Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fastest way how to set up your kite

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Jukka wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:04 pm
The thing here making it a no go, you save some time, but take someone else's time holding the kite while fixing the lines in both directions.

You can do the same when you make a normal tethered selflaunch :thumb:

Eventhough yes, problem is kites and bars...

I got a few bars yes. But also 3.5 - 5 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 11 - 12 - 12 - 13 - 15 m2 kites.

Using 3 different line lengths depending on whether for waveboards or wavefoilboards or lightwind foilboards, it is not really possible actually...

And even if using one line length only, I should have 12 bars with lines :rollgrin:

But if for some reason I choose to pack down and rig up at a spot close to expecting same wind (with better waves, better conditions, better company, whatever...) I pack down this way, so really fast to rerig and ride again.

I dont like to do a slidelaunch, as then I have no chance to make sure the lines arent cluttered up - wayyyy too risky eventhough even faster yes.
With the tethered launch I can be sure everything is fine, one just roll the bar out first and anchor it to the stake, pump the kite and set it up while checking.

The idea is fine though, and good to show one example of how to keep track of the lines - as it is necessary in order not to screw them up so they get twisted or inside out - can happen easily :roll:

Some find it too simple yes, but remember, many dont know how to with many things and there could be hints like using the pump leash which is a great idea, so tutorials can always help some :D

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:00 am

I always leave bars attached on all kites LEIs and FOILs - but this video is plain ridiculous BS! Absolute overkill.

So if you are interested this is my way which work for me reliably ca. 20 years for all kites:

Two important notes
1. Never ever roll kite on bar or put bar in kite while packing - this is recipe for crossing line - because if bar is in kite it can go through bridle, wrong lines, etc. - bar is always WITH kite not IN kite.
2. Use common sense not to cross lines.

Packing

Land kite with lines as they should be. Wind you lines but not completely - leave some 5 meters. Put bar on ground near to kite /ca. midle of trailing edge/
Now deflate kite and pack it as you wish - these 5m of unwinded lines are slack that you need to manipulate with kite while packing.
Now put kite in the bag - wind rest of lines - put bar in bag - DONE

Unpacking

Pull bar from bag - unwind some 10m of lines - put bar on ground. Now pull kite from bag. Unpack inflate and put in on ground - TE is facing to bar. Unwind rest of lines. While launching untwist lines /there can be 1 or 2 simple twist in line like from kite loop/ - Launch - DONE.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:29 am

Very similar to you tomtom....long time kitesurfing ...lines on all LEI"s...no detach

Packing : bar goes with loose lines centered with dump valve " in front " of leading edge....toss all loose lines in kite....logic is...deflate air from LEI from rear to front at final folding
When done put bar on top of kite lengthwise with the bar end where lines come out of it pointing towards the LE....put carefully in bag...make sure bar don't flip

Though whole process keep bar left on left ...right on right...no bar flips....it will insure that when reversing exactly to set-up & launch...all will be OK
No need to spin bar ....lines will have no twist ...keeping spatial orientation of bar versus kite (as if it was flying ) perfectly is possible with practice and discipline

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:42 pm

I do this with my open cell foil kites on land, bars or handles, and I think most have been doing this for years.

nfried
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nfried » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:35 pm

I've got 2 bars for 4 kites so doesn't work for me. Instead I've used the method in this video with success, though you need to be very disciplined about it.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:50 pm

Yeah this might be necessary for some small, remote (boat) or difficult launches but walking the lines out once and connecting to the kite might add all of 1 minute to the process?

Patience grasshopper.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Even when I did not have a bar per kite I kept the lines connected as I use 90% the same kite over again for the next session. Now I have a bar per kite. Still the only one who keeps the lines connected except the foil liters.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:24 pm

I use one of these, works great. Never have to walk out the lines.
line organizer.jpg

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Hmm Toby learnt all his 1 kite tricks while we were trying to figure out what sizes for the weather :(

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Whats the big deal with slow setup times?
Just unload in your wetsuit. There, extra minute of saved kite time. Keeps you warm too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”