Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hydrofoil comparison table

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:36 am
Kiting since: 2050
Style: Yes
Gear: North Dice
Shinn Monk the One
North Nugget
Zeeko foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby Lokihel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:02 am

I remember seeing a table which compared a few hydrofoils, with a rating on different variables.

I can't find the topic, it is probably from a year or two ago. Anyone remember that topic and has more luck finding it than me?
Some of the points on which the hydrofoils were rated were speed, stability, etc.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:45 pm

What question would you be trying to answer by reviewing such a table? If that table is more than 6 months old, it's useless, all the gear is changing on a 3-9 month timeline at this point and almost every manufacturer in the space is making something better than they did this time last year.

Mike's Lab and Enata are the fastest production race foils, followed by Levitaz. Delta is a really good foil, but not IKA registered at the moment.

If you're into surf and freeride, a table is entirely irrelevant as it's all subjective and comes down to what you like.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:05 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby juandesooka » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Couple good ones here. The tables in the first are quite helpful, providing lift and max speeds. Not specifically aimed at kiting, more about how to select between surf/sup/wake alternative uses.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/Foilboar ... ays-Ep-01/

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/hydrofoil/

User avatar
slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF
Location: Florida
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby slingshotucf » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:11 am


Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:36 am
Kiting since: 2050
Style: Yes
Gear: North Dice
Shinn Monk the One
North Nugget
Zeeko foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby Lokihel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:23 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:45 pm
What question would you be trying to answer by reviewing such a table? If that table is more than 6 months old, it's useless, all the gear is changing on a 3-9 month timeline at this point and almost every manufacturer in the space is making something better than they did this time last year.

Mike's Lab and Enata are the fastest production race foils, followed by Levitaz. Delta is a really good foil, but not IKA registered at the moment.

If you're into surf and freeride, a table is entirely irrelevant as it's all subjective and comes down to what you like.
If you're looking at second hand stuff because you don't have the money to buy the latest gear every six months it helpful to have 'old' information.

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:36 am
Kiting since: 2050
Style: Yes
Gear: North Dice
Shinn Monk the One
North Nugget
Zeeko foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby Lokihel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:25 am

juandesooka wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 pm
Couple good ones here. The tables in the first are quite helpful, providing lift and max speeds. Not specifically aimed at kiting, more about how to select between surf/sup/wake alternative uses.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/Foilboar ... ays-Ep-01/

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/hydrofoil/
Thanks. Helpful table with a lot of information.
Not the table I remembered, but helpful nonetheless.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:48 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby windmaker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am

Lokihel wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:25 am
juandesooka wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 pm
Couple good ones here. The tables in the first are quite helpful, providing lift and max speeds. Not specifically aimed at kiting, more about how to select between surf/sup/wake alternative uses.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/Foilboar ... ays-Ep-01/

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/hydrofoil/
Thanks. Helpful table with a lot of information.
Not the table I remembered, but helpful nonetheless.
Ok if you are only looking into non specialized main stream US brands but most of the top original brands are Eu based.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:35 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Lokihel wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:02 am
I remember seeing a table which compared a few hydrofoils, with a rating on different variables.

I can't find the topic, it is probably from a year or two ago. Anyone remember that topic and has more luck finding it than me?
Some of the points on which the hydrofoils were rated were speed, stability, etc.
If I recall, there was a French magazine that did an article about 3 years ago that had a break down of speed, upwind, stability, ease of use, etc. They liked Zeeko best, but I can’t remember all of the brands compared. That article is definitely outdated, but Zeeko is still a solid choice.

User avatar
Sandras
Medium Poster
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Location: Destin, FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby Sandras » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:18 pm

rafanal.jpg

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:36 am
Kiting since: 2050
Style: Yes
Gear: North Dice
Shinn Monk the One
North Nugget
Zeeko foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrofoil comparison table

Postby Lokihel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Sandras wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:18 pm
rafanal.jpg
Exactly that one!

How did you find it?


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PurdyKiter and 4 guests

cron