Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Re: Core kites and kiteboarding industry sales this year

Postby CaptainCore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Ha that Pinknorthpride has a lot to answer for eh Toby? That article in Iksurf 70 and all the actual corporate businesses must have been running round like headless chickens that news breaking on here. :lol:

Interesting article even if written by Boards & More's PR officer. :lol:

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rynhardt » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:25 pm
I also wonder about the sales numbers mentioned.
25-35 k is a big span...if they knew numbers it wouldn’t have that span...so it is just an estimation.

The GKA should have better numbers, since they have the biggest brands organized and they for sure know precisely how many kites they sold.
The same publication reports "In 2017 the Global Kitesports Association recorded sales figures from the members of around 100,000 kites. Not every brand is a member, so if you account for that then the best estimate of total kite sales for 2017 was approximately 140,000 to 150,000."

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:25 pm
I also wonder about the sales numbers mentioned.
25-35 k is a big span...if they knew numbers it wouldn’t have that span...so it is just an estimation.

The GKA should have better numbers, since they have the biggest brands organized and they for sure know precisely how many kites they sold.
If the GKA do know the exact numbers of kites sold by manufacturer you can be sure that they will be prevented by non disclosure agreements from publishing that information.

coupdevill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Hood River, Hatteras, SPI
Style: Chaotic
Gear: Slingshot & Ride Engine
Has thanked: 0

Postby coupdevill » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:36 am
a99 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm
Shri Lanka people in factories making kites for 5 usd for whole working day, a kite costs 1500 usd and still kite brands no making profits ? What is going with the world indead ?
did you ever run a kite brand?

Go ahead, you will become a millionaire over night!

I had a board brand in 2002-2005. Never got paid the work we put into it.
Prototypes, teamriders, warranties, production, marketing etc money goes away very quick.

So I am very happy if kite brands make money...this will guarantee development and new products every year.

Imagine which kites you would ride if no one made profit? Still two line kites with no QR.

I would love to have a yacht and cruise the Caribbean...but I don't have the money, but I don't complain. I am happy with what I have and not complain that the yacht companies make a lot of profit...

Life is tuff...just enjoy what you have!
How do you make a small fortune in kiteboarding, start with a large one :lol:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Poor Core... just barely surviving :'(

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Matteo v

What do you do? How do you make your living?

I only ask as I want to florensicaly discect using wildly inaccurate figures how much you actually benifit or what kind of added value you pass on.

You don’t mind sharing with the group do you?

Back at university I remember a lecture from a guest speaker saying how much people resented paying for their leisure time,

Their time off or leisure time was precious and was their “free” time. The concept of having to pay someone so that they could enjoy their leisure time was alien to them and was done with ill will.

Yet the same people would pay for services, skilled labour, legal advice, soft ware and technology etc where margins were and still are scandalous without a blink of an eye.

That was 20 years ago, clearly that phenomen hasn’t gone away

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Faxie wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:40 pm
The sarcasm In The post Indecates you feel that they should be capable of literally barely surviving.

Can you explain why you feel like that?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

james wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 pm
Faxie wrote:
The sarcasm In The post Indecates you feel that they should be capable of literally barely surviving.

Capcore posts sound like that. Maybe they should raise the prices a bit more then. Passion, you know.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Faxie wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm
james wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 pm
Faxie wrote:

Capcore posts sound like that. Maybe they should raise the prices a bit more then. Passion, you know.
Cap Core got quoted out of context from another thread, we're doing OK, we just stalled in August because of the hot windless weather, this all originated in the climate change denier and Trump voters thread. We're still up on last year and that was exactly double the previous, but under no illusion that it's because the business as a whole is growing, we're simply taking market share.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:29 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:15 pm
Cap Core got quoted out of context from another thread, we're doing OK, we just stalled in August because of the hot windless weather, this all originated in the climate change denier and Trump voters thread. We're still up on last year and that was exactly double the previous, but under no illusion that it's because the business as a whole is growing, we're simply taking market share.
1. Refering to yourself in the 3rd person???? Is COREporate doing damage control and writing some of these posts for you?

2. I quoted your entire post from another thread as I am the OP on this thread. HOW IS A FULL QUOTE POSSIBLY TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT??????

CaptainCore wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:04 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only thing likely to attract a 100% mark up in your outfit is your boots and I bet everyone in the supply chain fell about as you walked out the door, typical mark up 1.43 maybe 1.5 at most, that's after duty and shipping, then here in europe another 1.2 goes on, so your 200, say landed it's 240, then 1.43 gives 343.2 call it 350 because we're all greedy bastards, that gets say 1.5 for the retailer = 517.5 so 520 because they're greedy bastards as well, then the government wants their cut which gives 624. nowhere near 1800 or whatever BS you were bandying about, so reverse engineer that equation will give you closer to the cost, because that's what's in the distribution chain on hardware items, now clothing, that's another story, it's double up all the way which is why the clothing companys always had all the money and us purveyors of hardware scratch around.

There's an old saying in the business about dealing with the core (lowercase c) elements of the business i.e. mom and pop beach or action hardware stores, it went 'Core is Poor.'

We do it for the lifestyle and the people we meet and deal with, nobody bar nobody, gets rich selling hardware yet nobody bitches about the companys that do make the money like clothing and accessory brands and are they ripping the arse out of the harness market price wise?

So, as to the brand holder a lot depends on how much a part of their financing comes from the manufacturer how much security is lodged and what the payment terms are and they vary dramatically depending on the net worth of the business and the investors, but there are no double ups that I've come across in hardware sector, why they are all veritable philanthropists. :lol:

CaptainCore wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:04 pm

We do it for the lifestyle and the people we meet and deal with, nobody bar nobody, gets rich selling hardware yet nobody bitches about the companys that do make the money like clothing and accessory brands and are they ripping the arse out of the harness market price wise?

Could not find a "smile" to convey my thoughts on this................ but you do not strike me as a people person. Do you mean, "We do it for the............people we meet and deal with", in a different way?

Return to “Kitesurfing”