cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Woo3 and Xensr compared

Postby cwood » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:11 pm

For what it's worth, I have never seen 3 read higher than 2. Probably 20 sessions.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby andylc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:36 pm

What it's worth is not much! I think the video pretty much explains it...

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:22 pm

andylc wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:36 pm
What it's worth is not much! I think the video pretty much explains it...
It is worth much because it is exactly the same between my Woo's 2.0 and 3.0. It's Good the video is there but there are only 2 Woo's used ...

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:38 pm

joriws wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:43 am
Nice video with effort - and finally some used camera-horizon -plane level (with a drone). But with mast plane-video would not have battery issues and they would have got more jumps.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyHMidSRxK8

Nice video but :

-Testing a Woo with a foil is pointless because it is not supported as per say the CEO of Woo and the readings are not fair to the other users (much higher readings)

-I don't want to be mean but her jump technique is poor...

-The 2 WOOs are not placed ideally on the board (one on each rail) and this can result in very different readings (should be placed in the center)

-I feel like tubeless kites don't jump the same at all... but i don't know the consequences to the Woo readings.

-Jumping in front of the camera and trying to mesure from the take off point is far from accurate because depending if you go to the camera or away from it while in the air, even if the jump is the same height, one is gonna look higher than the other... because of perspective.

Anyway, it is a fun device regardless of accuracy

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:29 am

We all know WOO isnt that accurate but I agree the test done in this video is not sufficient to draw any conclusions! I think if she used 2 WOO 3.0 or 2.0s she would even get different readings. Anyway there remains a high request for a good check...anyhow previous tests all indicate minor differences between 2 and 3. there is difference between 1 and 2 / 1 and 3 but still reliable testing required to indicate which is better...my assumption would be 3 as the measurements got improved...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:45 am

Kitemenn wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:29 am
We all know WOO isnt that accurate but I agree the test done in this video is not sufficient to draw any conclusions! I think if she used 2 WOO 3.0 or 2.0s she would even get different readings. Anyway there remains a high request for a good check...anyhow previous tests all indicate minor differences between 2 and 3. there is difference between 1 and 2 / 1 and 3 but still reliable testing required to indicate which is better...my assumption would be 3 as the measurements got improved...
We all THINK Woo isn't accurate, and all we know from the video is that generally the 3 reads higher than the 2.

Until anyone actually measures jumps accurately and incontrovertibly, then compares that data to the Woo, then all the poo-pooing of the Woo as "reading too high" is just hot air.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:12 pm

maffhieu wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:38 pm
-Jumping in front of the camera and trying to mesure from the take off point is far from accurate because depending if you go to the camera or away from it while in the air, even if the jump is the same height, one is gonna look higher than the other... because of perspective.
No, the camera at certain height filming horizon removes perspective and lens disortion effects. On video (starting 10:20) they used DJI drone to film from 5m and "3.5m" jump was below horizon from 5m camera-level as it should have been. Over 5m jump was above horizon from 5m camera. So when you film jump you have to elevate cameras to form "perspective free measuring planes" similar to construction lasers. And when filmed against distant horizon, none of the lens disortions matter, because you are actually measuring was jumper higher or lower than camera-horizon plane. How much 5m jump was above camera - that cannot be reliably said because perspective, jumpers distance, lens disortions matters.

It is explained by me on page 2 of this thread.

So with single mast (on Our Kite Life's video you can see some mast) mount action cameras on defined heights from water level to film horizon. So with GoPro's 170deg FOV you can superwise whole beach and every kiter if they jump above plane camera is filming.

Linking page 2 image to this posting..

