Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hatteras to get another new bridge ... this one sucks.

Forum for kitesurfers
toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hatteras to get another new bridge ... this one sucks.

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:35 am

Poacher....I'm with you 100%.

Of course there are tons of houses up and down the line in the tri-cities and Avon, but there's a special thing about the location in Mirlo Beach. You can hit NE and NNE winds better there than anywhere south (except the Frisco area) for the most part for riders who don't want to go ocean side. The house we rent in my opinion is one of the absolute best anywhere and has a lot of advantages that are hard to find anywhere else on the island. Trust me, I've researched a LOT of houses all over.
Grass rigging (really hard to find). Shallow water (easy to find). Deep water (hard to find) near life saving station for foiling and just a great place to ride twin tips and foiling all in one area. 6 bedroom and not expensive (super hard to find all of these in one house anywhere). Love OBX and just wish the bridge was built above the current road and then once past the last house, then they could extend it out into the sound and up from there. The businesses who operate there deserve a permanent solution, but the current Jug Handle will unjustly affect the Mirlo Beach home owners and renters.
Last edited by toyletbowl on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:37 am

Poacher....we are there Oct 13th - 27th and I agree that it should still be good to go, but you never know. Look us up if you are coming either of those weeks. You know where we are.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:57 pm

toyletbowl wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:37 am
Poacher....we are there Oct 13th - 27th and I agree that it should still be good to go, but you never know. Look us up if you are coming either of those weeks. You know where we are.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Yeah Bob thanks for the invite! We were looking at ticket prices last night. They are pretty reasonable right now. So if we can get our work schedules and vacation times on the same page, you may have a few other Wisconsinites knocking at your door. (with a case of Yuengling.) :thumb:

Blake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks and Presqu'ile
Favorite Beaches: Mirlo Beach in Hatteras
Style: Old school
Gear: Board Riding Maui and Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Blake » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Just read that the first piling for the Jug Handle bridge has been placed....

https://outerbanksvoice.com/2018/09/08/ ... le-bridge/

Not good at all.......

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Does anyone know for certain that kiting will NOT be allowed inside the jug handle bridge? There appears to be a large area of water on the inside of the bridge, and I'm sure kayaks, SUPs, fishing skiffs, etc. will use that area. My guess is there isn't a kiting prohibition (yet). It's possible there could be a decent semi-slick effect on the inside of the bridge on SW wind. I know it's not ideal (gusty, ugly, different, etc.) for Mirlo-beach loyalists, but I'm just curious what's actually prohibited.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm
Does anyone know for certain that kiting will NOT be allowed inside the jug handle bridge? There appears to be a large area of water on the inside of the bridge, and I'm sure kayaks, SUPs, fishing skiffs, etc. will use that area. My guess is there isn't a kiting prohibition (yet). It's possible there could be a decent semi-slick effect on the inside of the bridge on SW wind. I know it's not ideal (gusty, ugly, different, etc.) for Mirlo-beach loyalists, but I'm just curious what's actually prohibited.
I think that was actually Kitty Hawk lesson spot when wind is NNE, they would jetski up there to get slightly cleaner wind and it's relatively shallow...
I guess they will have to ride out instead like Real does it. I doubt they will do it on inside.

There are plenty of slicks though in OBX ;)

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm
FLandOBX wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm
I think that was actually Kitty Hawk lesson spot when wind is NNE, they would jetski up there to get slightly cleaner wind and it's relatively shallow...
I guess they will have to ride out instead like Real does it. I doubt they will do it on inside.

There are plenty of slicks though in OBX ;)
You can still get up to Pea Island flats via jet ski from outside of the bridge, but he's asking about riding inside the bridge. No-one would ever take a lesson inside there unless they wanted kites wrapped around the bridge by the newbies. Hmmm....maybe they should all do lessons on the inside.

I don't see why you could not ride inside the bridge, but not sure why you would want to unless there were no other options.

First piling going in? Just great.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Why not running an elevated road through area in green?
Why mess up view and property of 20 soundfront/sunsetfront houses and their endless guests, not counting dozens of houses on the streets running towards the sound.
The island goes for miles and miles, nobody wants to kill the birds, they will nest on other endless swamp or right under the raised road, just as deers and horses live right there in the bush.

As is it today - is it possible a drive to inflate project cost and get a nice, more expensive contract?

Or the Island being natural born Trump county is losing it and needs government help to tell them how to live?
Attachments
E52B1B76-7244-4FB4-A275-3C62B2640F98.jpeg
Last edited by grigorib on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:59 pm

Let’s see what’s left over OBX after Florence...fingers crossed

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Winds won’t be bad. OBX will get a surge and dunes blown around. Road might get breached randomly. For being a huge sandbar that’s normal.

I know there’s no way to influence the ongoing construction. I hope Waves, Salvo and Avon deliver huge piles of compensation money to Mirlo beach house owners though to convert their "sunset view" to "bridge view" and to cover eternal gap in soundfront revenue, especially in off season.
And for “safety” towns supposedly get

Return to “Kitesurfing”