Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2019 Duotone Click Bar

Forum for kitesurfers
COOP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: All Australian beaches.
Style: Freeride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2019 Duotone Click Bar

Postby COOP » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 pm

100% agree. After everything that Duotone put in to their kites and bars to make them one of the top selling brands, they absolutely over look the quality of their lines. One of the worst on the market and has been for a while now. I can't understand why Duotone hasn't fixed this issue because really it's a not a secret that they are crap.
I think it's time and long over due Duotone.

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:49 pm

I guess I'm out of the loop - this is the first I've heard of the crap lines on the Click Bar (only demo'd for one session.) Are they not the same lines on the Trust bars? I've been using Trust bars for many years and have absolutely no problem with those lines.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:57 pm

COOP wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 pm
100% agree. After everything that Duotone put in to their kites and bars to make them one of the top selling brands, they absolutely over look the quality of their lines. One of the worst on the market and has been for a while now. I can't understand why Duotone hasn't fixed this issue because really it's a not a secret that they are crap.
I think it's time and long over due Duotone.
Genuine question, what makes them crap compared to others? I don't know anything about the materials used to make them.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:21 pm

I agree that lines on click bar are inferior. They are sooo sticky.

The lines on RRD bars are so smooth and superior.

For the price of click bar, this should be corrected. IMHO

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:15 pm

I have three 2018 click bars,
I love - the bars, the click system, the safety, the PU power line, the ceramic spinner balls, the fact I never need to un-spin the power lines as they automatically un-spin themselves, and the rope slider loop is top drawer quality.

But! the flipping lines are not up to the quality of all the aforementioned, what a let down,
they fray quickly where the whipping finishes on each 2mtr extension, which results in a snapped line if not seen in time.

I am going to keep the bars as they are absolutely brilliant for the foil, as you do de-power a lot after the first up and away. and throughout a good long session you may be clicking quite a lot, and on a foil I am looping the kite all the time so the centre line 100% untwisting feature is utterly brilliant.
But the 24mtr lines are going to be replaced.
With Just 24mtrs straight, without the north offering of 22mtr with 2mtr extensions, which are the first bits to fail.
The question I have not got the answer for as yet is- what lines are best for my replacements,
I am not even sure yet if all 4 lines up from the leaders are the same length, the power lines look shorter than the steering lines.
Dam annoyed as I am now using my 3rd bar as the other 2 bars are sitting in my garage with dodgy looking frayed extension lines.
I know the fraying is not just cosmetic as Wayne snapped his 2018 line (at the whipping end point on the 2mtr extensions) whilst sailing his foil 2 weeks ago resulting in 2 rescue boats being called out to go to his aid, luckily he was not too far from shore.
Snapping a line on a foil? that's bad news as you never really strain the lines a lot on a foil!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:45 pm

You have the patience of an angel, I would have long ago walked away. ~ £2000 of bars with unsafe lines? Good grief.

Get an Ocean Rodeo Stick shift bar and give it a good work out. FFS.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:06 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:45 pm
You have the patience of an angel, I would have long ago walked away. ~ £2000 of bars with unsafe lines? Good grief.

I bought the 3 click bars to safeguard my kit lifespan, as I was retiring and did not want to replace gear when my income was limited to pension funds,
I reckoned 3 bars would last around 8-10 years by swapping around bar spares and bits and bobs.
but this experience has stunned me, £1500 quids worth of bars, 12 months in and I am on my last bar as of last week, yes I do use my foil most days of the week-being retired and needing very little wind.
Foil sailing is very gentle on the bar lines, and the times I have used my TTip in the last year has been maybe for 10 days.
blimey! :angryfire:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Foil wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:06 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:45 pm

I bought the 3 click bars to safeguard my kit lifespan, as I was retiring and did not want to replace gear when my income was limited to pension funds,
I reckoned 3 bars would last around 8-10 years by swapping around bar spares and bits and bobs.
but this experience has stunned me, £1500 quids worth of bars, 12 months in and I am on my last bar as of last week, yes I do use my foil most days of the week-being retired and needing very little wind.
Foil sailing is very gentle on the bar lines, and the times I have used my TTip in the last year has been maybe for 10 days.
blimey! :angryfire:

I'm also retired and I do understand. If it were me I would be seeking a full refund and if that was not forthcoming I would seek redress in the Small Claims Court (I have on two occasions done this with other goods and services). If there is a one year warranty period this does not limit claims for faulty goods.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/d ... dex_en.htm
EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised.
Those goods are faulty. Get your money back and walk away.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:49 pm

Apart from the fast fraying lines the click bar has some wear points on the thin lines inside the bar that are only visible when you unscrew the barends.

Also check the loaded red flagout line that runs through the depower line and chickenloop that wears inside the chickenloop.

The click mechanism works very nice, but I like to have all my lines nicely visible for inspection instead of hidden behind a part you need to unscrew.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:58 am

Foil wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:06 pm
I went the other way. I used to have a bar per kite, and then bought low price but decent quality bars. Now I use a single high quality (Cabrinha) bar for all my kites. I bought it on sale and it was only moderately more expensive than the cheap ones, but very much nicer.

The intention is to buy a new bar every year or two so I am always using newish bar and lines. The bar is the user interface and life is too short to put up with a crap kiting experience. The older bars can be reconfigured for different line lengths or spares or whatever.

Plastic coated centre lines, self rotating front lines, smooth depower, easy line storage are all essential parts of the kiting experience, especially when you're retired and kite every day.

I want to know how the 2019 Click bar is different to the 2018 model. I understand that the 2018 model had some wear problems.

Just as an aside, it seems strange the North brought out the Click bar at all. They're known for making good gear, but they're also known for being ultra-conservative in adopting new designs. They fought for years against one-pump systems, persisted with 5 lines, and resisted using plastic coated depower lines. All this when other brands did these things very successfully 10-15 years ago. Now they have one of the most advanced and possibly complicated bar systems on the market.

My mate is using the OR Shift bar and he is very happy with that. It looks easy to change lines and bits and pieces. It's on my radar for the next bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”