Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Re: Concept Air Smart Wave 6.5 & 4.5 & 3 and now 8.5

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks Nem0.
I'm guessing the yellow wave in the post above mine has the deflate vent open as well.
Found some ozone videos as well that were helpful.
Also going to grab a foil bar with the brake handle on it.
Tony

stefFZ
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surfing
Gear: Concept Air Waves & Pulsions. Still a couple of Flysurfers P4.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby stefFZ » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:31 am

I set it up for downwind launch and used my 55cm LF Mission bar with 20m lines.
Maybe 60cm will be more appropriate. With 50cm is definetely too short according to Stef Goffinet who also ordered one.
I
** If I'm launching on grass, can I use small sandbags to hold the trailing edge? Can I do an assisted launch at 45deg with something on the tip?
Yes you can use a sand bag or anything that will not be aggressive with the kite (I used an old tire once for instance). You fold the upwing tip and put the sand bag on it and do a 45° launch as you would do with sand directly on the tip. With experience, self launching, including in (very) strong wind is safe (I would say safer than with an assistant as you have a total control).

Self landing was a little more of an issue, mostly I think because of my lack of foil experience.
I mainly use FS peak bars on my waves. What I like are the black plastic ball that are on the pre-lines. There are high enought to fully backstall the kite while piloting it when you go down. You can go to one side of the wind window, get the kite low and then backstall it on the ground, trailing edge on the ground. You keep the back lines in your hands so that it does not fly away and you can go up the lines to take the kite. Don't be slow as the kite may still be able to fly because of its design. Learn this in little wind, you will get more confident over time.

I hope you'll enjoy it .... and yes drift is big, even wave LEI kites cannot do that (for the same size/power).

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Appletree Jazz

Postby Tony » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:10 am

Hi Stef,

I have a 55cm Ozone Contact Foil bar arriving tomorrow, the 55cm bar I had seemed fine. It may be that 60cm is slightly better but I thought 55cm might be better all around, especially if I end up with a smaller size, like the 4.5.
You keep the back lines in your hands so that it does not fly away and you can go up the lines to take the kite.
I'm not quite clear on this, can you explain further? Do you mean go to the kite pulling the back lines hand over hand as you walk, leaving the bar on the beach?

Do you leave your lines attached when packing up? Do you secure the bridle lines to the trailing edge somehow? Need to inspect the kite a bit more I guess.

This weekend looks good for wind, hopefully not too strong for the 8.5. Hoping to get on the water.

Thanks!!
Tony

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:04 am

I am not totally clear on what Stef was proposing. I do not have the 8.5 but I have the 4.5. I find it does not want to stay down once I land it. I also take it to the side of the wind window and back stall it with the rear lines. If it is not too powered up I just wind the back lines on the bar a few times so that it can't fly and then wind all the lines on the bar up to the kite. Most of the time I am landing it in the water. If the kite is really powered up after back stalling it with the rear lines at the edge of the wind window I wind in one of the front lines on the bar so the kite flags out sideways on that line. Once I have a few winds of the frontline then I wind all the lines on the bar until I reach the kite. When putting the kite away I fold the kite in half with the tips together and roll the bar up in the kite. I leave my lines attached all the time.

stefFZ
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surfing
Gear: Concept Air Waves & Pulsions. Still a couple of Flysurfers P4.

Postby stefFZ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:19 am

Hi Tony, once the kite is on land, sitting on its back quietly enough (which usually means that it is on the ground in the middle of the wind window, fully downwind) , you detach from the CL and let the bar on the sand. You go quickly to the kite with the back lines in your hands. It is a little bit more difficult than other foil kites because of the design, it doesn't like to seat too much with the back lines pulled in once on the ground. If you feel that the kite wants to launch again and you're not quite at it, you can let go one of the two lines (this is also what you can do when you arrive at the kite if it is windy). The kite may turn around that line but without too much pressure. With experience, you will always find a way to land it. If you don't feel safe (this is always good to listen to this feeling), do as gl suggests, Land it while on the water (you can put it on the water and even pull the safety).

I hope it helps!

Stef
Last edited by stefFZ on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Appletree Jazz

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi Stef,
Thanks for the clarification. This weekend I should have an assist when landing but you never know. I'll be riding in the sound with side on and the launch/landing is tight. Hoping to get out on the 8.5 before it builds too much. Will hopefully post some pics and/or videos after the weekend.
Tony

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 pm

KBH today using my new Wave 6.5

Conditions Large Lake 12 - 18 kts small chop
Wave6.5Oct1918.jpg

Ride: Jellyfish Custom Pocketboard
Takuma Concept V 100
72 kg
Infinty 50 cm bar 21 m lines

Default settings as per Ben
Wave6.5Oct1918.jpg

Kite had a constant light pull throughout the wind window.
Medium bar pressure
No surging during gusts
Sat slightly forward in the window when going up wind
Kite floated nicely during downwind runs but no big waves to really determine full potential.
I had a water assisted launch and land so cannot comment on self launch/land

Compared to my Pulsion LW12 m it absorbed the gusts better.

For light wind conditions my preference is the Pulsion but for gusty, waves, windy conditions the Wave has a greater wind range.

This kite could be called EASY instead of Wave based on it's flying characteristics.
I will have a chance in November and January to try it with a surfboard and larger waves.
For anyone looking for a kite to use with a large foil it should be on their list.
Attachments
Wave6.5AOct1918.jpg
Wave6.5AOct1918.jpg (112.65 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Got my first foil kite (8.5 wave) for foiling and downwind trips; such a small package and only 1.4kg

Looks so good

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:21 pm

Pic

jannik
Medium Poster