Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does board volume still matter for water starts?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Does board volume still matter for water starts?

Postby slowboat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Now that many, including learners are using high lift wings, it seems that bigger boards are just harder to handle and position and do not really help much. Even in underpowered water starts (not extreme light winds but just trying to use a smaller kite), I find that what matters most is how quickly I can get my wing to lift my board off the water, and a larger, heavier board seems detrimental. I know PF will disagree, how about others? For those who still like volume for lighter wind days, how much volume?

freotilo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: woodmans point fremantle Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Lancelin wa
Style: mostly surf and hydrofoil strapless
Gear: Rrd religion 7m f one bandit 9m

Re: Does board volume still matter for water starts?

Postby freotilo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:49 pm

I started on a 35 l slingshot converter and sold it after a season , since then I changed to the space skate wing and simply mounted it on an old twin tip and wondered if it would even float the foil, turns out I can even sit on it with 8o kg comfortably for relaunch and if need be I could paddle on it for self rescue which never happened to me

even when sitting on the board while riding I feel like the only thing im missing is stiffness in the nose and and more nose scoop, I never found myself missing the volume and I think technique and a big wing are all u ever need in normal conditions and myself and most better riders that I hear from prefer low volume for more freestyle minded riding which is all im interested in

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 pm

I dont disagree - a heavier board is no good :(

Size matters hugely in marginal winds, but that was not your question.

But at my mediocre level where I sometimes get down on the surface in transitions, even up to medium winds 8-9 knots (lots of wind for foiling), volume and size has huge benefits IMO.

The important thing is, that if you make a board with more volume, same size, it can be even lighter and also superstiff, OR, you can make it bigger and same weight and still a lot stiffer.

Stiffness means everything IMO, and lightweight is key, especially if a bigger board - not so important with really short boards, where it doesnt matter much.

When sufficient wind, lots of wind actually, from 10 knots, the smaller the board, the better.

8) PF

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 pm
I dont disagree - a heavier board is no good :(

Size matters hugely in marginal winds, but that was not your question.

But at my mediocre level where I sometimes get down on the surface in transitions, even up to medium winds 8-9 knots (lots of wind for foiling), volume and size has huge benefits IMO.

The important thing is, that if you make a board with more volume, same size, it can be even lighter and also superstiff, OR, you can make it bigger and same weight and still a lot stiffer.

Stiffness means everything IMO, and lightweight is key, especially if a bigger board - not so important with really short boards, where it doesnt matter much.

When sufficient wind, lots of wind actually, from 10 knots, the smaller the board, the better.

8) PF
Sorry, I didn't word my question well. Can we leave weight out of it and discuss volume? To help touchdowns, what do you think minimum vol is? (I understand there are many board factors besides volume, but it is an important one.)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:11 pm

You got your point right, I agree.
One thing to notice though is volume might be detrimental for strapless waterstarts. Thin boards bite into water deeper making it easier to have your feet placed.
I expect that very soon we’ll see more boards with thicker lengthwise “spine” and “twintip thin” rails, especially in pocketboard category.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:00 am

I think a no volume board is an easier waterstart especially in light winds.

For touchdowns especially in chop I like my board with volume better. But I don’t think it’s the volume that helps but rather the shape of the bottom that gives a gentle touchdown.

In the lightest winds if I touch down and come to a stop during a foot switch I like the no volume board again. Once it sinks 8 inches the balance and footswich becomes easier. And once the kite is moving I’m up on board and then foil quite soon.

Most of my foiling is on a 900 cm2 wing, mostly underpowered with the kite.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:16 am

jakemoore wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:00 am
I think a no volume board is an easier waterstart especially in light winds.

For touchdowns especially in chop I like my board with volume better. But I don’t think it’s the volume that helps but rather the shape of the bottom that gives a gentle touchdown.

In the lightest winds if I touch down and come to a stop during a foot switch I like the no volume board again. Once it sinks 8 inches the balance and footswich becomes easier. And once the kite is moving I’m up on board and then foil quite soon.

Most of my foiling is on a 900 cm2 wing, mostly underpowered with the kite.
This makes sense. For gentle touchdowns, is the right rocker most important?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:18 am

I think that if you are heavy, like I am, a no volume board is very difficult to get up and going. While I was in the Bahamas this year at the Cabrinha dealer meeting, I had a chance to first try the Double Agent, then the X-Breed Foil board. The winds were pretty light (I was on a 17 Contra in about 10-12 mph) and I couldn't even ever get up and going on the Double Agent. It just didn't have the volume necessary to support me after the initial dive/upstroke where I was struggling to get going. I shifted over to the X-Breed Foil and I got up immediately and every time thereafter. I really think that's the main reason I'd want to have some volume versus one that doesn't. If I wasn't 235 pies or lived someplace windy, well, then maybe it wouldn't matter.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:34 pm

The thing is. With a bigger wing like the moses 633, if the kite will lift you out of the water easily, then it's really easy to pop up to flying directly. If you're a noob, it might take some practice, but not as much as for example learning a flying footswitch.
I'm on a 120cm board and it's not feeling small.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:57 pm

I personally see zero need for volume. However in ultralight winds additional surface area would be of benefit.

Oh, Maybe one use for volume could be floatation if the wind dies and you want to use the board as a floatation device.

Return to “Hydrofoil”