Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2018 Naish Slash

Forum for kitesurfers
magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Naish Slash

Postby magnusod » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:11 pm

tautologies wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:52 am
Hey yeah well...mostly for the 7. I did not ride it side by side, but my take is as follows. LE and struts are significantly thinner. I mean really significantly. The 7 recommended PSI you have to lean into. It gives a better feel to the kite in some really great ways. Super easy to turn, drifts like crazy. Its still the same overall feel in terms of how turning the kite feels on the bar, and through its power range...it still eats gusts like its nothing. I've been riding it quite a bit with my foil and can back up the kite and ride waves with my foil. I have used it with my TT..it still jumps high with great hangtime, but still feels controllable and you do not get the neck breaking pull that you can get super powered on the pivot.

So I did not get the first version of the slash, but I had the 7 in 2018 and now in 2019. To what extent you should get the 2019 I can't really answer for you. Personally I felt the new slash was different, but recognizable. The LE and struts are thin, which makes the kite lighter. It also makes the kite be able to do faster turns, it feels like to me, and riding straight towards it on a foil, the kite drifted like it was nothing., then at the end, I looped it at the center of the window to changed direction and power it back up. On surfboards, the kite was just drifting waiting for me to reengage. The reason I mention the foil, is because I kited it in much lighter winds, which would be a good way to find misbehaviors. On a surfboard, I normally ride stormy winds and the slash is fantastic. I have to say both 2018 and 2019 is great in any wave, but felt like the improvements could be felt across the performance in waves. Except maybe on the jumping. I did not feel a significant difference there.

Not I am not an extreme rider in any way so what works for me might not work for everyone. I am glad I upgraded. I like new toys.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. The differences are clearly bigger than I was expecting. Naish are really moderate about their description of the improvements from year to year. Might even wait a year until the 2019 are on sale.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:22 pm

magnusod wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks for the detailed feedback. The differences are clearly bigger than I was expecting. Naish are really moderate about their description of the improvements from year to year. Might even wait a year until the 2019 are on sale.
If you have a gap in your quiver, then I would just get this year's, and sell it right before next sale. The difference in struts surprised me too.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:16 am

tautologies wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:22 pm
magnusod wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:11 pm

If you have a gap in your quiver, then I would just get this year's, and sell it right before next sale. The difference in struts surprised me too.
No gap in my quiver. Going to replace my 2016 11 m Pivot with a 10 m Slash. Mainly because with a foil I can go even smaller with my biggest kite and also get a better kite for the lightwind wave days. As you mentioned Slash seems to be better suited to foiling than the Pivot as it drifts better.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:42 pm

magnusod wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:16 am

No gap in my quiver. Going to replace my 2016 11 m Pivot with a 10 m Slash. Mainly because with a foil I can go even smaller with my biggest kite and also get a better kite for the lightwind wave days. As you mentioned Slash seems to be better suited to foiling than the Pivot as it drifts better.
Ah nice. :thumb:
Yeah I think slash is better for foiling. I do think the pivot has better low end than the slash tho.

Return to “Kitesurfing”