Flysurfer Speed5 9m

Nobile split board L
Flydoor XL
Liquid Force Comp 137
Slingshot vSurf foil & Simulator foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Q-Powerlines on Flysurfer

Postby Gyre » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Time for new flying lines on my Flysurfer bars. I'm thinking of Q-Powerline (read up extensively on the pros and cons vs the Dyneema / Liros / Spectra that FS bars ship with). But a couple of questions:

- How should I attach the depower line to the front line, given that I can't splice the Q-Powerline? Just tie a loop midway down my frontline and loop the depower line onto that? Or is there some way to attach a steel ring to the front line to which I can attach the depower line?
- And for the actual depower line I'm thinking of just using a chunk of my old Dyneema -- it's in good shape and should be plenty of test for a depower line. Good?
- The rated strength of Q-Powerline is only 600lbs / 272kg, a bit less than the 300kg Flysurfer uses on its front lines. Thoughts?

And a non-Q-Powerline approach: I see some people use Spectra fish line on their kites (http://www.bhptackle.com/home.php?cat=46). Is this safe, is the fish line testing as reliable? I mean losing a big fish is sad, but not as sad as a flying line snapping. I'm having a hard time finding bulk Spectra line. I'm happy doing my own splicing, and splicing your own saves a lot vs buying pre-spliced from FS.

Sorry if this is a repeat topic, the forum search tool ignores the "q" in "q-lines".

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Q-Powerlines on Flysurfer

Postby jakemoore » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:02 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... itch_knots

I have used a Prusik to convert a FS 5th line system (FDS) to the mini fifth (FLS). It will slide a little when you activate the safety. The nice thing is you can adjust the safety line length when line length is adjusted. I would test it thoroughly to make sure there is enough friction with Q-Power.

I have used Jerry-Brown one line for example to patch a bridle line or as the mini-fifth safety line. It is not pre-stretched and I would not use it as a flying line. And as a complete bridle line replacement only temporarily unless you enjoy continuously tuning the kite.

Recently I bought some Liros dyneema from BlackBox sailing. It might offer a more elegant solution than Q-Power.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Thats the issue with the fly surfer quick release - the hole in the middle is tiny and any line bigger than factory line will not pass through. You can attach the standard 5th line depower line to the q-line via a stopper ball or sew the 5th line onto the q-powerline.

I did not bother and just added a "oh-shit" handle to the one of the front flying lines above the top trim pulley and don't have any flag line running through the release. In the last three years, I only hand to flag my kite once to self land on a beach and the oh-shit handle works fine for that to flag the kite.

Also, for purchasing sk99 in bulk, some of the West Marine pro centers / sailing suppliers will sell sk99, or order/ship directly from https://www.liros.com/en/products/produ ... c-pro.html

Im a huge fan of q-power except that side lines could be a little thinner than front lines and q-power only really has one product to purchase.

Gyre
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed4 21m
Flysurfer Soul 15m
Flysurfer Speed3 12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 12m
Flysurfer Speed5 9m

Nobile split board L
Flydoor XL
Liquid Force Comp 137
Slingshot vSurf foil & Simulator foil board

Postby Gyre » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Decided to stick with braided line and splicing instead of Q-Power. I've just ordered some Liros from Blackbox Sailing (blackbox-sailing.de) and been doing some crude experiments on the strength and stability of Brummel vs simple eye splices... reading up here https://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php ... it=brummel but other comments also appreciated.

Return to “Foil Kites”