kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Got my hands on the Quark!

Postby kitenight11 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi,
did already anybody tried to twaek the GoPro footage with this tool? : https://tailorandwayne.com/gpmd2csv/
Look at the rollercoaster, exactly what would be perfect for kitefootage.
I downloaded the Software and will try it out.
We'll see if it works...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:40 am

On the Gopro Fusion, I have edited videos using the ipad app. If you stand and hold the ipad and move it around to frame your shot then it's easy to keep the horizon level and to keep a specific object centred in the frame.

FIsheye distortion is a matter of choice when choosing your zoom. It's tempting to zoom out to show more in the image. If you zoom out you get fisheye. The solution is simple. Don't zoom out so far. Just accept the normal equivalent view that you would get with a non-360 camera. You can still use the 360 image to select the direction you want to shoot.

You can also use the distortion to create images that would not be possible otherwise. Here's me paragliding with a vulture.

A personal opinion, I hate hate hate line mount shots. The result looks like crap. You can't see anything useful.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:00 pm

Disagree Ozbungy, I have lately found the linecams gives you EXQUISITELY good pictures very often :thumb:

Opposed to helmetcams or chestcams, that gives you almost ZERO unfortunately… :roll:

Two examples, my friend Ralf out here in Capetown:

Ralf3.jpg

And myself a few weeks ago here in Denmark:

20.jpg

On a foilboard having fun in waves:

pf40.jpg

Or just bashing around in my local homebreak here:

14.jpg

Going for some aerial spray

02.jpg

Not bad angles, is it?

8) Peter

acodring
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ottawa
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Above water
Gear: OR fanboi.
Been thanked: 0

Postby acodring » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:50 am

Peter_Frank:
Not bad angles, is it?
I agree those angles make for some compelling pics.
How far up the lines is your cam (GoPro Fusion, right?) mounted?
Andrew

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:08 pm

acodring wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:50 am
Peter_Frank:
Not bad angles, is it?
I agree those angles make for some compelling pics.
How far up the lines is your cam (GoPro Fusion, right?) mounted?
Andrew

Hi Andrew

My lincecam is 1 meter above the V, which is 5 meters away on most of my bars.

Use a GoPro 6 myself, with a remote and shoot short videoclips in highdef and pick the pic later.
And always in linear mode so things dont get "round".

I guess the first pic from Ralf, is on a bar with a normal low V, so probably 2 max 3 meters away, but then set to wide angle instead, almost same "view" as a higher mount linear, just round edges.

For a kitecamI I use a pocket cam often set about 2 times optical zoom, but sometimes only 24 mm a tad wideangle.

A few days ago near CapeTown, GoPro with Quark stabilization, mounted just above the "V", smaller waves inside but super clean:

Kitecam on the center strut set a bit below 35 mm zoom last week (picture nothing special, but illustrates the potential, right?):

A GoPro cam is utterly useless as a kitecam IMO, but great for a linecam :thumb:

8) Peter

ptben
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anywhere in North Wales
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr (UK), Gwithian (UK), Ponta Preta & Ponta Leme (Sal, Cape Verde)
Gear: Slingshot | Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot | Ride Engine

Postby ptben » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:11 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:30 pm
SaulOhio wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:05 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:53 am
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Every time I get mine wet it seems to be slightly blocked the next day. I need to force it a bit, but then it works fine after.

--
Gunnar
Make sure you rinse in in fresh water after you use it. Better to rinse it before you force it. Forcing it while it has salt crystals in the joint will probably cause wear, reducing the life of the Quark.
I rinse it every time as soon as I get out of the water. Still seizes up.

--
Gunnar
Be careful rinsing the Quark as this is what Noir Matter advised me to do after each session and then the Quark completely seized up. I paid to send it back to them and after a few weeks this was their response "Yes unfortunately your Quark has been damaged by water, it was completely wet inside and there was nothing we could do to fix it." :angryfire:

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Out of interest, how did you rinse it? Under a running tap or into a bowl of water? I assume gentle rinse in a bowl of water would be less likely to breach any seals?

ptben
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anywhere in North Wales
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr (UK), Gwithian (UK), Ponta Preta & Ponta Leme (Sal, Cape Verde)
Gear: Slingshot | Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot | Ride Engine

Postby ptben » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:44 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:33 pm
Out of interest, how did you rinse it? Under a running tap or into a bowl of water? I assume gentle rinse in a bowl of water would be less likely to breach any seals?
Gentle poor of freshwater either from the tap in my campervan or just from a bottle, either way very low pressure.

fedecossu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Porto Botte, Italy
Style: Freeride / Freestyle / Wave
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby fedecossu » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:17 pm

ptben wrote: Be careful rinsing the Quark as this is what Noir Matter advised me to do after each session and then the Quark completely seized up. I paid to send it back to them and after a few weeks this was their response "Yes unfortunately your Quark has been damaged by water, it was completely wet inside and there was nothing we could do to fix it." :angryfire:
The same thing happened to me and they gave me a similar answer! Someone living in the US should file a complaint with the Bureau of Consumer Protection and stop this company from deceiving customers!
These users thanked the author fedecossu for the post:
ptben (Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Its a difficult one, or maybe very simple in fact.

The Quark is apparently the only digital gyro that works just perfect :thumb:

My friend had a REVL too, but it can not hold the horizon (and now they are apparently out of business)

But we all know now, that the Quark isnt fully watertight.

The same as watertight pocket cams, you will sooner or later get water inside, as just a teeny weeny sand grain in the sealing, and the camera is toast - thats how it is, we all know that.

I've had mine (Quark) in the water a couple of times, and rinsed sand many times under the tap, and it still works.

But I KNOW, if I get it down for a longer period, it is toast.

Thats just the way it is, quite inexpensive (quarter the price of a good kitecam) so not that bad really.
The worst thing is the long waiting time :wink:

So I see it like this, we know it isnt fully watertight, and take a chance every time out - but it is worth it when looking at the video and pictures, nothing comes close in terms of stabilization :thumb:

I had a kite with a repaired front tube - it suddenly blew up in the air, and my (watertight Sony) kitecam went down 1 m under the water while I was swimming ahore.
It did not survive, almost expexted, 50 50 chance.

The memory card worked, so could see the explosion afterwards, quite funny.

These cameras are a "wear" thing in my experience, after many years with action and kitecams, its just the way it is.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”