A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Tom Tom
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses T38 vs T22

Postby Tom Tom » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Tom Tom wrote:
    Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 am
    Thanks for excellent input. Taking into consideration I am just getting started and still have to master flying gibes, I believe the T38/633 will be a good complement to the T40/550 that I ride today.

Only thing I am pondering at the moment is rocker of the T38. Heard tons of good stuff (specifically concerning rocker) about the Groove Skateboard. The T38 (actually custom by Newind) is a very different animal, that also seems to work really well :-/

So now just to decide T38 or Skate?....

Foil
    Very Frequent Poster
    Kiting since: 2000
    Weight: 91kg
    Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
    and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
    Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
    lake Como (Italy) El Medano
    Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
    Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
    Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
    kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
    Kraken fuse 703k
    Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
    Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
    (modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
    quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:18 pm

Tom Tom wrote:
    Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:22 pm
      Tom Tom wrote:
      Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 am
      Thanks for excellent input. Taking into consideration I am just getting started and still have to master flying gibes, I believe the T38/633 will be a good complement to the T40/550 that I ride today.

Only thing I am pondering at the moment is rocker of the T38. Heard tons of good stuff (specifically concerning rocker) about the Groove Skateboard. The T38 (actually custom by Newind) is a very different animal, that also seems to work really well :-/

So now just to decide T38 or Skate?....
      I have had both,
      both great boards, feel very similar, but one looks amazing and gets people shouting WOW! when they see it.
      You may have a problem getting hold of a T38 now, I was informed mine was in the last batch of 8 boards and that was 3 weeks ago.
      but, I have heard that Groove are making a full carbon skate, which may have the looks of the T38.

Tom Tom
      Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 am

Hehe.. looks are important.

No big win up on the rocker of the Skate? I would like to get a T38 based on the overall impression I have, but am concerned that the Skate's rocker would be a good thing to have.

Having gone between the T38 (129cm) and T22 (106cm) I also feel the Skate of 120cm would be a nice compromise.

How is the Skate in construction and durability? Lots of talk of the T38 being sensitive, but also read somewhere that the Skate scratched easilly as well?!

Foil
      Very Frequent Poster
      Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
      Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
      Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Tom Tom wrote:
      Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 am

No big win up on the rocker of the Skate? I would like to get a T38 based on the overall impression I have, but am concerned that the Skate's rocker would be a good thing to have.

Having gone between the T38 (129cm) and T22 (106cm) I also feel the Skate of 120cm would be a nice compromise.

How is the Skate in construction and durability? Lots of talk of the T38 being sensitive, but also read somewhere that the Skate scratched easilly as well?!
      The nose scoop is not an issue on either, and one is no better or worse than the other, both feel exactly the same-perfect!

The skate does scratch up far too easily, but a thin covering of gorilla soft black tape all along the edges makes it look like new, it really annoyed me just how easily the top paint layer scratched off to reveal the white undercoat, maybe a white skate board would not be as bad, if they made one!

If you do get one avoid the skate board bag with the black lining as it bleeds the dye onto the board which will not come off, I am a lot annoyed at groove for not fixing this for me, not even replying to my emails, I know this was an issue as groove emailed two people who live near me who had the same board bag and offered a new bag, which to this day, they did not do, and that was 4-5 months back, I just cut the black liner away as the white foam padding is sewn into the top and base cover.
      if groove make a full carbon Skate this scratching problem would not be a big issue, as it is, it is a big problem if you like your board not looking very secondhand within a few weeks.
      but both great boards, but one looks shockingly fantastic.

TomW
      Very Frequent Poster
      Kiting since: 2001
      Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
      Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
      Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
      Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
      Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
      Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:27 pm

Tom Tom,
      For the 633 only , and keeping the T40, I'd get the 106 cm T22. This is based on me using my 120cm for 40 hrs on 633 wing.
      This is because I think 129cm is a bit long, and how big difference in agility 15cm can be.

wvickers
      Rare Poster
      Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Montauk, MIchigan
      Favorite Beaches: Depends on the conditions
      I love all beaches that aren't polluted, especially when there is either wind or waves
      Gear: Naish, Ozone, Slingshot, Moses, Fanatic but bought, sold and tried many others
      TT, foils, and surfboard
      Old windsurfers and a wingy foil
      Has thanked: 0

Postby wvickers » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:56 am

I only have the T38 Haven't seen or tried the T22 yet.
      Otherwise have different sized Dwarfcraft and Hypermiler.

