Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Velcro or Ratchet - What would you prefer on a Spleene Kiteboard?

Forum for kitesurfers
Spleene-Kiteboarding
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Worldwide
Style: All Styles
Gear: Spleene
Brand Affiliation: Spleene
Has thanked: 0

Velcro or Ratchet - What would you prefer on a Spleene Kiteboard?

Postby Spleene-Kiteboarding » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:44 am

Currently our SPLEENE Twintips come with a classic Velcro strap (see here: SPLEENE Straps & Pads).
For 2019 we will want to give everyone the choice: Velcro or Ratchet.

I advance, we would like to ask you guys, what do you prefer?

A. Classic velcro strap - "once it's set, it's fine"
B. Ratchet strap - "loose/tight, just a second away"

And for what do you prefer either A or B? Is it relaxed freeride, big air board-offs or freestyle tricks with straps?

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Velcro or Ratchet - What would you prefer on a SPLEENE Kiteboard?

Postby Beardytello » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 pm

I've never tried a ratchet so my opinion might be invalid! But I've certainly got no problem with the velcro, I set the size once for summer (no boots) then adjust the first time I wear boots, then I just leave it alone.

This is for pretty chilled out freeride, some jumps, no board offs at the moment.

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush

Re: Velcro or Ratchet - What would you prefer on a Spleene Kiteboard?

Postby Jukka » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:18 pm

I currently have a board with Carved ratched pads and a second board with Shinn ratchets. I will never have a twintip without ratchet pads again.
And much prefer the Carved system compared to Shinn as the double ratchet gives the possibility to adjust the strap tilt.

So I'll vote B.

I use them for freeride. Adjust them per:
- Conditions. Easy flat I can ride with looser setting vs. gusty choppy I like to have better hold of the board
- What I'm doing. Easy vs. active riding and jumping
- And of course from barefoot to different thickness neoprene booties
- And the fact that changing from barefoot to booties or different thickness booties, it seems to be absolutely impossible to remember to check and adjust the straps before going to water with kite.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:25 pm

I've been riding Spleene for last 5 years. Riding hard and happily. Never in booties - I can't feel the board right wearing rubber.
Riding twintip in booties is about as comfortable as having sex while wearing a raincoat.

Velcro is awesome. Make it more simple, not more complicated.

I'd actually prefer even less adjustable option - I never ever undo straps so I'd welcome any other way to make adjustments harder. If adjustments would take unscrewing the whole strap/pad and adjusting on the bottom side of the pad - it'd be perfect.

Since I got an ear of my beloved twintip vendor - please start making pocket foilboards - 1/2" thin, two sets of holes on the bottom to attach mast, foam on top, inserts for hook on front for those who don't ride strapless. That I'd ride with booties in cold water. Strapless of course.
Last edited by grigorib on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:50 pm

I’ve using the ratchet system for few months now, my first contact with it was on a Shinn Bronq, that is my second board. I like it so much, that i’ve just got a custom pad/traps from SP board to put on my slingshot board.
That being said, is really important to have two sizes at least (small/large) as a option for your customers, as the “universal” size of the ratchet system (sp) fits well larger fit and not so well small feet. That is the down side of the Shinn line, as the small version have a women oriented design, instead of being neutral/unisex, so if you guys are going two sizes, i think is better to make them unisex.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Ratchet all the way being able to adjust on the water with a few clicks is awesome. My Axis pads are comfortable but really hard to adjust on the go.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Yeah I think it's a bit subjective. If I lived in the Caribbean and rode barefoot all the time I wouldn't care if I had velcro. The reality of where I kite is that the water is now 42f degrees and booties are required. The ratchet systems from SP, Shinn (same), Nobile (same) and Carved work great. Instant adjustment is great to avoid pressure points and just make small tweaks while riding.

I also typically subscribe to a less is more theory in gear. Nothing sucks worse than something breaking on a kite trip and there's nowhere to get a part - but on footstraps I'll take the minor moving part of the ratchet over velcro. I've had an original pair of SP QSR straps 3+ years since they came to the US. The are still in perfect shape and ratchet doesn't even show any wear. They've been flawless.

Also having the ratchet system is pretty nice if you have multiple people using your board or just swap with buddies. Ease of adjustment is good.

Spleene-Kiteboarding
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Worldwide
Style: All Styles
Gear: Spleene
Brand Affiliation: Spleene
Has thanked: 0

Postby Spleene-Kiteboarding » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:34 pm

Thanks for all the input on sizes, systems and ratchet/velcros in general.
We are happy to let that information flow into our design process and different views of kiters from all over the world are always welcome!

Return to “Kitesurfing”