Gear: The best
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Harness Position

Postby slim_charles » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:52 pm

dylan* wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:06 am
Beardytello wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:11 pm
Waist harness should be around your waist (convenient name)

I like to have it as tight as humanly possible to try and stop it riding up.

IDK if this is the generally accepted "correct" method or not.
I'm pretty sure this is what most people do, but at some point I started keeping it slightly looser (just a bit, still fairly tight overall) so that it's easier to move around. Basically, the harness WILL move up at some point, whether you fall, are body dragging, or just have a lot of power when the kite goes over your head at one point... whatever... and when the harness is tight, it restricts your breathing and makes it more difficult to pull back down. If you're riding with the correct posture, the harness will stay down on its own, so in the times it DOES slide up, it's super easy to just push back down. Just my 2c.
Same. If it does ride up at all i just keep the kite low, wiggle my hips and down it goes ;) Loose harness makes toeside riding/tricks more comfortable.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Depends a lot on whether you are riding hook or slider.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 am

knotwindy wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:12 pm
No it does not.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 am
knotwindy wrote:
No it does not.
Sorry, I was referring to whether to wear it loose or tight. Not the op. If you ride with a rope you can wear it really tight. If you ride with a hook, looser can be better.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:19 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 am
NorCalNomad wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 am
knotwindy wrote:
No it does not.
Sorry, I was referring to whether to wear it loose or tight. Not the op. If you ride with a rope you can wear it really tight. If you ride with a hook, looser can be better.
Only if you like bruised/ broken ribs

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:13 am

dylan* wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is what most people do, but at some point I started keeping it slightly looser (just a bit, still fairly tight overall) so that it's easier to move around. Basically, the harness WILL move up at some point, whether you fall, are body dragging, or just have a lot of power when the kite goes over your head at one point... whatever... and when the harness is tight, it restricts your breathing and makes it more difficult to pull back down. If you're riding with the correct posture, the harness will stay down on its own, so in the times it DOES slide up, it's super easy to just push back down. Just my 2c.
Might give this a go actually, you're right about the positioning though, I can feel it almost pulling down towards my hips when riding properly. Feels nice :lol:

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:31 pm

The kite should pull the harness down not up, during normal riding. If your harness has ridden up, just lean back and wiggle it back down. I ride with my harness very loose so that it doesn't constrict breathing.

BillyKP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby BillyKP » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:01 pm

The Harness position is often an overlooked problem. IMHO if your harness starts riding up even a little bit...you are compromising your efficiency significantly!
And if your harness is over your ribs, well then its just allllll bad bad bad, bar is now out of reach, can't depower, feels awful, pull is coming from the wrong spot.
Ride for awhile and then wiggle it back down every 10 or 15mins ? Get your harness down a few inches over the "crown jewels", thats where it should be, thats where it should stay.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 pm

dylan* wrote:
Beardytello wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:11 pm
Waist harness should be around your waist (convenient name)

I like to have it as tight as humanly possible to try and stop it riding up.

IDK if this is the generally accepted "correct" method or not.
Spot on !! In my early years of riding, I attempted to tighten my footstraps and my harness. With each year of experience, both loosened. The harness fit is a funny thing. My first 2 or 3 years of riding I fought to keep it as tight as it would possible. Over time (and due to borrowing friend's larger harnesses) I got really used to a looser fit and found that it not only gives you more freedom, but it gives you the opportunity to position the harness in the exact position you need. The key is to keep it tight enough so it stays below your ribs but has a little bit of play so you can bring the harness down. I have never once had any back issues or even back fatigue. The only time the harness should ride up is when the kite is at noon (right at the launch) or when you are body dragging. Then yes, the spreader bar may crawl up to your sternum but other than that (with the right technique) you should be able to keep it locked down in the perfect position supporting the lower back. Some final thoughts - I've tried the Ride Engine harnesses but they are not for me. They are excellent harnesses and work really well for many riders out there but made my back sore. I like to use a harness with the largest possible back support. My waist size is a 32 but I use either a large Mystic Worrier or a Large Ion Vertex.

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:48 am

What I'm talking about is having the harness at a lower position so your belly button is visible above the spreader bar bad, instead of being in the middle of it. Anyone tried riding like this?

Feels a lot different, less squeeze, except for the padding in the back of the harness which is not made for having the harness this low.

Return to “Kitesurfing”