Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First travel trip with kitegear

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First travel trip with kitegear

Postby beebad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:19 am

I am going to put duct tape over the “golf” verbiage on the ion bag. I keep thinking if they see golf, they will want to see clubs...i am just going to throw the bag on the scales and say its a bag with wheels.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:55 am

beebad wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:19 am
I am going to put duct tape over the “golf” verbiage on the ion bag. I keep thinking if they see golf, they will want to see clubs...i am just going to throw the bag on the scales and say its a bag with wheels.
Just put one golf club in it 😂

beebad
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:59 am

Yeah, last year i brought clubs to San Diego, and had a few other things in my actual golf club bag for golf clubs and i got shit from the airline about putting extra stuff in there. So annoying...

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:52 am

It is pointless...62 inches is (LxWxH). They are nice enough to allow golf clubs to fly free but you had better have golf clubs in there. I was going to be a wiseguy and tape/hide the “Golf” logos on the kiteboard bag with duct tape but cant get around the LxHxW.

I can just take my chances and say i have golf clubs if they ask or just not sweat it and bring an extra $150, a good attitude and hope for the best.

If I wasnt bringing my twintip i could fit everything in my XL Northface bags.

schappe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Illinois Beach State Park
Waukegan Beach
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park
Bahia Honda Beach State Park
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Darkside
Has thanked: 0

Postby schappe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm

The curbside check-in is usually much less picky than the airline counter--they sometime don't even bother to weight it, let alone question the "golf" label. Especially if they see the $$ tip in your hand.

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:47 am

I made arrangements to rent a twin tip when I get there. All my kiting gear, 4 kites, 2 bars, helmet, wetsuit, impact vest, pump, booties, gloves split between 2 bags each weigh 25 pounds!!! All I need are some clothes, MBP, IPAD, GPH6 an few things and I am done...!!!! I still think I will put my wetsuit in my carryon .....renting a twintip makes so much sense, especially if you can fly Southwest where all luggage is free. Dont have to futz around with airline charges, now, golfclubs I will pay extra for.....but again, on SOUthwest, it is free!!!

Update: i put everything in 2 northface basecamp xxl duffles. One weighed 35 the other 39, on the way back they weighed 42 and 44= water weight. I had a small carryon that i bought at costco. The trip was fabulous. I rented a twin tip when i got there and didnt have a care in the world. I dont have a reason to ever futz with bringing my own boards when i can rent and fly southwest.

cheers
Last edited by beebad on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:00 am

It's about $100 for an oversized or -weight bag, and if you call up early they won't give you shit about it at check in. And if you ask (and get confirmation) you can usually designate your check in luggage allowance as "sports gear" so you get the extra length.

I usually travel with two kite bags 142 and 145 boards) and a carry-on with the clothes in. That way, I keep the weight down cos that's the hassle when you take more than one board...

Return to “Travel”