best Stubby Pro

Postby kishtsang » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 am

Jonpnw wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 pm
Another board to consider is the Slingshot converter that works well as a foil board or as a strapless surf board , paired with the Space Skate/H4 wing is a nice entry level / intermediate solution.
I looked into this too, but I think it's too heavy to really surf with with it.

kishtsang
Rare Poster
Best TS LW 15m
Flysurfer Peak 3 12m

Axis Tranq 141
Shinn Ultrasonic
Best Stubby Pro

Postby kishtsang » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:37 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:21 am
Yes, for you FIRST foilboard, you can use a bigger board that could work as a surffoil and a kitefoil.

Later you might be able to use the board in marginal winds too, where size and volume is essential.

BUT, you might end up never using the big chunky surffoil with a kite, when you have learned, and found the sweetness of small boards :naughty:

Experienced riders have looked for the same combo surffoil+kitefoil board one for all, but those I know havent found any :roll:

If you are an extremely good surfer you might be able to use a surffoil board so small (and light) that it could work fine for kitefoil too, but not many will be able to IMO :wink:

8) PF
Thanks for your expertise! Definitely taking this into consideration

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Takuma ZK 5'6 works as a very good option for a single board both for kiting and surffoiling. Volume is around 50L but it doesn't feel too large under kite. Super light - only around 3kg. If you are a very good surfer - Takuma Mini 4'6 would work best.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:24 pm

You can have all in one board. You have to understand that you can paddle into waves with really small boards. Too many people are buying boards way too big for prone foiling.

For example Look here. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm92svFnPnx ... pewompcnu8

Surfer is 6’3 200 lbs paddling into knee high surf with 3’11 x 19.5 x 3 foilboard. With a big GoFoil wing under the board, he paddles as fast as any long boarder, with little effort. I surf with this guy.

Return to “Hydrofoil”