best launch spot in langebaan

Forum for kitesurfers
Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Re: best launch spot in langebaan

Postby Hpr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:26 pm

kraalbaai is across the lagoon from shark bay, inside the nature reserve. you have to pay to enter the nature reserve to go there and it is a long drive from langebaan. from what I remember they dont want people to launch kites in the reserve, but I could be wrong. the upper (southern) part of the lagoon is definitely out of bounds. at shark bay there is a sign that explains the boundaries of the kite area and there are markers in the water to indicate the limits. I was last there in 2014 and I dont remember the details but it is very important to stick to the requirements laid out by the authorities so that we dont loose the site! also, the wind can vary quite a bit inside the lagoon area, for example just downwind of the launch at shark bay there is an area of lower wind where many guys get stuck. it may be that the wind at kraalbaai is also not that great.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Road, perhaps caution about driving at night;

Launch area, Pearly's is at the left 'P' Photo from Jan 2012

Busy, but big when looking out to the right from the beach;

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Hugh2 wrote:We need to know your level of riding and interests. Langebaan gets boring quickly unless you are only into flat water and tricks. Cape Town is where it is at for ocean riding and waves and downwinders.
check- combine with Cape Town - for me Cape Town at 3-4m wave faces on a 9m kite was pretty intense...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Hpr wrote:kraalbaai is across the lagoon from shark bay, inside the nature reserve. you have to pay to enter the nature reserve to go there and it is a long drive from langebaan. from what I remember they dont want people to launch kites in the reserve, but I could be wrong. the upper (southern) part of the lagoon is definitely out of bounds. at shark bay there is a sign that explains the boundaries of the kite area and there are markers in the water to indicate the limits. I was last there in 2014 and I dont remember the details but it is very important to stick to the requirements laid out by the authorities so that we dont loose the site! also, the wind can vary quite a bit inside the lagoon area, for example just downwind of the launch at shark bay there is an area of lower wind where many guys get stuck. it may be that the wind at kraalbaai is also not that great.
Thanks Hpr

windeze
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: mangroovy
Style: lawnmower
Gear: 8 and 11 sblade.14.5 flite
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Postby windeze » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:59 pm

TomW wrote:
Hugh2 wrote:We need to know your level of riding and interests. Langebaan gets boring quickly unless you are only into flat water and tricks. Cape Town is where it is at for ocean riding and waves and downwinders.
check- combine with Cape Town - for me Cape Town at 3-4m wave faces on a 9m kite was pretty intense...
tbh me and my mate just want flat water. Waves have no appeal whatsoever.I daresay if I kited enough I would change my mind but I just don't get out enough.
ive kited in lumpy seas and swell plenty of times but would think twice about going out in breaking waves. Thats why we have picked langebaan for our trip.The flatter the better !!
Nick

Stuey9999
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Calshot UK
Lepe UK
Hill head UK
Key haven uk
Favorite Beaches: Attitude dakhla ( Western Sahara)
Nabq bay (Egypt)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone edge 8 and 11 and 19
Ozone zephyr
Epic screamer 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby Stuey9999 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:20 pm

What size kite would anyone recommend for langabaan in January, I have 8m, 11m , 12m and 17m
I can go to 38knts on 8 m kite do in need a smaller kite or will the above be good enough ?

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:55 pm

How's the water depth for foil boarding ?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:20 am

road to Langebaan isn't any more dangerous than other roads around the Cape Town area. You should be fine.
Once upon a time on the way back to Cape Town from a long trip all the way to e bay on dirt roads (highway was closed) we stopped for a sail at main beach langebaan and of course ate at pearlys.
Driving back that night a few bottles of wind under our belts we were about to stop by the roadside to empty the ballast tanks, and considering the “safest” place to do so.
And the biggest cat we’d ever seen ran across the road right in front of us, turning its head and snarling right at us as it did.
We made it back to town without spilling a drop.
Just be careful at night!

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:42 am

Brian H wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:55 pm
How's the water depth for foil boarding ?
Deep enough at Main Beach.
Not deep enough at Shark Bay.

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:46 am

Stuey9999 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:20 pm
What size kite would anyone recommend for langabaan in January, I have 8m, 11m , 12m and 17m
I can go to 38knts on 8 m kite do in need a smaller kite or will the above be good enough ?
8 + 11 should be good enough for most days at Main Beach.

I would leave the 17 at home, bring the 8, and my favourite of the 11 or 12.

Return to “Kitesurfing”