qwertyjjj
Rare Poster
Gear: Na
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Got lofted once

Postby qwertyjjj » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:59 pm

When I first got into kiting, I tried a one day fast course (let's just say this was new instructors in Vietnam back in 2008 - safety was taught but not top of the list).
On my second day (certified by then) I was sent out with a 75ft line and maybe a 10m in what felt like 25knots but not sure exactly. I didn't feel overpowered so was probably ok but I still hadn't been able to get going on the board. Quite how they let me out by myself at this stage I don't know but anyway.

I dived the kite from 2 o'clock to 10 and managed to get planing on the board but then lost balance and fell over, crashed the kite. The kite somehow relaunched even though I wasn't holding the bar and went from the sea all the way through to 12 and back down crashing on the other side of the window. I was lofted a huge distance like an astronaut and luckily landed safely (without life jacket I might add).

So, I'm considering restarting kiting and obviously this is on my mind. I'm comfortable controlling the kite bit am wondering how to avoid a situation where the kite crashes and relaunches itself. Maybe back in 2008 the bars didn't have full depower I'm not sure? :o
Any advice? Obviously start with a smaller kite but this seems like a situation where the diving force of the kite rather than the size lofted me.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Got lofted once

Postby matth » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:11 am

Learn to let go of the bar or sheet it ALL the way out when you crashed or are disoriented. If you get lofted with a bar fully sheeted out , you are seriously overpowered.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.

Postby SaltWaterDog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:00 am

Sounds like a real baptism by fire (and all to common scenario especially at tourist destinations). Your experience is probably the number one reason why enthusiastic beginners quit. Nothing like a shock at the early stages for most people to go “f*** this!” and never go back. Agree with matth’s comment. Maybe shop around for a good instructor in your area to get you going again. 3-5 hours of one-on-one coaching can lay a good foundation and you’re already acutely aware of the possible risks.

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster
Gear: Na

Postby qwertyjjj » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:58 am

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:00 am
Sounds like a real baptism by fire (and all to common scenario especially at tourist destinations). Your experience is probably the number one reason why enthusiastic beginners quit. Nothing like a shock at the early stages for most people to go “f*** this!” and never go back. Agree with matth’s comment. Maybe shop around for a good instructor in your area to get you going again. 3-5 hours of one-on-one coaching can lay a good foundation and you’re already acutely aware of the possible risks.
Definitely but I still think the odd thing about the situation is the way the kite relaunched itself and went from 9pm all the way up and crashed back down. I mean how are you supposed to stop that when you've just fallen over, lost the board, and not in an upright position in the water?!
Are you saying if the kite was the right size, no sudden movement like that could have lofted me? That full arc movement is about as powerful as you can get diving the kite? I'd say it went right through the power zone as well rather than the zenith so I was thrust up and forward :o

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:03 am

Couple of thoughts.

First, if the kite crashed, then relaunched and did a full arc across the window only to crash on the other side, your lines were probably looped around one side of the bar. Kites don't misbehave on their own. Usually, there is input from the bar to make a kite do that. So, always be conscious of your lines and avoid looping or tangling lines around the bar (or fingers, legs, boards, etc).

Kites that were current models in 2008 had good de-power systems. But bow kites with good 4-line sheetable bar systems were recent enough back then that you might have been using a 3-4 year-old C-kite that didn't have all the "modern" conveniences. Today, you shouldn't have that issue as long as you stick to recent model kites.

The two preceding comments are on target. Find a good instructor and go for it. You won't regret re-entering the sport and, if you have good kite control, you are already on you way. :thumb:

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:57 am

10M kite in 25 knots is a serious challenge for a brand new kiter.
Do some body dragging first with the kite to get comfortable without dealing with the dual challenges of kite and board at the same time. Can be quite fun.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:08 am

glad you are coming back. Hopefully this time you will have a blast!

You should stay away from stronger winds. Go out again in around 15 knots...with a slightly bigger kite.

And take few lessons again, just to make sure you get it right.

Keep us informed about your progressions! Good luck

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:21 am

25knots is just a crazy amount of wind to be beginning in. Even a 6m could potentially loft and seriously injure you in such wind.

10-15knots is so much nicer wind to learn in. Bigger kites are in fact easier to learn with. I would suggest a nice big board and a 12 or 15m kite. Set 15-18knots as your limit maybe even lower. You need to learn about wind, how to float down if you get lofted and most importantly having your downwind safe, which for a beginner is lots of deep water. Anything solid downwind will potentially kill or injure you.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.

Postby SaltWaterDog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:03 pm

qwertyjjj wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:58 am
SaltWaterDog wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:00 am
Definitely but I still think the odd thing about the situation is the way the kite relaunched itself and went from 9pm all the way up and crashed back down. I mean how are you supposed to stop that when you've just fallen over, lost the board, and not in an upright position in the water?!
Are you saying if the kite was the right size, no sudden movement like that could have lofted me? That full arc movement is about as powerful as you can get diving the kite? I'd say it went right through the power zone as well rather than the zenith so I was thrust up and forward :o
As others have already stated, if it really was blowing 25kts that day it’s seriously irresponsible to send a complete newbie out in that. Kite schools at vacation destinations tend to be focused on making a quick buck and are all to aware they will likely never see their customers again. No incentive to establish any sort of relationship so many will get away with that kind of behavior. Hard to say what could’ve gone wrong but FLandOBX’s guess seems like a good guess. When you’re completely new it’s very easy to get disoriented when something goes wrong. ‘08 kites were before my time and who knows the type of kite you were on. I think you can be calm about the gear you’ll be on today. If you take some lessons on a tried and tested kite like Switchblade, Rally, Rebel or XR I’m sure you’ll be fine with a good instructor. Just make sure you skip group lessons and go straight for one-on-one instruction. In groups there’s too much standing around wasting precious time while you’re waiting your turn.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Sounds like you were on a old C kite, it was 2008, in Vietnam, Bows were new. New kites will not relaunch usually without input. Brings back memories of the old days with a 5M Quadrafoil foil, and bring lofted. Early foil kites were even More dangerous. Newer equipment so much safer. Be safe and enjoy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”