Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby Pemba » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 am

marlboroughman wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:36 am
Pemba wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:30 am

Is that really your answer, you can't do any better than that ? You were born with a bullshit detector ? Although you're pretty rude I have tried to take you seriously and educate myself in the process, but I have to agree with others, if this is the level of your argument, then you're irrelevant, maybe just funny. You were born with a bullshit detector... Go on, another article or maybe better yet, a graph..
That's why they call me Marl and you are Pemba..... :rollgrin:
Sure.. :rollgrin:

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:18 am
Coal mining looks like child's play compared to Lithium, Cobalt, Nickel, graphite mining.
Clearly you have no clue! The broad scope of coal mining worldwide to continually feed every coal fired power plant very, very easily envelops all these types of mines you mention many many many times over.
Example-

Total WORLDWIDE Lithium production in 1 year:
43,000 tons

Coal burned in the USA ALONE in 1 year:
1.1 BILLION TONS

And just in case you’re actually interested (you're not) Thats -
7 BILLION TONS OF COAL BURNED WORLDWIDE EACH YEAR

Yeah. Try and tell me how bad rare materials mining is again Marl. Go on. Seriously go ahead.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:29 pm

http://www.wvpublic.org/post/study-show ... g#stream/0

One study available here for you to scrutinize.
This study is limited to Appalachia, mainly West Virginia.

The amount of land disturbed per ton of coal extracted in appalachia has tripled since 1985.
3x more mountaintop removal.

NOTE the satellite - gif overlay image detailing the increasing land destruction ongoing in West Virginia alone.

Do not buy into the industry hype. They have the resources, the motivation, and the political influence to make you think its all good fun.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:01 am

Greenturtle wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 pm

43,000 tons

1.1 BILLION TONS

Yeah. Try and tell me how bad rare materials mining is again Marl. Go on. Seriously go ahead.
Imagine your dream came through and all cars were electric and houses would have batteries too, like they tried in Germany. Now, that would be environmental catastrophe but it will not happen because there is not enough lithium on this planet, so snap out of it.

I am a bit sentimental about coal because my grandparents survived the war thanks to it. The whole country had infrastructure completely destroyed yet every house had a coal furnace and a stove and people survived without any help from the non existent state for five years. One horse wagon of coal in the basement that's all you needed to survive the winter. When I was a kid my grandparents still used coal because they were used to it. I remember that even the food prepared on a coal stove tasted better like it was massaged into perfection by slow and steady burning coal. So you can't make me hate coal. I know this new generation doesn't get any of this, maybe except the survivalist types. Maybe when we go full renewables utopia and power goes off and you start burning furniture to stay warm (happened in England) maybe then you gonna go, hm is there something better to burn before I destroy my lazy boy.

Anyways enough nostalgia, coal is getting replaced by gas, making US a leader in reducing emissions by pure market forces, sounds like a winner to me.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:21 am

Fake Air Pollution scientists fired from EPA. Thank you for your service. :rollgrin:

:clap:

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:49 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:01 am
Greenturtle wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 pm

43,000 tons

1.1 BILLION TONS

Imagine your dream came through and all cars were electric and houses would have batteries too, like they tried in Germany. Now, that would be environmental catastrophe but it will not happen because there is not enough lithium on this planet, so snap out of it.

I am a bit sentimental about coal because my grandparents survived the war thanks to it. The whole country had infrastructure completely destroyed yet every house had a coal furnace and a stove and people survived without any help from the non existent state for five years. One horse wagon of coal in the basement that's all you needed to survive the winter. When I was a kid my grandparents still used coal because they were used to it. I remember that even the food prepared on a coal stove tasted better like it was massaged into perfection by slow and steady burning coal. So you can't make me hate coal. I know this new generation doesn't get any of this, maybe except the survivalist types. Maybe when we go full renewables utopia and power goes off and you start burning furniture to stay warm (happened in England) maybe then you gonna go, hm is there something better to burn before I destroy my lazy boy.

Anyways enough nostalgia, coal is getting replaced by gas, making US a leader in reducing emissions by pure market forces, sounds like a winner to me.
I get that, I really do. I grew up in a home that burned 8 cords of firewood every winter, and there is nothing like it. Many people here still had coal stoves, since the less pure coal / tailings was (and still is) laying around discarded in piles and you could literally just back your truck up to it and load up.

