kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Got my hands on the Quark!

Postby kitenight11 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 am

Hi,

to those who already have a quark: could you post more sample clips and give more of your impressions?
And... is the usb port the only possibility where water can come in and destroy the quark?

Thanks

fedecossu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Porto Botte, Italy
Style: Freeride / Freestyle / Wave
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby fedecossu » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:29 am

Hi guys, another unhappy Quark owner here. :(

I've waited 4 months for mine, much longer than the initial scheduled delivery. Noir Matter kept on rescheduling the shipping date so many times that I even changed residence in the meanwhile! So I had to pay both the sales tax in the state where I was residing (Hawaii) and the VAT + customs in the country where I moved to (Italy).
By the way, I'm not sure if charging the sales tax was legal at all at the time of the order (May 2018) since Noir Matter headquarters were in California and not in Hawaii ...

When I finally received it, I used it one time with the kite, one time with the SUP and to make a couple of timelapses on a table. And that was it, because a few days later the Quark stopped working! It would not turn on, not even the led light.

But first let me make a quick review about it before it stopped working.

Test of the timelapse mode
The timelapse mode did not work very well. The rotation speed did not correspond exactly to the chosen settings. Basically you have to set the starting and ending position and the total duration (10 or 30 minutes) and the Quark should rotate with the required speed accordingly. However in many occasions the Quark was randomly changing the rotation speed or it completely stopped rotating to start moving again minutes later.
Video of the test

Test with the kite
The test was during a light wind day and with a Beast Mount. The Quark seems to react well to low frequency vibrations but it is very shaky with high frequency vibrations. Unfortunately, due to the light wind, I was underpowered and the lines tension was not optimal. I believe that with stronger wind and more tension in the lines, the mount would be more stable in the first place and the Quark would suffer less accordingly. Despite this, the Quark works very well in the transitions and to keep the horizon level, as rogue_kiteboarder already mentioned. For the record, I never crashed the kite and the Quark never hit the water.
Video of the test

Test with the SUP
The test was during a relatively calm day, just paddling around, not riding waves. The Quark was mounted on the nose of the SUP. I was really happy with the stabilization that you can achieve on a SUP and I could not wait to test it while riding waves (which never occurred unfortunately). The Quark did receive water splashes as I was cruising around but it was never submerged. I was not worried about the splashes as it is designed to be waterproof within the limits written in the maintenance instructions (those posted by gmb13). Sadly, I now believe however that those simple water splashes ruined the Quark (see later).
The test was good except for a slight malfunction while I was carrying the SUP out of the water: after I switched the Quark off, it randomly turned itself on a couple of times without pressing the power button.
After the session I rinsed the Quark with fresh water and I dried it before storing it in a drawer.
Video of the test (half of it is a timelapse)

And now it comes the painful part. Ten days after the SUP session I took the Quark out of my drawer and it would not turn on. I tought the battery was low, so I charged it for an hour, but it would not turn on either. Then I kept charging it for a few more hours but nothing was happening. Even the charging led indicator would not appear. I also tried with another cable and supply source without success. So I decided to contact Noir Matter explaining what happened. After a quick email exchange they asked to send the Quark back so they could check it and repair it if there was a manufacturing issue. So I shipped the Quark (more money flying out of my pockets) hoping for a quick fix or for a replacement but then I received this email:
We have check your Quark today and found out that it was plenty of water on the inside, it might have been submerged or exposed to high pressure jets, maybe waves ? did you crash your kite ?
At this time we are not able to fix it as there is too much to be changed.
The best option would be to order a new one.
We could offer you a 50% discount as your are an existing customer.
Please use the discount code : (I cannot report the code here)
Let us know if you have any questions,
Best
--
Support @ NoirMatter
I promptly explained again that I used the Quark according to their specifications. The only time it came into contact with water was with simple water splashes. The product was clearly defective if it let water inside in that way. I had no intention to buy another one, even at 50% discount, because it was not my fault. Then I concluded writing that either they solve the problem or that I will file a complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs. This was their answer:
After checking you product had definitely taken water, as said it can get wet but it seems that it has been used outside of its rating capabilities.
We won’t be able to replace it, as said the only solution is to order a new one with the discount we are offering you,
Best
--
Support @ NoirMatter
I have to say that I am extremely irritated now and that I will go on with the official complaint. It seems that this company does not take customers seriously. It keeps on blaming the customers for improper use and never takes into account the possibility of a defect in their product. What's the warranty for at this point? It's completely useless. They should better write "buy at your own risk".
Not to mention the unfair practice of immediately charging the customer the full amount at the time of the order (including sales tax no matter where you live), and shipping the product only months later with the excuse that "it is a new product, it requires time to make".

