Style: New start
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Broken control bar

Postby Kitesurfingsouthport » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:26 am

Hi all
I’m new to kite surfing, I’ve just got a kit and the control bar the ropes have been cut because the previous owner had an accident and the ropes got cut to get him out, the loops where lost is there any where I can go or kits I can get to get it fixed or will I have to buy another one it’s an old 5 line ozone kite and bar,

Many thanks for your help

Andy

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Re: Broken control bar

Postby peppedurso » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:37 am

Hi,

First of all do a favor to yourself and kiters around you, DO NOT use a five line bar/kite as beginner.

If the bar was involved in an accident it’s probably a good idea to get a new one. Remember, your life might depend by your gear, expecially bar and lines.

But if you feel that your life (or someone else life) worth less than 200 bucks, well, go ahead.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:51 am

Kitesurfingsouthport wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:26 am
Hi all
I’m new to kite surfing, I’ve just got a kit and the control bar the ropes have been cut because the previous owner had an accident and the ropes got cut to get him out, the loops where lost is there any where I can go or kits I can get to get it fixed or will I have to buy another one it’s an old 5 line ozone kite and bar,

Many thanks for your help

Andy
Hi Andy. I think Ozone only do 5 lines on the C4 which is a C kite and is for advanced riders and not great for learning on. But anyway, let's say you learn on this kite and want to fix the lines as requested...

You will probably need to buy a new 5 line set as even if only two lines were cut they are usually sold in pairs or as a complete set. You should go to an ozone shop and get the bar checked out while you are at it.

Oh, and you can switch the C4 back to 4 lines if you want which apparently reduces the bar pressure too.

Definitely take your kit it in to a shop and get their professional opinion.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:33 pm

You do not need Ozone bar. And as a beginner, they will sell u whatever.

Get any second hand bar in decent condition, 4 or 5 lines, simply coz will cost less than a new set of lines. Safety of 5 lines kite is negligible tho.

Keep the old bar, u might like the feel of it more. Than get help if needed to swap the lines and other bits to it.

Ozone bar is heavy, if u like this, fine. If not, look for lighter options.

My bar complete is 715 grams. Factory made components, but my setup.

D.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:07 pm

downunder wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:33 pm
You do not need Ozone bar. And as a beginner, they will sell u whatever.

Get any second hand bar in decent condition, 4 or 5 lines, simply coz will cost less than a new set of lines. Safety of 5 lines kite is negligible tho.

Keep the old bar, u might like the feel of it more. Than get help if needed to swap the lines and other bits to it.
I think downsy is a bit drowsy here. If you do have a C-kite as others are mentioning, you NEED A 5th LINE BAR!!! Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. Even if the kite will fly and possibly flag to a single steering line as on old C-kites, you will not be able to re-launch or it will take you 20 times longer to relaunch even if you know what you are doing.

5th lines bars do provide a much higher degree of safety in high winds for beginners, but as downsy noted, modern kites (not modern C-kites) are very safe on a single front (power) line flag out in all but the highest wind speeds.

Do yourself a favor and invest in modern "non C-kites". Or let us know the model, size, your weight, your location, so you can get more advice before you go out and get hurt on this. It is true that everyone back in the day learned on C-Kites. But there is no reason for you to do this an the kiting community is more concerned with your safety as a potential new kiter, and the continued access to popular kiteboarding locations. If you go out and get hurt, or loose control and hurt an innocent beach goer, we will all lose access. Governmental agencies and even homeowners associations have been lining up to find an excuse to ban kiteboarding even where it has historically been done with a spotless safety record.

P.S. I have an old (in new condition) 2007 Airrush C-Kite kite I would like to give away for maybe $50. But I would NEVER let a beginner buy it or even take it for free.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Topicstarter probably has one of the first Ozone kites, 2006-2008 era, that had a loaded 5fth line instead of a bridle with the flagout on one of the front lines.

If this is the case, do yourself a favor and return it to the seller and invest your money in gear less than 6 years old. If you can't afford that, you should seriously consider another cheaper sport.

This is the first ozone gear and setup:
Attachments
SAVE_20181117_171258.jpeg
SAVE_20181117_171001.jpeg
SAVE_20181117_171001.jpeg (12.48 KiB) Viewed 1734 times

Kitesurfingsouthport
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southport

Postby Kitesurfingsouthport » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi
Thanks for all your advice I’ve taken it on board. the photo at the bottom is the one I have got in size 9 I am 12 stone or 168lb for all you Americans I live in England and your all talking buck and dollars your all in the USA. I think I’ll be looking for a more modern kite. As the reason why the last owner was selling it was he was a beginner went out to try to fly the kite without any lessons and it picked him up and dumped him on his head and fractured his skull cos he didn’t have a helmet on either sill fool

Kitesurfingsouthport
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southport

Postby Kitesurfingsouthport » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi again sorry just looked where your all from I can’t be insulting our ozzy friends who also do bucks and dollars 😊

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 pm

[quote=Kitesurfingsouthport
Hi
Thanks for all your advice I’ve taken it on board. the photo at the bottom is the one I have got in size 9 I am 12 stone or 168lb for all you Americans I live in England and your all talking buck and dollars your all in the USA. I think I’ll be looking for a more modern kite. As the reason why the last owner was selling it was he was a beginner went out to try to fly the kite without any lessons and it picked him up and dumped him on his head and fractured his skull cos he didn’t have a helmet on either sill fool/quote]
At first I thought this is a wind up, and it may still be!
I used to sail at your beach kiteingsouthport, AINSDALE beach, Southport.
And if any of the locals are reading this post who treasure thier access to this already endangered access beaches they will be eager to guide you in the right direction,
take thieir advice.
Last owner cracked their skull?
For heaven's sake,
guys who work for the council controlled Ainsdale beach read this forums posts, and are aware of their duty of care.
Think before posting such alarming threads. :nono:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 pm

if you on a budget, you may be able to cut all the lines down by a couple of ms . if you are left with over 20m of each line

all lines equal length usually

fractured skulls.. did their brain end up ok?

i seen a brain injury happen in front of my own eyes.. deathloop beach launch (bridle tangle i think it was) to 10m body slingshot to sand head impact). Brain injury was life changing for them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”