My coal reduction dream does not necessarily use batteries at all. Im sure you’re familiar with solar/wind systems that feed directly into the grid with no batteries. The coal / gas plants stay, but are supplemented heavily by the renewables. Batteries are eliminated from the equation, we keep all the modern conveniences, and burn / mine a fraction of the currently insane volume of coal.
I am not a complete fossil fuel hating extremist, but a reductionist.

As for off grid locations my experience is this:
I have an off the grid cabin with a solar system that produces a surprising amount of power given the investment, and uses good old fashioned lead acid batteries, which have been happily chugging along for 10 years or so. When they die they will get recycled easily and economically.
I was skeptical at first but its pretty awesome and the longevity of the system is solid. The output from the panels themselves has, so far, not changed.

I too am nostalgic, but in my case it is for the trout streams I fished as a kid for a special and healthy meal that are now acidic and dead (as if there weren’t enough dead streams already), for public state owned lands I used to hunt deer and grouse on that now are covered in new roads to drilling pads with limited or no public access. At least the roads to the wind farms are generally open and dont have heavy truck traffic on them as the gas pads do.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm

slim_charles wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:58 pm
hmmm.... think you need to substantially up your game to top the pics :lol:

... they were f**king priceless!!!
Sweet! Thanks!

How about you post some of your pics from you riding a rail?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm

wedge wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:45 pm
Matteo V wrote: So a while ago, the US implemented some mandates for going "all fluorescent" light bulbs. Florescents are great at saving energy and reducing carbon emissions - no question. The problem is that they all contain mercury. And when they do reach the end of their lifespan, they are disposed of.

Typically those used up lamps are thrown into dumpsters. They break as they fall in or when they are "compacted" by the rubbish truck. Upon breaking, they release the mercury into the dumpster, or into the trash truck. The dumpster then gets rained on and eventually leaks the mercury onto the ground since most dumpsters are not watertight. If the mercury makes it into the trash truck, then the mercury slowly leaks out along it's route. Since all roads have runoff drainage next to them, the mercury leaking onto the roadway has a fast track into nearby streams and lakes. And this problem gets no press. I personally would like to see a $10,000 fine for businesses and $1,000 fine for individuals not properly disposing of florescents.

If you know of any improper disposal of fluorescent lamps, step in and do something. Push your representatives for mandated recycling. And always "think through" your good environmental intentions. You may be doing in your own recreational waters if you just jump on some "band wagon environmental issue".
That's disingenuous Matteo. Or in Trump-speak, Fake News. The mandate was to "phase out incandescent bulbs" in favor of more energy efficient lighting options. Fluorescent lights suck. Nobody likes the garish light they produce. The markets responded and created more energy efficient incandescent bulbs and pushed LED technology. Oh and reduced mercury in fluorescent bulbs as well. Go into any Home Depot and you'll see an array of choices.

So in this case regulations seems to have worked. Look at all the new energy (and money) saving products and choices. Hardly a "band wagon environmental issue" as you describe it.

ps - it wasn't just the U.S. It was governments around the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out ... ight_bulbs

pss - Like you, I support fines for improper disposal of any hazardous material. We've only got one earth. Best take good care of it while we can.
wedge wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:45 pm
That's disingenuous Matteo. Or in Trump-speak, Fake News.
So this did not happen? And it is not happening right now??? I have a very much genuine concern for the path environmental legislation sent us down, that has (and is) undebatably resulting in the contamination of the environment. And that contamination was preventable if the public would have just been made aware of the environmental damage that is produced by fluorescent lamps being thrown out with the trash. Regardless of the good intentions of the mandates, and hopefully someday - good results, these mandates have already resulted in contamination of our land and water with a pollutant we cannot hope to ever remove. So I certainly do have a GENUINE concern for that mistake - a mistake "environmentalists" seem to be constantly repeating. And I seem to detect you have a strong "ends justifies the means" mentality. I would urge strong caution when that is applied to something where it is impossible to reverse the damage caused while pursuing the "means".

As to your use of the word "disingenuous" -
Attachments
InigoMontoya.jpg
InigoMontoya.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Nice pic but I believe the word with it was inconceivable
Perfect for this post...

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:05 am

A little earlier every year it seems....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -cold.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”