Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner kite: Core XR5 or Naish Pivot

Forum for kitesurfers
SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Beginner kite- Core XR5 or Naish Pivot

Postby SaltWaterDog » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 am

LL2017 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:05 am
Thanks for all the advice! One of the main reasons I was leaning towards the XR5 vs Pivot was because where I live, a lot of the time the wind hovers around 15 mph and thought that the Xr5 15m LW would be ideal for those days and then the 12m for the good windy days..the downside with the Naish Pivot is the largest they make is the 14m and didn't think there would be a big difference between the 12m and the 14m compared to the Xr5. I was also given the suggestion to stay within the same brand for kites so wouldn't have to get an extra bar and then would simplify learning with the different size kites if same style. Any input on that?
Alright, I can tell you’re set on some new toys. Better to stay with the same brand no matter what you pick. I’d suggest this if it’s a 2 kite XR quiver you want:

- 15, 12 XR5 is a solid start and the 12 will do well for you even in those +25kts conditions when you’re ready. If later on you want to add a 9 that will give you a complete setup. If you’re in an area with lots of LW days a 17 instead of a 15 would be my suggestion. Sounds like a big kite but it’s the best 17 I’ve used and it still maintains the handling characteristics of the smaller sizes. You can easily get away with a 17, 12 setup but don’t go for the 17 unless you have plenty of LW days throughout the year.

The Sensor 2S+ bar is the most durable if you don’t want to splurge on the Pro option. But be aware the safety is a twist QR (only Core does this) and you should take some time to familiarise yourself with it.

Now to the really tough choices, have you settled on a board and harness yet?

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Postby Chicken-loop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:36 pm

LL2017,

What do you weigh? This may help with the advice.

LL2017
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby LL2017 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 pm

I’m planning on a seat harness as was told that’s better to learn on than a waist harness. Haven’t decided on a board yet either. I weigh ~170 lbs

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 pm

If you want to jump and learn hooked-in tricks you need to forget about the seat harness and get a hardshell or, of you’re fit, look at softshell. But you need a waist harness. Seats are good for learning but you’ll grow out of it in no time if you’re kiting regularly.

Stick with the 15, 12 kite combo given your weight and look at freeride boards around the 137 size but several factors come into play so get to know your dealer. You might want to consider a dedicated lightwind board/door. If you want to go all Core with your gear, Fusion3 is your board. But there are plenty of great boards out there. Harness and board are about as subjective a gear choice as you’ll make. The more you can demo the better.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:02 pm

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 pm
If you want to jump and learn hooked-in tricks you need to forget about the seat harness and get a hardshell or, of you’re fit, look at softshell. But you need a waist harness. Seats are good for learning but you’ll grow out of it in no time if you’re kiting regularly.
I disagree that you have to have waist harness to do any tricks..obviously, you also do not need a seat harness starting out. Getting a waist harness is fine for starting out.

I think what is worth thinking about is where do you want your center of effort to be, and how does it fit. Higher up will put more on your back lower down more on your legs. The hooking in or out of a seat harness is perfectly fine. If you go with something in between like a shorts harness it has the hook slightly higher than a regular seat.

At 170 you'd get away with a 14 pivot for the lightest wind IMO.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:34 pm

The only kiters I hear rave about their seats are racers, wave riders or older riders who just want to cruise all day. My only gripe with seats is they limit your movement. That, and most beginners drop them for waist options. Guess it depends how ambitious OP is with progressing. But the standard kite school recommendation that you should begin with a seat is bogus, imo.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3

Postby Chicken-loop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 pm

@ 170lbs I think a 15/12 combo would be too close. @ 220lbs I can get going on my 12m XR5 in 15knots on a largish twintip with small jumps. My next biggest kite I a 16m Airush One which gets get going on two knots earlier on the same board.

If I use my North Nugget I can going a little bit earlier on both kites.

I believe that single strut kites have the low wind advantage with their ability to hang in the air in the lulls and turn quicker in low wind conditions.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3

Postby Chicken-loop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:47 pm

Regarding Harnesses..

I have switched between both over the years and I am using a seat atm.

The waist does allow a lot more freedom of movement, but a seat pulls from lower and helps get the power to the board with easier rail engagement... but that is just personal experience, as everyone is different.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:13 am

As a beginner you will be MUCH better off with a seat harness because you will not be doing handle passes, riding blind and such. Also you will REALLY appreciate not having your harness scraping your armipts all the time and bruising your ribs when you crash.
As you advance you will probably be better off with a waist harness if you freestyle; otherwise a seat harness will help you carry more power more comfortably with less damage to your backbone over time. Jus' sayin'.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:04 pm

If your waistharness rides up and/or chafes, then you’ve got the wrong harness. The more you try out the better off you will ultimately be.

Keep a decent core strength, focus on your technique asylu prgress and a waist harness is all you’ll ever need for freeride/freestyle.

Return to “Kitesurfing”