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:38 pm

maffhieu wrote:

Nice video but :

-Testing a Woo with a foil is pointless because it is not supported as per say the CEO of Woo and the readings are not fair to the other users (much higher readings)

-The 2 WOOs are not placed ideally on the board (one on each rail) and this can result in very different readings (should be placed in the center)

-I feel like tubeless kites don't jump the same at all... but i don't know the consequences to the Woo readings.

agree with most of the above comments.
Would not it kill them to put both woos in the center of the board and close to each other, as the manual actually suggests?
Why did not they try to put them in the opposite corners of the board? That would create even more controversy :-)
Another issue with their "average" claims - they are mostly based on smallish jumps (around 4-7meters)..
For those woo3 tends to read higher. I am not sure if it's a side effect of more sensitive accelerometer, badly tweaked algorithm or clever marketing...
Probably a side effect as they try to market new woo to more sports... If you remember woo1 would not even register most jumps under 4 meters, that would make it useless for cable wakestyle.
A friend tried to do a similar test just a week ago... he got 10cm height difference between woo2 and woo3 on his highest jump (I think it was 10-11m)... Woo3 read 10cm higher..
This is just another test, and he was not pushing any agendas, curiosity mostly. If anyone interested, PM me and I'll send you his woo name and date of those 2 sessions...

The girl on the video made some valid points. You are not guaranteed that the reading of a single jump will be correct to a centimeter or maybe even a meter.. that's just how it is.. But you can take best 5 or 10 jumps out of a session average them and the result will be pretty accurate reflection of person's skill and conditions IMHO. I doubt that the guys with badges [15 over 15m] got those by mistake... I wish woo would introduce special hashtags like #best10 and do leaderboard filter for people who are interested..
I know some local groups that did competition based on 10 best jumps and everyone agreed that it was pretty accurate way to measure boosting skills...

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:07 pm

It is logical WOO extended their business to cover other sports too...Look at PIQ they are into many sports among which cover boxing, tennis and even golf. Agree with Deniska that an average of your 5 best jumps might be better to cover for these spikes...that being said it feels like the WOO people are in their winter mode as I haven't seen any changes in a while..no updates no big communication. Why I am most surprised on that is that they launched WOO Beta for users to flag issues and raise new features which I think many users commented on...but non of these suggestions have been pushed (where some are rather simple to introduce and would increase UX significantly)

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 pm

deniska wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:38 pm
maffhieu wrote:

Nice video but :

agree with most of the above comments.
Would not it kill them to put both woos in the center of the board and close to each other, as the manual actually suggests?
Why did not they try to put them in the opposite corners of the board? That would create even more controversy :-)
Another issue with their "average" claims - they are mostly based on smallish jumps (around 4-7meters)..
For those woo3 tends to read higher. I am not sure if it's a side effect of more sensitive accelerometer, badly tweaked algorithm or clever marketing...
Probably a side effect as they try to market new woo to more sports... If you remember woo1 would not even register most jumps under 4 meters, that would make it useless for cable wakestyle.
A friend tried to do a similar test just a week ago... he got 10cm height difference between woo2 and woo3 on his highest jump (I think it was 10-11m)... Woo3 read 10cm higher..
This is just another test, and he was not pushing any agendas, curiosity mostly. If anyone interested, PM me and I'll send you his woo name and date of those 2 sessions...

The girl on the video made some valid points. You are not guaranteed that the reading of a single jump will be correct to a centimeter or maybe even a meter.. that's just how it is.. But you can take best 5 or 10 jumps out of a session average them and the result will be pretty accurate reflection of person's skill and conditions IMHO. I doubt that the guys with badges [15 over 15m] got those by mistake... I wish woo would introduce special hashtags like #best10 and do leaderboard filter for people who are interested..
I know some local groups that did competition based on 10 best jumps and everyone agreed that it was pretty accurate way to measure boosting skills...
An excellently balanced viewpoint and consistent with our experiences across many riders, many woos, all woo versions and 1000's of sessions. It's really the average that is quite accurate. It is imperfect but pretty damn fun. The people that are tops are tops and really hard to beat and people know the truth based on what they see with their eyes.

Return to “Kitesurfing”