T38 is a sweet looking board and dreamy light.
      I expected it to submarine underwater but has enough rocker and thin outline it handles that well.
      Use it with the 633 and 550 wings. (only 4 sessions so far)

It is very light and works so well for strapless, not sure why you need an even smaller board......unless you want to see the water right under your front foot

It also works well with straps if you want to jump and do board offs

The track is far enough back if someone is using a 633

Bill

Tom Tom
      Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks for all invaluable input. Will aim for the T38, considering I am still really learning a lot. Hence the ability to touch down at least to a degree kind of settles it. And tracks. And foot straps. The gear offering is changing so fast I really think once I get around to foiling 100% off the surface, I can then see what is available in even shorter boards.

Dave K
      Frequent Poster
      Kiting since: 2001
      Local Beach: Outer Banks
      Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
      Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:21 am

Foil wrote:
      Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm
      Tom Tom wrote:
      Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 am

The nose scoop is not an issue on either, and one is no better or worse than the other, both feel exactly the same-perfect!

The skate does scratch up far too easily, but a thin covering of gorilla soft black tape all along the edges makes it look like new, it really annoyed me just how easily the top paint layer scratched off to reveal the white undercoat, maybe a white skate board would not be as bad, if they made one!

If you do get one avoid the skate board bag with the black lining as it bleeds the dye onto the board which will not come off, I am a lot annoyed at groove for not fixing this for me, not even replying to my emails, I know this was an issue as groove emailed two people who live near me who had the same board bag and offered a new bag, which to this day, they did not do, and that was 4-5 months back, I just cut the black liner away as the white foam padding is sewn into the top and base cover.
      if groove make a full carbon Skate this scratching problem would not be a big issue, as it is, it is a big problem if you like your board not looking very secondhand within a few weeks.
      but both great boards, but one looks shockingly fantastic.
      I have a more recently produced Groove Skate (but still the 2018 model) with about 5 sessions so far. No black lining bleed issue on the bag and no scratch issues at all. I don’t throw it around, but I don’t treat it with kid gloves either. Mine is white with sort of a very faint black Camo finish. It looks/feels great. Light and tough. The V-straps are awesome. I set them very loose on the furthest forward setting so the only time I sense them at all is water starting. Perfect plug and play with the 633. One really cool thing with this rig, as long as the kite is reasonably powered, I can water start in water about 2/3 as deep as the mast.....most of the time. More than a few abrupt full speed sand groundings. The board and foil just take it all in stride.

I don’t have any foil board experience other than the 4’10” (147cm) Happy Foil board, and I still touch down and wipe out a lot on switch stance jibes (old and klutzy). That serious nose scoop on the Skate completely delivers as advertised. You can bury the nose underwater but with any forward momentum that scoop along with the 633 just pushes you right back up and back in the game. Only issue with the board is that you will still wait about 8 weeks to get one. I’m sure the T38 is a great comparable board as well. A 105 cm pocket would probably be way too frustrating for my skill level
      Attachments
      568CB6BB-66D3-462B-BAA5-D7EF947FCA5B.jpeg

Foil
      Very Frequent Poster
      Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:48 pm

I have just been looking at the brand new Groove Skate boards over here on Flag beach, landed only two days ago with Gunner,
      I do like the carbon finish and red stripe detail.
      Pauline says stop looking, your not getting another board🤔☹️

Tom Tom
      Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:15 am

#68 has arrived. Damn!!
      Attachments
      077A8769-1CD1-41EE-B5FF-CF691E7D7EB6.jpeg

Return to “Hydrofoil”