Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:00 am

Bossstyle wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:22 am
Hi guys I have just bought a soul 15m. I haven’t used it yet as winds too high right now which is the most useable kite in the soul series? I am worried after reading everything I should maybe have gone for the 12m and not the 15 if they had done a 13m I would definitely have bout that but as they didn’t and have a 11m tube I thought 15 would be better?
Every one seems to be ranting about the 12m though and not much rant of the 15. Should I return it and see if they will exchange it for a 12m they are so dear really want to get use from it and have fun. Is the 12m more fun?
Have the 15m and 8m. I can take my 15m out in up to 25kts and it’s a blast to fly. I think the most usable Soul is a 10m if you hydrofoil and the 12m if you ride a hydrofoil.

What kind of winds do you have at your local spot and what kind of riding do you do?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:32 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:00 am
I think the most usable Soul is a 10m if you hydrofoil and the 12m if you ride a hydrofoil.
Hey, AdventureLogs. Did you mean to say 10m for hydrofoil and 12m for twintip?? I'm interested in the mid-size Soul, as well, because I've got a Speed 4 Lotus 15m and lots of smaller tube kites. I ride a twintip and occasionally a directional, but do not hydrofoil, mostly flat water or chop in wind that can range from light to nuking. Based on my research (including your fine video reviews), I'm leaning towards the 12 m Soul (even with Speed 4 overlap). Thoughts?

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bossstyle » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:27 am

I don’t hydrofoil yet so twin tip use. Have a flyradical 5, 50/50 pro wakestyle and a spleene door for light. My 11m kite is a bandit 2018. It’s a great fun kite for loops etc but I wanted something for airstyle and big boosts to learn more tricks as the bandit is a very fast kite. Being able to loop and have the kite catch me as well would be an added bonus not sure if the 15m is too big for that is or would the 12m do all?

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm

twin tip....boosting.......15m im on hydrofoil and boost the 15 in 12-16 kts 40- 50 footers......its a boosting machine. have seen severa other kiters on woo hit 50 plus on 15 in 20kts on twin tip. 12 is not for boosting until 16 kts up on foil , not sure how translates to twin....but you would need more wind. Having said that they have great low end for foilboard because of super powerspike.....not sure it translates to twintip.

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
F-one bandit 9m 2018
Flyradical 5 twin tip

Postby Bossstyle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:46 am

Do the souls like to be flown with tight back lines? Flying in an ozone bar should I use the knot nearest the Bar shortest line setting or the one in the middle please?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:07 pm

I fly mine using the Ozone bar on normal setting. Seems fine. Like most kites it flies best with the trim strap on full power, meaning tighter back lines, but I haven't tried shortening them beyond the usual setting - being a foil kite there is a risk it'll start back stalling if you fly it with back lines too short.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Bossstyle wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:46 am
Do the souls like to be flown with tight back lines? Flying in an ozone bar should I use the knot nearest the Bar shortest line setting or the one in the middle please?
They like the steering lines to be 5cm shorter than the front lines. Anymore and you may have backstall issues.

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
F-one bandit 9m 2018
Flyradical 5 twin tip

Postby Bossstyle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:19 am

First flight on my 15 m today. Wow what a great kite was on a 50cm Bar though with 25m lines. Would of liked it a little faster thinking maybe tightening the rear lines to the shorter setting may just do this. Will try it next time out. Am going to try and make up a 55cm Bar as well though not sure whether to stay at 25m lines or go down to 20m lines to try and achieve this. Would like it to down loop a little quicker as it made me shoot down Wind like a rocket about quarter of a mile every time I tried one and would go so fast I would over run the kite and it came out the air. Bizzareky it back lo looped offthe back hand pull very sweetly without a great deal of pull unlike an Lei.
Last edited by Bossstyle on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:04 am

^^ If it's a new kite, give it 5 hours of flight time to fully break in before you make changes. It will speed up a little but but the 50cm bar does have a little to do with it, really need a 55/60cm bar. Again I wouldn't make the steering lines more than 5cm shorter than the front lines. You'll get backstall issues if you do.

=Jason-

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
F-one bandit 9m 2018
Flyradical 5 twin tip

Postby Bossstyle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:05 pm

I would imagine using the middle knot setting on the ozone bar probably leaves them equal. On all the Lei’s From various brands you always get more range and a better flying/jumping kite on the 3 rd not on the ozone bars shortest line setting so I reckon that will give the 5cm line difference you say to. Will definitely try it next trip out. Certainly there was no back movevement of the kite when pulling the bar all the way in on the middle setting even with no depower pulled.
Last edited by Bossstyle on Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”