Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What Is Kiteboarding? A Video Explanation For Family & Friends

Forum for kitesurfers
Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

What Is Kiteboarding? A Video Explanation For Family & Friends

Postby Okkiteboarder » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:47 pm

fullsizeoutput_24d0.jpeg

A quick video to share with family and friends and to decrease the redundancy of your answer to: What exactly do you enjoy doing????? Maybe this is only an inland kiter's issue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5DCarnrj0s

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: What Is Kiteboarding? A Video Explanation For Family & Friends

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 am

If you family and friends need explanation of what kiteboarding is, they probably don't give a damn about what is it nor about you, they haven't been interested in your life and hobbies, and you're wasting your time trying to answer their "have to be polite, have to show interest" questions.

Find someone who's eyes are lit about you, about the sport and take them with you to watch, learn and ride - they might not be your blood, but they're your soul.

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma

Postby Okkiteboarder » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:31 am

grigorib wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 am
If you family and friends need explanation of what kiteboarding is, they probably don't give a damn about what is it nor about you, they haven't been interested in your life and hobbies, and you're wasting your time trying to answer their "have to be polite, have to show interest" questions.

Find someone who's eyes are lit about you, about the sport and take them with you to watch, learn and ride - they might not be your blood, but they're your soul.
Grigorib, you really escalated that quickly. I like your style.

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:36 am

grigorib wrote:

Ah ok....

Anyways. Good video man. It’s true, people always think it’s parasailing for some reason. I usually just say surfing or windsurfing, and to people who are really clueless about the sport, sailing haha. Just cause some of my family and friends don’t share my passion and won’t sit on a cold windy beach for hours to watch me have fun doesn’t mean I will disown them...pretty selfish. Anyways thought your video was good, and enjoy your other ones. :thumb:

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster

Postby Okkiteboarder » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:52 am

Kiterisland wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:36 am
grigorib wrote:

Ah ok....

Anyways. Good video man. It’s true, people always think it’s parasailing for some reason. I usually just say surfing or windsurfing, and to people who are really clueless about the sport, sailing haha. Just cause some of my family and friends don’t share my passion and won’t sit on a cold windy beach for hours to watch me have fun doesn’t mean I will disown them...pretty selfish. Anyways thought your video was good, and enjoy your other ones. :thumb:
Thx! Kiterisland

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Nice Video dude and a smooth edit!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Nice vid but if you have to explain it, they’ll never get it.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Nice video, OKk. I always enjoy watching your stuff.....to the point, touch of dry humor, good production. Thanks for posting. :thumb:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:59 am

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:31 am
grigorib wrote:
Find someone whose eyes are lit about you, about the sport and take them with you to watch, learn and ride - they might not be your blood, but they're your soul.
Grigorib, you really escalated that quickly. I like your style.
You captured a good topic - there are always people who ask, and I’ve met both - superficial ones and those sincerely curious. And as much as it’s waste of time to talk to the first kind, it’s fun to spend hours with folks whose breath is taken away by what they hear and see.

And yes, people have same stereotypes you listed :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”