I hope your Quarks are working well and that mine was only a rare unlucky exception, because it really sucked to pay all that money for such a short lifetime.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 am

I'm pretty happy with my first results with quark. using a gopro7 with 2.7 k 60 fps so that takes care off the shake. I had it a bit tilted on power up so not perfectly level, but at least holds the initial orientation well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0f344Llpfk
Last edited by ptraykovski on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 am

Here is REVL footage for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBDYOKRPTBk

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks for posting the footage. The quark looks like it produces really nicely stabilised footage. Really suits the wave riding footage you were capturing there!

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:21 pm

I was disappointed at first with mine because it would vibrate a lot in my line mount. But I finally figured out that it only vibrates when it is sitting crooked in the lines. Put the kite mount on while you have your chicken loop tied down to something and put some tension on the lines to get it just right, or mark the lines so you can put the line mount on perfectly straight, and no vibration. I've gotten some great results since I figured that out.

Here is the shaking I mentioned:

SparD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 pm

I was an early backer and got my quark a few months ago. Didn't try it though until this weekend.

There's some very good, when it works the footage is really great. Check this out :

http://www.vimeo.com/296513950

But there's also some bad, sometimes it just loses the horizon and you have to go back to shore to ask someone to turn it off and on. It also vibrates sometimes. Check this here :

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:54 am

SparD wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 pm
But there's also some bad, sometimes it just loses the horizon and you have to go back to shore to ask someone to turn it off and on. It also vibrates sometimes.
First sights of water inside? At least my case began from such symptoms.
fedecossu wrote:I have to say that I am extremely irritated now and that I will go on with the official complaint. It seems that this company does not take customers seriously. It keeps on blaming the customers for improper use and never takes into account the possibility of a defect in their product. What's the warranty for at this point? It's completely useless. They should better write "buy at your own risk".
Not to mention the unfair practice of immediately charging the customer the full amount at the time of the order (including sales tax no matter where you live), and shipping the product only months later with the excuse that "it is a new product, it requires time to make".

I hope your Quarks are working well and that mine was only a rare unlucky exception, because it really sucked to pay all that money for such a short lifetime.
Fully agree.
I afraid that the manufacturer would face a bankruptcy trying to replace it with a new product.
They are not fair towards their customers who loyally waited long months for a delivery.
Their commercial strongly suggested that the quark is a product made by kitesurfers for kitesurfers what IMO is not true.
One sentence of warning in their commercial and in the manual stating that is not fully waterproof would avoid such disappointment.
I would just wait for Quark2 or 3.
Let's believe they are going to survive and develop a 100% waterproof gimbal and surprisingly provide it to all customers who had such issue.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:11 am

One more. I really do not like to write above. It looks like whinging.
I do not feel comfortable to go public about such simple issues.

Quark team, I know you are reading it, I was one of the first who supported you.
You know under your skin that you are wrong towards guys having this issue.
There will be more of them.
I would appreciate if you figure out how to get out this issue saving yourself some face.
At least do not blame guys like fedecossu. He is right and you are wrong. This is a state of facts.

fedecossu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Porto Botte, Italy
Style: Freeride / Freestyle / Wave
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby fedecossu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:21 am

BraCuru wrote: At least do not blame guys like fedecossu. He is right and you are wrong. This is a state of facts.
Thanks for the support BraCuru and sorry for your Quark.

Return to “Kitesurfing”