A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses Onda is there better for me

Postby airsurfer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:12 pm

I have all three Moses Onda wings 633 683 and 873 and hundreds of hours on the 633 and 683 They are excellent and the 683 is my favorite. Moses makes a great product and you can't go wrong with it. BUT a couple of months ago I bought an NP Surf glide for sup foiling and while I was waiting for my sup foil board and 873 wing I started kite foiling with it. Since then my Moses gear mostly stays in the truck. I love the surf glide. Why? NP catches waves better its a true surf foil turns glides pumps more stable handles speed better than the Moses Onda wings and doesn't lose lift in turns. NP is a high quality product I have the large and medium front wings they're light and very strong pre preg carbon construction. The mast on the NP is thin and wide and very stiff no flex no wobbles. The large wing is 1600cm but I use it in high wind and waves and can push it harder and faster than the 633 in most conditions. I like that the NP is higher aspect but also thicker profile and more lift area and no sharp edges to bite me.

The NP M wing is the same size as the 633 but can go very slow or faster than 633 more like the 683. The NP glide large comes with 2 carbon rear stabilizers great value at $899. The downside to the NP its 2-2.5lb heavier than Moses depending on mast and wing size. Give it a try if you can get your hands on one you might like it .
Attachments
Resized_20181207_160503_7345.jpeg
Resized_20181207_155459_1569.jpeg
These users thanked the author airsurfer for the post (total 2):
grigorib (Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:42 pm) • Huib (Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:16 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:19 am

airsurfer wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:12 pm
I have all three Moses Onda wings 633 683 and 873 and hundreds of hours on the 633 and 683 They are excellent and the 683 is my favorite. Moses makes a great product and you can't go wrong with it. BUT a couple of months ago I bought an NP Surf glide for sup foiling and while I was waiting for my sup foil board and 873 wing I started kite foiling with it. Since then my Moses gear mostly stays in the truck. I love the surf glide. Why? NP catches waves better its a true surf foil turns glides pumps more stable handles speed better than the Moses Onda wings and doesn't lose lift in turns. NP is a high quality product I have the large and medium front wings they're light and very strong pre preg carbon construction. The mast on the NP is thin and wide and very stiff no flex no wobbles. The large wing is 1600cm but I use it in high wind and waves and can push it harder and faster than the 633 in most conditions. I like that the NP is higher aspect but also thicker profile and more lift area and no sharp edges to bite me.

The NP M wing is the same size as the 633 but can go very slow or faster than 633 more like the 683. The NP glide large comes with 2 carbon rear stabilizers great value at $899. The downside to the NP its 2-2.5lb heavier than Moses depending on mast and wing size. Give it a try if you can get your hands on one you might like it .
Interesting review and comments on NP.
Anyone else with similar experience or other comment?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 am

I have similar experience with a gofoil. Use it most of the time as it’s better in the waves than the Onda. Have the kai and Iwa. It goes slower but doesn’t go faster than Onda. Generates lift in the turn and really truly feels like your surfing in the waves.

However when it’s flat I’m on the Onda, going fast and trying strapless shenanigans.

Gofoil is a pain to travel with and stays at home thou.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:29 am

airsurfer wrote:

Indeed very interessting are you comments on the NP. What is your mast length? 70cm?
Have you used already the massive 873 wing with kitefoiling?

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 pm

jespin4845 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 am
I have similar experience with a gofoil. Use it most of the time as it’s better in the waves than the Onda. Have the kai and Iwa. It goes slower but doesn’t go faster than Onda. Generates lift in the turn and really truly feels like your surfing in the waves.

However when it’s flat I’m on the Onda, going fast and trying strapless shenanigans.

Interesting, I found Onda 633 perfect balance to kitefoiling both in waves and flat water. Iwa is a really large wing. Do you ride Kai or Iwa more often?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:50 pm

airsurfer wrote:
I have all three Moses Onda wings 633 683 and 873 and hundreds of hours on the 633 and 683 They are excellent and the 683 is my favorite.
Love to get your comparison of the 633 vs 683. I’m riding the 633 strapless right now, and even though I have only about 25 hours on it, I’ve fallen in love with it. Once I learn to ride with straps I plan on starting to jump but I’ve heard that’s no bueno on the 633 and wonder if the 683 would be better since it’s smaller?

I ended up going with the onda for lighter weight and foils which are easier to pack and travel with.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Huib wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:29 am
airsurfer wrote:
Indeed very interessting are you comments on the NP. What is your mast length? 70cm?
Have you used already the massive 873 wing with kitefoiling?
I have the. 60 and 80cm NP glide masts and they actually measure 70 and 90cm with the plate (the photo I posted earlier is the 60 mast its almost the same as the moses 71 ) . For the onda wings I use the 97vorace and 91 and 71 fluente masts.

I have kited the 873 several time it was good fun for laughs or spotting fish at walking cruising speed but it's very big and slow and too cumbersome for kiting even with very small kites. 873 is as big as some guys foil boards on this forum :) Also I find the 873 nervous and twitchy in moving water not sure if its the winglets or the flat profile or what causes it . I think it needs a different stabilizer I've been using the NP large stabilizer on the onda wings and it settles it down a bit.

683 vs 633 its a personal preference 683 is a great wing for kiting it glides and accelerates better than 633 holds speed better which makes it more fun on bigger faster waves. It goes upwind better and turns smoother than 633. It doesn't pump as well as the 633 and under 12knots the 633 is a better choice. As for jumping im sure the 683 is better for re entry and speed but the better choice would be the 637 set or 550.
These users thanked the author airsurfer for the post:
grigorib (Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:33 am)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:01 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 pm
jespin4845 wrote:

Interesting, I found Onda 633 perfect balance to kitefoiling both in waves and flat water. Iwa is a really large wing. Do you ride Kai or Iwa more often?
It’s curious how many of us (including myself) prefer the same foil for waves AND flat water. Shouldn’t they have different performance characteristics?

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 pm

How about the AXIS 2019 S-Series 68 Foil? 1120 cm2 front wing and lots of mast options : 60/68/75/90/105cm.
Limited reviews but seems like a solid design and no razor sharp edges. Know a guy who sliced the tendon on the top of his foot just by lightly kicking the wing and needed surgery.
To me the Lift 170, Axis 68 and MFC 1250 all seem good options (MFC is expensive and availability is not good though).
Tony

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:50 pm

slowboat wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:01 pm
WH Lithuania wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 pm
jespin4845 wrote:

It’s curious how many of us (including myself) prefer the same foil for waves AND flat water. Shouldn’t they have different performance characteristics?
It really depends on what you do on flat water. I mostly train tacks/turns, so Onda works simply perfect for me. Others prefer some speed distances so they prefer higher aspect wings.

Return to “Hydrofoil”