Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Camrig Gen4 for GoPro Hero-6

Forum for kitesurfers
Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Camrig Gen4 for GoPro Hero-6

Postby Dirk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:36 am

As I wrote above, I use the plugs only on one side, so that the flagging line can move freely for sure. The camera stays in place that way.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby beebad » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Dirk wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:36 am
As I wrote above, I use the plugs only on one side, so that the flagging line can move freely for sure. The camera stays in place that way.
Well Dirk, I get more usable feedback from folks like you than I get from the manufacturer. I hope i dont end up using my hook knifes just to satisfy my little ego...

I wonder how much line has to be released from the bar in order to flag out the kite in a situation or self rescue? Hey man thanks.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:37 pm

Dirk wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:48 am
Camera needs to sit on top not under it. Remove the rubber plugs on the side of your front line which is the flagging line. I always wrap duct tape around the connection points to reduce the risk that a back line gets caught there.

I will need to be very diligent on its use....

Since there are no instructions with this product, how far from the bar is a good safer starting point to position this thing?

Thanks again

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:09 pm

2 metres
Attachments
F1E62A15-C056-49A1-85EC-5FECCB79E95F.jpeg

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:42 pm

I tried it yesterday and finally saw myself in action. I thought i would come in for some lunch and it would be a good time to test the flagging with something on the center lines in shallow water.

I pulled the release and nothing happened. I only had one plug on the safety side. It seeamed like the force of the action was going to break the device by spreading it apart to the breaking point.

Finally the single plug popped out and the kite flagged. Some tense moments....i recovered the green plug, climbed up the flagging line to secure the kite and then took the thing off the lines.

If the winds were howling this could have ended badly, either no flagging or breaking the device.

Bottom line- use this when someone can catch you on shore or roll the dice with flagging the kite.

I am disappointed that the manufacturer assured me their product was safe....

I will need to somehow modify the flag side plugs but in reality the flagging line needs to be able to travel much further so the camrig needs to be positioned much further closer to the kite.

Although i got some footage kiting, i cannot endorse the use of Camrig without strong warnings.

Disappointed.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:06 am

I’m riding Core kites and it works fine, it just sits further away from me because the Y is so high up. I’ve gotten great stable footage so far.

The thing I can’t quite figure out is the flagging line on core since the flagging line from the bar passes through a loop where it splits. So it’s not obvious if the flagging line is one side or not ( my Slingshot bar was tbe left side)

Here’s an instructional video, and he only uses one plug. I set mine up with two plugs on one side and none on the other side.

https://youtu.be/KFWxQ6AcgfA

Either way, it should be mentioned to everyone that putting something in your lines increases the risk of things going wrong

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 am

Yes, that is the video that CAMRIG sent me a link for and i only used one plug on the flag side, as i described above....

I learned this weekend that an alternative to flagging the kite is to reel in one of the steering lines all the way to the kite......kite needs 4 lines to fly...i tried this twice and successfully landed my kite.....

I got some great footage but at a cost of confidence and safety preoccupation....

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 am

I can only recommend the UGo mount, sits tight and one side can still slide :thumb:

8) Peter

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 am
I can only recommend the UGo mount, sits tight and one side can still slide :thumb:

8) Peter
Hey dude, you wouldn't happen to know where I could find one of these would you?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:43 pm

Beardytello wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:02 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 am

8) Peter
Hey dude, you wouldn't happen to know where I could find one of these would you?

Sure, I got mine directly here at their website, didnt take long: http://www.ugokite.com/

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”