Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shinnster thoughts

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Shinnster thoughts

Postby matth » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:06 pm

I am looking for a fun board to ride in light wind, small surf, and help with strapless footwork. I have read that the shinnster is great in those conditions but conflicting opinions on how good it is for learning strapless footwork. I'm looking at the new 2018 with deckpad and 80mm fins..

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Re: Shinnster thoughts

Postby Faxie » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:40 pm

It's just fine for learning strapless. Fun board. I got the first one with the 55cm (I think) fins. Less grip than a surfboard, but the 80mm fins will help with that.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FrederikS » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Totally worth it and does exactly what it is supposed to. Used it for a while with the 50ish mm fins and some 80 mm more surf style fins. Fun board, rides like a skim but is more stable. Handles chop beautifully and is manageable in high winds as well despite the large size. It is a bit heavy, but you do not feel it on the water. You need to carry a bit more speed into your gybes and tacks because it has very little volume, but since it is good at maintaining direction is it still easy enough.

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!

Postby Ianw » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:18 pm

matth wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:06 pm
I am looking for a fun board to ride in light wind, small surf, and help with strapless footwork. I have read that the shinnster is great in those conditions but conflicting opinions on how good it is for learning strapless footwork. I'm looking at the new 2018 with deckpad and 80mm fins..
I had the original Shinnster (waxed the deck) and now the latest Shinnster Encore with the factory pad and 53 mm fins. I use it as my light wind board with TT for mod to high wind. I've had it since August the big differences V the original it's gripper in the tail and goes upwind better due the tail config. (see Shinn web site) the pad is non slip and is angled on the sides so you can jam your heel against the edge it also makes a great handle for carrying. I kite in shallow water at low tide so happy to have the small fins. I would recommend paying the extra and getting the factory pad. I've had some great sessions on the board, no worries about dings, it's improved my strapless skills, it's a lot of fun.
Last edited by Ianw on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:36 pm

I have a copy of one made of wood door veneer. Fun board, goes upwind shockingly well, can hold its edge in small waves, but also really slidey to play around with surface tricks. Can even do strapless airs on them, to some extent. I experimented with bigger fins, found it held edge better, but it lost the slippy skatey-ness that made the board fun.

These were popular 4-5 years ago, starting with the BRM Paipo, then Shinn working a deal to copy it. I know the interest faded on the BRM side of things with taking up foiling … drilled his paipo to attach a foil, which then became ever smaller towards a pocket foil board. I haven’t heard people talk about them in years, didn’t realize they were even making them any more. So: my suggestion to you, put out a want ad on the kite classifieds, as I bet there a whole bunch of these gathering dust in board rooms, could possibly get one for pennies on the dollar. Or maybe everyone else is like me, hoarding for that day when you’ll use it again and recapture the magic! (despite not using it for 3+ years ;-)

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Ianw wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:18 pm
matth wrote:
I had the original Shinnster (waxed the deck) and now the latest Shinnster Encore with the factory pad and 53 mm fins. I use it as my light wind board with TT for mod to high wind. I've had it since August the big differences V the original it's gripper in the tail and goes upwind better due the tail config. (see Shinn web site) the pad is non slip and is angled on the sides so you can jam your heel against the edge it also makes a great handle for carrying. I kite in shallow water at low tide so happy to have the small fins. I would recommend paying the extra and getting the factory pad. I've had some great sessions on the board, no worries about dings, it's improved my strapless skills, it's a lot of fun.

How would you rate the low end?? about the same as a door??

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!

Postby Ianw » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:32 pm

How would you rate the low end?? about the same as a door??
[/quote]

I've never kited a Spleene door so can't say. I would generally kite the Shinnster with my 12m kite in say 12 knots of wind. To me it's about learning new strapless skills and having a break from the TT on a day with a gentle breeze. You drive the board mainly with front foot pressure and it feels so loose (surfy) compared to a TT. It took me some time to master gybes (can't tack it yet) but it's very rewarding and so different from the TT.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Shinnster low end is pretty good, but not as low as a wide LW surfboard.

The number one word I would use to describe the Shinnster is "smooth". The thing is amazingly smooth. It makes crappy riders look good.

Is it a good board for strapless footwork? I'm not sure, it's not the most laterally stable board so you do have to place your feet correctly. On the other hand though it's so skatey that you can slide it around and recover from mistakes easily.

I love my Shinnster but I'm in the same boat as juandesooka, just haven't ridden it in a few years. I found a board I like better and it's pretty all I ride now. I didn't plan on selling it because it's nice to have for those occasional super smooth sessions and it's tough enough to strap across the back of my motorcycle and ride logging roads to get to kite spots but I've recently become short on storage space so I do have it up for sale. I'm not selling it super cheap though, it doesn't take up that much space that I would part with it too cheaply. I have it up for $450 CAD including the Shinn LaunchPad.

I have also used it as a wakesurfer behind the boat and it does very well, especially in choppy conditions if you have old man knees like me.

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:01 pm

The new SHINNSTER Encore is exactly that board like it is described on the webpage from Shinnworld.com .
I had the first SHINNSTER and a lot of fun with it. I could improve my strapless skills a lot. The new SHINNSTER Encore feels more compact and I like it even more. Personally I'm not a fan of wax if a pad could offer the same job. For this reason I have ordered the SHINNSTER with the mounted factory pad. I have compared the SHINNSTER with a DOOR as well and I would say that the low end is the same or even better with the SHINNSTER because I can change the rocker line through my weight distribution and because it has a harmonic nose rocker that makes traversing of any small windwaves even smoother. When I discover new spots for foilboarding I use the SHINNSTER first to check the wind and water depth with it before damaging my foil. When the wind gets very gusty and my kite is sometimes too small and sometimes too big I can still have fun with the SHINNSTER. Normally it is faster and easier to change to the SHINNSTER instead of changing the Kite and Foil. Sometimes it is super easy and sometimes challenging on the SHINNSTER but always super fun. And it looks like a real art piece. :thumb:

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:03 am

matth wrote:
How much do you weigh?

Return to “Kitesurfing”