Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need a new term for being lofted horizontally!

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Need a new term for being lofted horizontally!

Postby Laughingman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:33 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:17 pm
yarded
superman
dirt body drag
11's
mowing the lawn the hard way
Yep I 2nd this .... Yarded

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:33 am

or6 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 am
:-).

You don't need a new term for this event, you're hardly the first kiter to keep the kite too high when hit by a gust.

Put it low, dig in, if necessary, slow down till a standstill during the gust. In between the gusts, don't let your boardspeed get too high.
My kite was not high, it was low. I've often been lofted and land most of them, but could do nothing in this situation. Certainly could not dig in, was simply launched horizontally!

edt, I like "superman"

Toby, it was mostly manageable, Grigorib and I were doing jumps, albeit not trying to get very high. Just the gusts were sometimes really extreme.

Here's the recording from our nearby home city from Windalert.
Attachments
ChampaignOctober28_2018.jpg

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:51 am

I am glad you weren't injured. Inland conditions can be dangerously gusty but that isn't news to you. If you continue to go out in those kind of conditions, I wish you good luck as skill may not cover things in all instances.

Anyway, the term "lofting" covers what you experienced. It is defined as: "Lofting is the involuntary lifting of a kitesurfer in a gust and getting blown downwind ..." The term was coined in 2001 under the impression that lofting would be quite common in the future of kiting. I had only my case and two others to look at the time but it seemed like it deserved its own name given the problems it seemed highly likely to create in the future. Gear has improved a lot as has awareness, still folks are getting lofted at times in the old fashioned ways, just not as often fortunately.

More at: viewtopic.php?t=2311536

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks RickI, you've been around longer and seen more than me. Agreed that "lofting" could cover this kind of thing as well. And that the design of modern kites makes this situation much more manageable than with the old C-kites, where it would be extremely dangerous, indeed I cannot imagine being out in those conditions with my old C-kites, and I never had one that small.

For Toby, we've kited on days like this before on our lake, one spring day even stronger with our best kiter going out first on a 3.5m, and I've kited in Cape Town in conditions similarly strong where I had to go down to a rented 4m (while Kevin Langaree was still on a 9m! Sort of like that famous video of his from last season). So it is manageable with the right kites and enough experience, but obviously a bit risky. Indeed, I did come in after that lofting and took a break, and by the time I went back out again, just after 2PM on that graph, conditions had mellowed and one could do controlled jumps instead.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:19 pm

Normally it works out, but....

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2401060

Zen_Rider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Tenby, Freshwater West & Newgale
Style: Big air, Freestyle, Wave
Gear: DT Dice 7 / 9 / 11
CF Raptor Extreme
DT Whip 5"2

Postby Zen_Rider » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm

I'd call this a tea bagging!
This is outrageous! You're making tea all wrong...

I always used to refer to those horizontal lofts as a 'Yanking'.
Though now I say it, horizontal yanking sounds a bit sketchy...

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:40 pm

"Yarded" does sound better! Since this was "scary fun" I called it Halloween Kiting.

Painfully aware of the hazards when you have solid objects downwind of you, Toby, and I posted in that thread. We had no obstacles downwind, and stayed away from the shoreline as it is lined with trees which accelerate the wind even more near them. Our "beach", a manmade strip of course sand, is just wide enough to make for fairly safe launching and landing.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:16 pm

teabagged lol

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:40 am
Wait for the death loop...then we talk
When was the last time you owned and flew a 5-6m kite in gusts to 40 knots Toby?

I'm guessing pre 2010.

I'm not sure you can make any experienced recomendations on flying in these winds with the current kite technology when you openly state that you only own 18m and only use it in lighter winds and have done so for many years.

Current small kites are far safer and easy to fly than the crazy on/off power, shitty safety systems, long bridled kites tip catching death looping machines you have experience with.

Death looping is almost a thing of the past these days. Bridles dont wrap around windtips easily anymore. As long as you have the skill to fly in those winds, the death loop is relegated to equipment failure.

I had such a failure a couple of months back. A squall came through, measured wind gusts hit 50-60 knots. I was in the shallows and my 6m kite center strut burst (its a 2012 kite) chucking the kite jellyfishing and looping into the powerzone. I got dragged through the shallows for a few meters before i hit the safety. Kite fell out of the sky and I was fine. The kite was still too powedered on the safety to walk the line and secure the kite. So i held onto the safety line until squall passed then I secured the kite.

Now tell me about your last 5-6m 40+knot session. When was it, What kite were you flying?
I honestly think you are out of date when giving advice on high winds. I think you need to get a small kite and go and fly in high winds for a while so you can re-aquant yourself to highwind flying and get an impression of how the latest kites behave in those winds. Then you will be able to offer advice based on current experience.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Teabagging is the word, have been there for years...

Actually, vertical loftings never occur :roll:

But seemlingly almost vertical yes, true, can happen.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”