Forum for snow- and landkiters
slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: old blades and old flysurfers

Postby slide » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:01 pm

if you are confident you will find blades great for kitesurfing , I have seen it done on handles , just don't drop it , I saw mark everit kitesurfing on a blade3 4.9 and he was not really a kite surfer, he was a buggy flyer , and he was going great guns, but it is the same on a depower foil, just don't drop it, but an open foil will fill up with water very quick , a closed foil not so much
Last edited by slide on Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm

tomtom and kitexpert thankyou for your advice I just removed the knot with out any damage to the lines , I am so glad I stumbled on this forum and you are pros thx so much

I was a big user of the flexifoil forum , but it has changed names and died a very slow death other many years

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:57 am

Slide,

Have you tried any of the more recent Flysurfer kites? A lot has changed since the Speed2.

I am not saying that you can’t make the older kites work, you just might be surprised how much has changed.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
slide (Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:11 am

hi there , yes I can believe they have but I am happy with what I have -the constant need to upgrade is not something I chase , and I do like raw kites

Iceni
Rare Poster
Gear: Old gear.
FF Sting, Bullet 2.5,4.5, Blade2 4.9,9.0(crossover),
PL Venom1 13m
FF Airdeck,Buggy
Wind-dragon Buggy.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Iceni » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Worst thing about blades was gusts. Everything else could be controlled by riding the brakes. And in clean wind they flew like nothing else.

A bad gust however could spank you in so many ways if you had the kite in a poor position. You needed it low and in a position to use the power with a long enough run off. The bigger the blade the less this is a problem, as the bigger kites didn't tend to speed up in gusts as much they would produce pull rather than speed up. It was very much a case of learning the kite, the worst of them all was the B2 2M. I borrowed one with the intention to buy, but after using it I went with bullets for my smaller than 5M kites.

In a gust those small blades would accelerate like little monsters, Producing lift and a hell of a lot of power, but if you didn't slow the kite fast enough or manage to keep it flying at speed through loops that would be when it bites. You'd either find yourself in the air with a luffed kite, or worse the kite would luff back into the middle of the window with no control whilst you were doing 40mph in the buggy, Snap open and rip you a new one.

I'm actually thinking a lot of the fear of the older kites is the lack of the flexiforum. There was so much information about the older kites on there and it was all centralised. No one posted anywhere else at the time. When it went so did all the flying information about the older kite models.
These users thanked the author Iceni for the post:
slide (Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 pm)

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:18 pm

yea for gusts, kiting is shite and blades really let you know that in a brutal way and bringing the kite across the lower area's of the power zone if a gust , even a little extra punch of power, can really grab your attention , I don't want to fly in gusts too much , the 3,3 sting is better there ,a fat wing , large panels that help with the punch gusts, but yea I quite agree with ya , and the way the weather is going , I think we will see more gusty winds in the future , but surely pushing against the ocean is the best gust guzzler, where on a beach , smooth wind is prefered

on flying small blades in high winds , I have done this a lot , and here's what I reckon, only do it in smoothish winds, and the blade3 3metre on handles on a roller (I make my own out of stainless steel, with a strong roller bearing ) its quite heavy but it's un breakable , I have seen one of the petzl ones break under strain , its only a little bolt that holds them together, where in the ones I made they have a 12 mm bolt , I made 5 , 3 went to buggy freestylers, one to my soninlaw, and I had mk5 roller which was smaller and lighter ,but they are all unbreakable .

back to my favourite kites in strong winds , well small blades, blade3 3metre is the best in a high smooth wind and still retains the bade3 character which is in a powered up jump to just glide and glide , I have had some amazing onshore high winds with this kite on my landboard

blade 2' are very fast in the small versions , 2 metre , and 3 metre , with the 3 metre being doable , but not as stable as the 3 metre b3, 4metre b2 is the first really good stable one for powered up jumping in high winds

blade1's are powerful and raw and I had the 2.6 and 3.3 in high winds , smooth onshores and they are very stable , you always have to muscle blades and these are no exception , but very satisfying , the 2.6 is like a little bee buzzing and hang on ,great for more general landboarding ', as i say , if you want to experience landboarding in a high wind with great jumping potential and great everything the blade3 3metre is a rocket,but in a good stable way, glide baby glide , and it does

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:10 pm

I totally read that as old ladies and old flysurfers!
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
slide (Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 pm)

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:36 pm

it should read old man and old kites

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide
Has thanked: 0

Postby PBKiteboarding » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:14 am

Careful as time goes by, when reaction times get slower, especially in gusty winds with older kites that have less range, generally.
So you don't get whacked by a gust one day... Stay Safe! Many newer kites are so much more forgiving.
Great ideas on those knots! :)

Paul
PBKiteboarding.com
These users thanked the author PBKiteboarding for the post:
slide (Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 pm)

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:54 pm

who flys in gusts anyway , certainly not blade flyers , but the blade 1's are better in bumpy winds , and I collect blades , I have 18 in all with a particular liking to the early smaller ones , and I've been flying them since 2003, always on handles on a roller , as the buggy freestyle flyers do , a very touchy feely way to fly

Return to “Snow / Land”