Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2018 Naish Slash

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Naish Slash

Postby tautologies » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Had another session on the 7 slash. This time with a TT. Super fun, jumps like crazy just like Clint said. It is has much less aggressive initial pull than the pivot, which makes it easier to control. I would think this kite is a great kite also for jumping for intermediate kiters.

Great hangtime, great pull, even and predictable. Nice looping. I'm so excited about this kite.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:58 pm

:thumb: it´s really a versatile kite, far beyond the pure wave aspect. I also ride the 7 with my TT and love it for that. I am teaching my 14 year old son on it as well, works really good.

stunaite
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby stunaite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:18 am

How is the bar pressure of the 2018 Slash? (Compared with a Pivot 2016 if possible)

Is a kite that needs constant steering (which can stress the elbows)?

Is there another wave kite with lighter bar pressure?

Thanks in Advance for any comment.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:04 pm

stunaite wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:18 am
How is the bar pressure of the 2018 Slash? (Compared with a Pivot 2016 if possible)

Is a kite that needs constant steering (which can stress the elbows)?

Is there another wave kite with lighter bar pressure?

Thanks in Advance for any comment.
I've only used it on the regular setting and I'd say bar pressure is slightly lighter than pivot. It's still the same nice even pressure through the sheeting range. You can adjust it to light bar pressure. I do not think the steering needs to be active like I felt it was on the dash. The kite hangs back and drifts well but is s great jumper too.

I think on the lighter setting you'll be fine.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 am

I had north for years and a couple of years ago bought rrd religion because I have more fun in the waves .yesterday north sardinia about 18 20 knots ,1,5 2 mt waves a friend gave me 8 slash to try.
Super quality and more power than my 8 rrd,travel faster,goes equal upwind ,yumps much more.
I found it travels too forward ....reminds the rebel .....consequence takes time to change direction .....too much time to be called wave kite.....some slow turning speed, arc......radius should be smaller .
flat water ,maybe foil,yumping with TT could be good . its power should be managed ,used to have fun in the waves otherwise is water ski if I go down too long.
maybe had to be used one or two smaller size like they were suggesting years ago for north neo.
maybe heavier guys need and can manage better its power .....could not say.
yust one hour and first time with a slash.......... very personal impression !

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:34 pm

piccio wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 am
I had north for years and a couple of years ago bought rrd religion because I have more fun in the waves .yesterday north sardinia about 18 20 knots ,1,5 2 mt waves a friend gave me 8 slash to try.
Super quality and more power than my 8 rrd,travel faster,goes equal upwind ,yumps much more.
I found it travels too forward ....reminds the rebel .....consequence takes time to change direction .....too much time to be called wave kite.....some slow turning speed, arc......radius should be smaller .
flat water ,maybe foil,yumping with TT could be good . its power should be managed ,used to have fun in the waves otherwise is water ski if I go down too long.
maybe had to be used one or two smaller size like they were suggesting years ago for north neo.
maybe heavier guys need and can manage better its power .....could not say.
yust one hour and first time with a slash.......... very personal impression !
Great review.
I think you'd get used to the difference if you had more time on it. I tend to crank the bar pretty hard on it. I have ridden both side shore and onshore waves on it as well as flat water TT. Granted I might be heavier than you, but I think I would feel if it wanted to pull me off my the wave(?). To me there is no power spike when turning. It is for instance what makes it pull so evenly when jumping. The loops are not powerful, yet you an get some speed when landing. It also drifts really well.
:-)

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:31 am

Hi All,
Getting some great info on this thread. I need some advice from Pivot/Slash users. Been riding Pivots every year since 2015. I only ride a directional in the surf. Do lots of downwinders mostly. I am 84kgs and currently have the 7/9m Pivot 2018’s. Would call myself intermediate/advanced. Have always loved the Pivots as it’s a great all rounder and i need a fast turning kite at my local which is on-shore wind swell. Issue is I never get the 9m out as the 7 works for me from 18kts. I don’t bother Kiting in any less these days due to having next to zero disposable spare time. The 7m is brilliant but I find with each passing new model, the power for boosting is getting more. The 2018 now yanks me off my board in turns and find it boosts me too high doing chop hops and small aerials. So my questions for Slash riders are:
1. Would the 7m 2018 or 2019 Slash have same/similar power to the 2018 7m Pivot?
2. What is the turning speed comparison for these two kites?

Going to go for a one kite quiver so need
To know if I should go for the 7m or 8m Slash. Thanks in advance.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:03 am

riddim1 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:31 am
Hi All,
Getting some great info on this thread. I need some advice from Pivot/Slash users. Been riding Pivots every year since 2015. I only ride a directional in the surf. Do lots of downwinders mostly. I am 84kgs and currently have the 7/9m Pivot 2018’s. Would call myself intermediate/advanced. Have always loved the Pivots as it’s a great all rounder and i need a fast turning kite at my local which is on-shore wind swell. Issue is I never get the 9m out as the 7 works for me from 18kts. I don’t bother Kiting in any less these days due to having next to zero disposable spare time. The 7m is brilliant but I find with each passing new model, the power for boosting is getting more. The 2018 now yanks me off my board in turns and find it boosts me too high doing chop hops and small aerials. So my questions for Slash riders are:
1. Would the 7m 2018 or 2019 Slash have same/similar power to the 2018 7m Pivot?
2. What is the turning speed comparison for these two kites?

Going to go for a one kite quiver so need
To know if I should go for the 7m or 8m Slash. Thanks in advance.
So the slashes are pretty powerful in its own way. It is not as grunty as the pivot and it certainly is a lot smoother than the pivot in gusty conditions. The 7 Slash has less grunt than the 7 pivot, but the smoothness makes it a lot easier to ride in waves and especially in gusty conditions.
The new 2019 slash seems to have been ironed out even further. Great jumping kite, but no pull you off your edge in gusty wind. Nothing better to prove that then riding it with a foil.
It has a lot thinner LE and struts and feels a lot faster. I have yet to try it in serious waves but love the kite. I can report back once the swell starts hitting, but I would not hesitate to recommend the kite for sure. :-)

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:20 am

I second that concerning grunt, power and smoothness. Have not ridden my 2019 7m yet but the 2018. I used to have 11/8/6 with the Pivot. Starting last year, I now have 11/8 Pivot and 7 Slash (and 5m Slash for those rare days). The windranges/overlap between the 8 Pivot and the 7 Slash work very well for me.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:13 am

Dirk, you were the one top convince me about the slash. I'm convinced and even changed my beloved 11 pivot to an 11 slash. I kept the 9 pivot a d im kind of wondering about a 20 pivot.

Im also thinking about a 5 or 6 boxer for foiling? You like the 5 slash?

Return to “Kitesurfing”