Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebels
Core xr5
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hatteras in Dec/January

Postby kitegrl91 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Hey everyone, if anyone has been to Hatteras in end of December and January specifically can you give me the down lo on the weather, wind and water conditions? I did do some research on it but it's nice to get a personal perspective. I live in Ontario and am heading down over New Years, through the first week of January and just want a basic understanding of what to expect. I've been to OBX a few times, I'm familiar with the area and am staying in Avon. Anyone else down there that time of the year haha? I know it'll be cold but, no matter the conditions, right? lol.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Re: Hatteras in Dec/January

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 am

It's been a long time since I went to OBX at that time of year. 30 years ago I went most years for windsurfing and have photos of us freezing in drysuits with ice on the grass along the sound. You could get lucky and get some relatively warm southerlies though. If you like ocean riding, it would surely be warmer than the sound, try Hatteras Landing to Frisco bathhouse on a SW wind. Best yet, if you foil reliably, stay out of the water most of the time, down at Canadian Hole!

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:55 pm

I've been down there that time of year and it can vary a lot. If you get some warm days you can ride. Some years I've ridden around Christmas in the ocean in a steamer and been comfy. Last year the week between Christmas and New Year's was too cold for me to ride, maybe I've gotten softer but if my steamer is not enough or I need gloves it's too cold for me. I'll be down there this year at that time and I hope we get some warm weather. It's mostly locals that time of year. Being in Avon, you'll be close to Food Lion and have a few restaurant options. Have fun. Dec/Jan is a cool time to be there.
Tony

kitegrl91
Rare Poster
Core xr5

Postby kitegrl91 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks for the responses! I’ve been following the wind and weather in Hatteras and so far it’s looking good. I’m used to sessions where gloves are needed so that is okay. As long as it doesn’t get into minuses where my lines are freezing I’m good to go! Booking a last minute deal like next week to stay in Salvo the 29th dec. Usually I stay in Avon but thought I’d try something else. A little worried about the water temperature but hey...that’s what good wetsuits and proper warm gear are for. I will give it a try once and see how it goes. If you’re down there and see a crazy girl kiting, please ensure there are no sharks following me looking for a meal :p

Was looking at the carribean but I find everything in the carribean destinations over Christmas break is just too insane cost wise and crowded, and sadly this year that’s the only time I can go:( maybe next year.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:04 pm

kitegrl91 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:41 pm
Thanks for the responses! I’ve been following the wind and weather in Hatteras and so far it’s looking good. I’m used to sessions where gloves are needed so that is okay. As long as it doesn’t get into minuses where my lines are freezing I’m good to go! Booking a last minute deal like next week to stay in Salvo the 29th dec. Usually I stay in Avon but thought I’d try something else. A little worried about the water temperature but hey...that’s what good wetsuits and proper warm gear are for. I will give it a try once and see how it goes. If you’re down there and see a crazy girl kiting, please ensure there are no sharks following me looking for a meal :p

Was looking at the carribean but I find everything in the carribean destinations over Christmas break is just too insane cost wise and crowded, and sadly this year that’s the only time I can go:( maybe next year.
Salvo is fine, but I like Avon, or even Bxuton, for the shorter drives either direction, especially if there is a SW wind you want to do oceanside downwinders from Hatteras to Frisco. If it is a nice day there will be locals doing it and just tag along for a ride back. If solo, you will have no problems hitching a ride back.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:41 pm

kitegrl91 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 pm
Hey everyone, if anyone has been to Hatteras in end of December and January specifically can you give me the down lo on the weather, wind and water conditions? I did do some research on it but it's nice to get a personal perspective. I live in Ontario and am heading down over New Years, through the first week of January and just want a basic understanding of what to expect. I've been to OBX a few times, I'm familiar with the area and am staying in Avon. Anyone else down there that time of the year haha? I know it'll be cold but, no matter the conditions, right? lol.
why not La Ventana? It's the right place to ride in Dec-Jan

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Yep, as others said, the weather is very variable there. If it's a southerly type of wind expect mild, if it's northerly at all expect cold.
This video is from late December two years ago, and it was quite warm for December... https://youtu.be/PHxpbuJaYyQ
Here's a live cam from Hatteras... http://surfchex.com/cams/hatteras-web-cam/ They also have one in Waves looking at the sound and the REAL slick, but it doesn't seem to be working.

kitegrl91
Rare Poster
Core xr5

Postby kitegrl91 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Hugh2- yes I do like Avon as well because in summer the wind is usually some form of S. But in December I've been looking at it and seems mostly from the north. Im not solo and I am driving :) Im also not quite at the oceanside long downwinders level :p I can do short downwinders but waves still affect my riding. Thanks for your tips! Appreciate it.

kitegrl91
Rare Poster
Core xr5

Postby kitegrl91 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:48 pm

grigorib wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:41 pm
kitegrl91 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 pm
why not La Ventana? It's the right place to ride in Dec-Jan
Hi, it is not quite in my price range around Christmas the cost is very expensive from where I am to get there. I also think it will be very busy and crowded over the holiday season. I would like to look into going there in the future though. :)

kitegrl91
Rare Poster
Core xr5

Postby kitegrl91 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 pm

IBaKiteboarder wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:51 pm
Yep, as others said, the weather is very variable there. If it's a southerly type of wind expect mild, if it's northerly at all expect cold.
This video is from late December two years ago, and it was quite warm for December... https://youtu.be/PHxpbuJaYyQ
Here's a live cam from Hatteras... http://surfchex.com/cams/hatteras-web-cam/ They also have one in Waves looking at the sound and the REAL slick, but it doesn't seem to be working.
Hey, awesome thank you! I was looking for something like this. :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”